Ordering start menu items

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Back in windows XP I could drag programs and folders around in the start menu to order them any way I wanted (rather than being sorted alphabetically or whatever)... I cant for the life of me work out how to do that in windows 7.. does anyone know how?

D

Deleted member 217926

You have to tell it to not save recently opened programs - Taskbar and Start Menu Properties>Start Menu>uncheck the 2 privacy tabs to store and display recent things. Then just pin whatever you want to the Start Menu and you can move it around at will.

For recent programs and programs that are "Pinned" to the Start Menu (those are the ones you see right after clicking the "Start" orb), you can just drag them up and down to change their order.

The programs in the "All Programs" section of the Start Menu ("Start" -> "All Programs") can also be dragged up and down, but only if you haven't turned on the option to keep them sorted alphabetically. To change that option, do this:

- right-click the "Start" orb and select "Properties"
- click the "Start Menu" tab of the properties page dialogue box.
- click the "Customize..." button
- scroll down to the "Sort All Programs menu by name" option and check or uncheck it as desired.