Best hardware for XP?

Hello there!

Currently, the PC that I'm using (Dell 4600) is a great little machine, but
it has many issues: very slow (despite 3.2GHz processor and 2G RAM), has
noise in its core audio, and its HDD fragments too often to be useful for
video editing.

No biggie - so here's my question: For XP, what would be the best machine
out there for audio and video work? I feel that my current machine's
bottlenecks and other difficulties coul be residing within its motherboard,
hence, my consideration for a possible replacement.

If there are any good experiences out there, I'd like to know of them, be
they with manufactured PCs as well as ones built part by part (names of
motherboard manufactures would be great).

Thanks to all in advance for your time - I truly appreciate and value your
opinions and experiences!

I would recommend performing some computer housecleaning
maintenance:

Download the thirty day trial version of System Mechanic and
scan your computer for 'Junk Files', then 'Find and Fix Broken Shortcuts'.
http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/index.cfm

System Mechanic Optimization Tools
http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/index.cfm#optimize

Then perform the following:

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=FTPSUQIZQVMUYTACDCO

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"HP32e" wrote:

| Hello there!
|
| Currently, the PC that I'm using (Dell 4600) is a great little machine, but
| it has many issues: very slow (despite 3.2GHz processor and 2G RAM), has
| noise in its core audio, and its HDD fragments too often to be useful for
| video editing.
|
| No biggie - so here's my question: For XP, what would be the best machine
| out there for audio and video work? I feel that my current machine's
| bottlenecks and other difficulties coul be residing within its motherboard,
| hence, my consideration for a possible replacement.
|
| If there are any good experiences out there, I'd like to know of them, be
| they with manufactured PCs as well as ones built part by part (names of
| motherboard manufactures would be great).
|
| Thanks to all in advance for your time - I truly appreciate and value your
| opinions and experiences!

Thanks for a most informative post!

Just one more thing: where can I download Windows XP Service Pack 2 as a
stand-alone so that I will be able to apply it BEFORE my computer is
connected to the internet (after I re-image the HDD one last time)?

Thanks again!

There is no such thing as best hardware and or software but only *better* or
*worse* ones.

You can download the standalone installer of Windows XP SP2 here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

HP32e wrote:
> Thanks for a most informative post!
>
> Just one more thing: where can I download Windows XP Service Pack 2 as a
> stand-alone so that I will be able to apply it BEFORE my computer is
> connected to the internet (after I re-image the HDD one last time)?
>
> Thanks again!

You could also have Microsoft send you a CD with the Service Pack which
makes it much easier in the future if you have to fix the computer or a
friend's.

No matter what machine you get, it will eventually fragment; I'd say you
have a pretty posh machine - Mine is a 1.5ghtz with 512 Meg RAM and it runs
XP just fine. Ok so I don't do video editing on it - but it runs DVD's OK,
no dramas.

> Hello there!
>
> Currently, the PC that I'm using (Dell 4600) is a great little machine,
> but
> it has many issues: very slow (despite 3.2GHz processor and 2G RAM), has
> noise in its core audio, and its HDD fragments too often to be useful for
> video editing.
>
> No biggie - so here's my question: For XP, what would be the best machine
> out there for audio and video work? I feel that my current machine's
> bottlenecks and other difficulties coul be residing within its
> motherboard,
> hence, my consideration for a possible replacement.
>
> If there are any good experiences out there, I'd like to know of them, be
> they with manufactured PCs as well as ones built part by part (names of
> motherboard manufactures would be great).
>
> Thanks to all in advance for your time - I truly appreciate and value your
> opinions and experiences!

Every component "looks" fine for your needs. However there are a few
options that you will need to look at:

1) Run anti-virus and anti-spyware utilities. Keep then up to date and run
scans periodically.

2) Run disk clean-up and defrag utilities periodically.

3) Consider replace the "core" on-board audio with a more profession grade
sound card. Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum may be such a
card.

4) Add SCSI hard drives in an external hard drive unit. SCSI will give you
more throughput on the hard drives for video editing (since SCSI is
multi-threaded for reads/writes).

5) Add additional network adapters and/or consider Gigabit networking.