KT7a wire trick killed CPU

I tried connecting AJ27 to AH26 on my KT7a mobo to unlock higher multipliers
and now board will not boot.

I have since tried old Duron processor in board and it boots fine so mobo is
ok.

Anyone had this happen to them before?

Thanks

---
More about kt7a wire trick killed

    Ger72 wrote:
    > I tried connecting AJ27 to AH26 on my KT7a mobo to unlock higher
    > multipliers and now board will not boot.
    >
    > I have since tried old Duron processor in board and it boots fine so
    > mobo is ok.

    I'm assuming the chip worked before the pinmod, failed to boot with the
    pinmod on, still failed to boot with the pinmod removed, but the motherboard
    worked with a different chip. In this case, you've probably killed the chip
    by connecting up the wrong pins. It's very easy to do wrong due to the
    near-symmetrical nature of the pin layout. Usually, an incorrect pinmod just
    stops the chip from booting until it is removed, but there's probably some
    combinations that do nuke the chip. Another problem when using wire is that
    is can make the chip not sit completely flush with the socket. This can make
    it have bad contact with the HSF, with the usual problems coming from this
    (instability, chip cooking itself on motherboard without the diode thermal
    protection hardware).

    Also, the wire trick does not unlock multipliers, it just changes the 5th
    multiplier bit. If you've got a, say, Barton 2600 that's got a stock 11.5x
    multiplier and you use a pinmod/etc only with the 5th L5, then you'll be
    trying to run it at a 19.0x multiplier, which has a very low chance of
    succeeding if you run a 133Mhz FSB. Similarly, the 2500 gets a multiplier of
    3.0, which is not supported by most desktop boards (ie: won't boot). The way
    to fix this is to modify a few more pins to get the multiplier to a sane
    level. I've done a bit of an analysis on the options (mainly aimed at the
    K7D, but applicible elsewhere) at:
    http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdmults/

    --
    Michael Brown