tired of non-OC heat problems

Barton 2500+

My machine started shutting down spotaneously a while back and I've
finally tracked it down to a overheating problem. I didn't change
anything, it just started happening and got worse and worse.

So I took the machine apart and cleaned the heatsink fins and remounted
it on the CPU. No help. MBM5 showed diode at almost 70C when idle!

Bought a Aeroflow2 and changed bios to 200x9, and now it's idling at 52C
with spikes into the 70C and the fan noise is miserable! Is this
acceptable?

I'm most interested in stability, but would like to get acceptable
performance out of this cpu.

Thanks for any comments

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Travis Hume" <travishume@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Barton 2500+
>
> My machine started shutting down spotaneously a while back and I've
> finally tracked it down to a overheating problem. I didn't change
> anything, it just started happening and got worse and worse.
>
> So I took the machine apart and cleaned the heatsink fins and remounted
> it on the CPU. No help. MBM5 showed diode at almost 70C when idle!

What temps do you have for case, ambient (if you've got a cheap thermometer
or guess from experience) and socket. Start with ambient vs case temp, this
shows how effective, or not, your case cooling is. My ambient is around
20C, my case is around 26C running seti 24/7 with heavily overclocked
system.

Your first target should be to get ambient vs case temp below 10C, I've
found in the past that good airflow into the case is just as critical as
good exhaust. I've got 2x80mm in the front of the case and a slow 120mm in
the side, blowing onto the HSF. The other day I tried reversing the side
fan so that it blew air out of the case, my case temp went from 26C to 33C,
now swapped back.

> Bought a Aeroflow2 and changed bios to 200x9, and now it's idling at 52C
> with spikes into the 70C and the fan noise is miserable! Is this
> acceptable?
>
> I'm most interested in stability, but would like to get acceptable
> performance out of this cpu.
>
> Thanks for any comments

Let us know how you get on.

--
Ian

Right now MBM5 shows:

case: 31C
socket: 46C
diode: 58

I'll exhaust upper rear and intake lower front and see how it goes.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Apollo wrote:

> "Travis Hume" <travishume@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Barton 2500+
>>
>>My machine started shutting down spotaneously a while back and I've
>>finally tracked it down to a overheating problem. I didn't change
>>anything, it just started happening and got worse and worse.
>>
>>So I took the machine apart and cleaned the heatsink fins and remounted
>>it on the CPU. No help. MBM5 showed diode at almost 70C when idle!
>>

> What temps do you have for case, ambient (if you've got a cheap thermometer
> or guess from experience) and socket. Start with ambient vs case temp, this
> shows how effective, or not, your case cooling is. My ambient is around
> 20C, my case is around 26C running seti 24/7 with heavily overclocked
> system.
>
> Your first target should be to get ambient vs case temp below 10C, I've
> found in the past that good airflow into the case is just as critical as
> good exhaust. I've got 2x80mm in the front of the case and a slow 120mm in
> the side, blowing onto the HSF. The other day I tried reversing the side
> fan so that it blew air out of the case, my case temp went from 26C to 33C,
> now swapped back.
>

>>Bought a Aeroflow2 and changed bios to 200x9, and now it's idling at 52C
>>with spikes into the 70C and the fan noise is miserable! Is this
>>acceptable?
>>
>>I'm most interested in stability, but would like to get acceptable
>>performance out of this cpu.
>>
>>Thanks for any comments
>

> Let us know how you get on.

Ok, I put a second 80mm fan in the case. Front in intake, rear is
exhaust. Not much difference though:

case: 24C
socket: 40C
diode: 55

I'm too tired of this to work on it anymore. I really prefer AMD, but
do P4s run a lot cooler?

Travis Hume wrote:
> Right now MBM5 shows:
>
> case: 31C
> socket: 46C
> diode: 58
>
> I'll exhaust upper rear and intake lower front and see how it goes.
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Apollo wrote:
>
>> "Travis Hume" <travishume@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Barton 2500+
>>>
>>> My machine started shutting down spotaneously a while back and I've
>>> finally tracked it down to a overheating problem. I didn't change
>>> anything, it just started happening and got worse and worse.
>>>
>>> So I took the machine apart and cleaned the heatsink fins and remounted
>>> it on the CPU. No help. MBM5 showed diode at almost 70C when idle!
>>>

>> What temps do you have for case, ambient (if you've got a cheap
>> thermometer
>> or guess from experience) and socket. Start with ambient vs case
>> temp, this
>> shows how effective, or not, your case cooling is. My ambient is around
>> 20C, my case is around 26C running seti 24/7 with heavily overclocked
>> system.
>>
>> Your first target should be to get ambient vs case temp below 10C, I've
>> found in the past that good airflow into the case is just as critical as
>> good exhaust. I've got 2x80mm in the front of the case and a slow
>> 120mm in
>> the side, blowing onto the HSF. The other day I tried reversing the side
>> fan so that it blew air out of the case, my case temp went from 26C to
>> 33C,
>> now swapped back.
>>

>>> Bought a Aeroflow2 and changed bios to 200x9, and now it's idling at 52C
>>> with spikes into the 70C and the fan noise is miserable! Is this
>>> acceptable?
>>>
>>> I'm most interested in stability, but would like to get acceptable
>>> performance out of this cpu.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any comments
>>

>> Let us know how you get on.

> Bought a Aeroflow2 and changed bios to 200x9, and now it's idling at 52C
> with spikes into the 70C and the fan noise is miserable! Is this
> acceptable?

Chances are that the DIE has some edge broken. You can still use it for
office work...

Josef Varela wrote:
>>Bought a Aeroflow2 and changed bios to 200x9, and now it's idling at 52C
>>with spikes into the 70C and the fan noise is miserable! Is this
>>acceptable?
>

> Chances are that the DIE has some edge broken. You can still use it for
> office work...

Interesting. I do only have 1 case fan in the lower front acting as an
exhaust fan. I might put another one in the rear as an intake and see
what happens.

Thanks for the help

> Interesting. I do only have 1 case fan in the lower front
acting as
> an exhaust fan. I might put another one in the rear as an
intake and
> see what happens.

That could very well be your problem. Adding an exhaust fan
to the upper rear of your case and turning the front fan
around as an intake will probably help more han you think.
I cut out the stamped grills on the lower front and upper
rear of my case, reinstalled the fans, and cut a hole and
added a side fan blowing directly at the CPU HSF and dropped
10 degrees celsius all the way around.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 09:24:41 -0700, Travis Hume wrote:

> Josef Varela wrote:
>>>Bought a Aeroflow2 and changed bios to 200x9, and now it's idling at 52C
>>>with spikes into the 70C and the fan noise is miserable! Is this
>>>acceptable?
>>

>> Chances are that the DIE has some edge broken. You can still use it for
>> office work...
>
> Interesting. I do only have 1 case fan in the lower front acting as an
> exhaust fan. I might put another one in the rear as an intake and see
> what happens.

You've got it backwards. Yor PSU already has an exhaust fan. The lower
front should be an intake fan. If you want to make it efficient, cut the
metal from around the front part intake, and make sure the plastic front
allows enough airflow too. I've had to cut the metal and enlarge the
plastic holes on almost every case I've bought. Done right will about
double airflow and also cut noise due to the fan starving for air.

With the front as an exhaust and the PSU fan as an exhuast, they're
working agiainst each other. Intakes low front, exhuast high rear is the
rule to follow.

alex

Have you put on any thermal compund between the heatsink and the processor?
If not, put some on - it'll help a fair bit ...

TRENDING THREADS