Reading Off My Slave HD

Hello.

My Windows XP Professional SP2 HD won't boot. The hard drive is fine
though.

I set it to slave and used another XP Hard Drive so that I could copy
my files over to the new HD and just format the old.

However, whenever I try to get into "F:\Documents and
Settings\MyUsername" I get this error: "Access is denied" because I
disabled sharing or whatnot.

Is there any way to get around this?

Thanks!

--
nicksmith
1 answer Last reply

    Courtesy of Rick Rogers

    Taking Ownership:

    Sometimes, in order to get access to a folder, you need to "take ownership"
    of it. To do this, you must be using an administrator account, or an account
    that has either a higher level of privileges or privileges equal to the
    account currently in control of the folder. First, you must be able to
    access the security tab of the folder properties. For the security tab to
    appear in a WindowsXP Pro system, you must disable simple file sharing in
    the control panel/folder options/view tab, it's at the bottom of the
    advanced settings. For a WindowsXP Home system, you must restart in safe
    mode and logon as administrator.

    Right-click the folder, select properties. Go to the security tab and click
    advanced. You can take control of the folders on the owner tab by clicking
    on your user account, then click apply/ok. Note also that these sorts of
    permissions are only available when using the NTFS file system, they are not
    supported in FAT or FAT32. More details here:

    HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    An additional note for WindowsXP Pro users: This procedure will not help you
    recover data if the files are encrypted. All you will be able to do is
    delete them. To recover encrypted files you will need the original
    encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under which
    they were encrypted. Without one of these, the files are not recoverable.

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "nicksmith" <nicksmith.1sk31o@pcbanter.net> kirjoitti viestissä

    > Hello.
    >
    > My Windows XP Professional SP2 HD won't boot. The hard drive is fine
    > though.
    >
    > I set it to slave and used another XP Hard Drive so that I could copy
    > my files over to the new HD and just format the old.
    >
    > However, whenever I try to get into "F:\Documents and
    > Settings\MyUsername" I get this error: "Access is denied" because I
    > disabled sharing or whatnot.
    >
    > Is there any way to get around this?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --