How does a current customer get a good upgradedeal?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 17, 2004 2:02:35 AM

Ok, I'm confused.
I've been with Cingular since it was Bellsouth Mobility. Why can't I get an
upgrade of my phone to something reasonably current? Every store I try to
work with wants me to pay an outrageous amount as if I were a new customer
without a History with this company. What gives? (I know it's about the
money Activations vs Monthly fees, but why not work a little to keep a
current customer?)

Regul8tr
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:16:26 PM

> Ok, I'm confused.
> I've been with Cingular since it was Bellsouth Mobility. Why can't I get
an
> upgrade of my phone to something reasonably current? Every store I try to
> work with wants me to pay an outrageous amount as if I were a new customer
> without a History with this company. What gives? (I know it's about the
> money Activations vs Monthly fees, but why not work a little to keep a
> current customer?)
>
> Regul8tr

The way I understand it, the only way an Authorized agent store gets paid is
to have you sign a new contract.

If what you're after is upgrading your phone without a new contract, you'll
have to go to a Cingular Company store.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 4:02:02 PM

In article <HV%Jc.5652$hP.290@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
"newsgroups.bellsouth.net" <regul8tr@bellsouth(dot)net> wrote:

> Ok, I'm confused.
> I've been with Cingular since it was Bellsouth Mobility. Why can't I get an
> upgrade of my phone to something reasonably current? Every store I try to
> work with wants me to pay an outrageous amount as if I were a new customer
> without a History with this company. What gives? (I know it's about the
> money Activations vs Monthly fees, but why not work a little to keep a
> current customer?)

New Customers get good deals Sony T637 $100 after rebate; so where's
the beef?
Related resources
July 17, 2004 4:02:03 PM

Why don't you get a new phone from Amazon or Letstalk.com, get $100 back for
the same phone and service? If you are with AWS, go to Cingular. If you are
with Cingular go to AWS, in 6 months they will be the same anyway!

Ben

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
> In article <HV%Jc.5652$hP.290@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
> "newsgroups.bellsouth.net" <regul8tr@bellsouth(dot)net> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I'm confused.
> > I've been with Cingular since it was Bellsouth Mobility. Why can't I get
an
> > upgrade of my phone to something reasonably current? Every store I try
> > work with wants me to pay an outrageous amount as if I were a new
customer
> > without a History with this company. What gives? (I know it's about the
> > money Activations vs Monthly fees, but why not work a little to keep a
> > current customer?)
>
> New Customers get good deals Sony T637 $100 after rebate; so where's
> the beef?
July 17, 2004 8:14:41 PM

"newsgroups.bellsouth.net" <regul8tr@bellsouth(dot)net> wrote in

> Ok, I'm confused.
> I've been with Cingular since it was Bellsouth Mobility. Why can't I
> get an upgrade of my phone to something reasonably current? Every
> store I try to work with wants me to pay an outrageous amount as if I
> were a new customer without a History with this company. What gives?
> (I know it's about the money Activations vs Monthly fees, but why not
> work a little to keep a current customer?)
>
> Regul8tr

I too have been with them since it was BS Mobility and have upgraded
twice. When your contract term expires you should qualify for an
upgrade as if you were a new customer. Forget the stores though.
Register online at cingular.com and it will tell you in your account
details what the term of your contract is and when it expires.

I just did this in the last two weeks (again) and they sent me the new
phone. I just popped in the old sim and all worked as expected.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 11:59:51 PM

Thanks for the input. For me $100.00 is a good sized chunk of change.
"What's the beef?" I feel that Cingular is not exactly interested in giving
those who actually pay the bills a "warm, fuzzy feeling" I don't have to
upgrade, I'd just like some sort of incentive to remain where I am.

Regul8tr

"newsgroups.bellsouth.net" <regul8tr@bellsouth(dot)net> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm confused.
> I've been with Cingular since it was Bellsouth Mobility. Why can't I get
an
> upgrade of my phone to something reasonably current? Every store I try to
> work with wants me to pay an outrageous amount as if I were a new customer
> without a History with this company. What gives? (I know it's about the
> money Activations vs Monthly fees, but why not work a little to keep a
> current customer?)
>
> Regul8tr

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 12:35:43 AM

> Thanks for the input. For me $100.00 is a good sized chunk of change.
> "What's the beef?" I feel that Cingular is not exactly interested in
giving
> those who actually pay the bills a "warm, fuzzy feeling" I don't have to
> upgrade, I'd just like some sort of incentive to remain where I am.
>
> Regul8tr
Call customer service and you can get the Samsung x427 now free, tell them
you saw it on their web site, you can probably talk them out of the bundle
that's offered there also.
bamp
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 3:40:52 AM

"newsgroups.bellsouth.net" <regul8tr@bellsouth(dot)net> wrote in message
| Thanks for the input. For me $100.00 is a good sized chunk of change.
| "What's the beef?" I feel that Cingular is not exactly interested in
giving
| those who actually pay the bills a "warm, fuzzy feeling" I don't have to
| upgrade, I'd just like some sort of incentive to remain where I am.

Some carriers don't even give old customers the same deal as the new
customer deals. Giving you $150-$200 off the phone for a one year contract I
feel is plenty good enough for customer retention. Of course I also prefer
keeping rates lower instead of just giving everyone a free $400 phone and
jacking the rates.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 5:45:07 AM

In article <j4jKc.852$Ak7.178@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
"newsgroups.bellsouth.net" <regul8tr@bellsouth(dot)net> wrote:

> anks for the input. For me $100.00 is a good sized chunk of change.
> "What's the beef?" I feel that Cingular is not exactly interested in giving
> those who actually pay the bills a "warm, fuzzy feeling" I don't have to
> upgrade, I'd just like some sort of incentive to remain where I am.

You are getting an incentive. You're getting the same good deal that new
customers get.
If a T637 is too pricey for you then a lower priced Samsung is available.
!