KT7a wire trick killed CPU

I tried connecting AJ27 to AH26 on my KT7a mobo to unlock higher multipliers
and now board will not boot.

I have since tried old Duron processor in board and it boots fine so mobo is
ok.

Anyone had this happen to them before?

Thanks

---

Ger72 wrote:
> I tried connecting AJ27 to AH26 on my KT7a mobo to unlock higher
> multipliers and now board will not boot.
>
> I have since tried old Duron processor in board and it boots fine so
> mobo is ok.

I'm assuming the chip worked before the pinmod, failed to boot with the
pinmod on, still failed to boot with the pinmod removed, but the motherboard
worked with a different chip. In this case, you've probably killed the chip
by connecting up the wrong pins. It's very easy to do wrong due to the
near-symmetrical nature of the pin layout. Usually, an incorrect pinmod just
stops the chip from booting until it is removed, but there's probably some
combinations that do nuke the chip. Another problem when using wire is that
is can make the chip not sit completely flush with the socket. This can make
it have bad contact with the HSF, with the usual problems coming from this
(instability, chip cooking itself on motherboard without the diode thermal
protection hardware).

Also, the wire trick does not unlock multipliers, it just changes the 5th
multiplier bit. If you've got a, say, Barton 2600 that's got a stock 11.5x
multiplier and you use a pinmod/etc only with the 5th L5, then you'll be
trying to run it at a 19.0x multiplier, which has a very low chance of
succeeding if you run a 133Mhz FSB. Similarly, the 2500 gets a multiplier of
3.0, which is not supported by most desktop boards (ie: won't boot). The way
to fix this is to modify a few more pins to get the multiplier to a sane
level. I've done a bit of an analysis on the options (mainly aimed at the
K7D, but applicible elsewhere) at:
http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdmults/

--
Michael Brown