advice on new cpu+ram please

sunbow

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

currently running a t/bred xp2000 o/c to 2.08GHz and a Crucial ddr333 512MB
stick on an abit NF7. whats a good upgrade? will dual ram make a difference
with a fast barton cpu? gonna get ddr400 ram anyway.

Ta.

Sunbow

"Sunbow" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> currently running a t/bred xp2000 o/c to 2.08GHz and a Crucial ddr333
512MB
> stick on an abit NF7. whats a good upgrade? will dual ram make a
difference
> with a fast barton cpu? gonna get ddr400 ram anyway.

Sounds good so far.
Which NF7?
Ram, Kingmax seems nice for overclocking.
I've read on here a few times, but you may not have a problem, that is
with the "barton core"
Then again, I use both Intel chips & AMD chips.
I have (DDR333) running @ 404 running 202..

Please note, faster memory don't always mean better gaming, unless it's
Video Memory.
I like my AMD Over my P4 for gaming, even with the slower speed. Something
just seems better
on my AMD.

SiSoftware Sandra

Int Buffered iSSE2 (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 4880MB/s
Scaling : 4831MB/s
Addition : 4806MB/s
Triad : 4777MB/s
Data Item Size : 16-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 149% (estimated)

Float Buffered iSSE2 (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 4810MB/s
Scaling : 4798MB/s
Addition : 4757MB/s
Triad : 4741MB/s
Data Item Size : 16-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 148% (estimated)

Test Status
Memory Used by Test : 256MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : Yes
Number of Test SMT (per CPU) : 2
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : No

Chipset 1
Model : Giga-Byte Technology 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub
Interface
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 253MHz (1012MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 8096MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Speed : 2x 202MHz (404MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 3232MB/s (estimated)

Features
MMX Technology : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : Yes
SSE3 Technology : No
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes

Performance Tips
Notice 5406 : System bandwidth appears memory limited. Attempt to use
higher-performance memory.

Thinking that I have faster memory then I do have.
I think that's what makes Sandra give this message.

Notice 5008 : To change benchmarks, click Options.
Notice 5004 : Synthetic benchmark. May not tally with 'real-life'
performance.
Notice 5006 : Only compare the results with ones obtained using the same
version!
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more
information about the tip.

> Ta.
>
> Sunbow

Anyways, Your looking very good, go for it.
Denny. :) The U.S.A. is new, compared to other parts of the word, & our
law system is new in a way too.
Getting it right, won't be over night, nor will the laws change fast
either. :)