Dlink DI 624

We have 6 pc with Dlink DWL G520 and 1 DI 624, my boss gave me a second DI
624,
My question is how can use the second DI 624 to improve reception in 2 of de
pc's that are getting lower signal

Thanks

Well, you can use it as an Access Point, but it will take a bit of work. You
will first have to change its LAN IP address and disable DHCP. Then Make the
SSID something different then the first DI-624. Place the second router
close to the 2 computers giving you a problem and connect Ethernet cable
from Router #1 ethernet Port to router #2 ethernet port. Now configure your
2 systems to connect to the new SSID and you hould have it.

Everything would be easier if you purchased wireless repeater though.

Robert.....

"Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message
> We have 6 pc with Dlink DWL G520 and 1 DI 624, my boss gave me a second DI
> 624,
> My question is how can use the second DI 624 to improve reception in 2 of
> de
> pc's that are getting lower signal
>
> Thanks

Thanks is working great, but can you tell me what model of repeater from
Dlink should I get?

TIA

--

"DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Well, you can use it as an Access Point, but it will take a bit of work.
> You will first have to change its LAN IP address and disable DHCP. Then
> Make the SSID something different then the first DI-624. Place the second
> router close to the 2 computers giving you a problem and connect Ethernet
> cable from Router #1 ethernet Port to router #2 ethernet port. Now
> configure your 2 systems to connect to the new SSID and you hould have it.
>
> Everything would be easier if you purchased wireless repeater though.
>
> Robert.....
>
> "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message
>> We have 6 pc with Dlink DWL G520 and 1 DI 624, my boss gave me a second
>> DI
>> 624,
>> My question is how can use the second DI 624 to improve reception in 2 of
>> de
>> pc's that are getting lower signal
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> --

The DWL-G800 AP would be your best bet.

> Thanks is working great, but can you tell me what model of repeater from
> Dlink should I get?
>
> TIA
>
> --
>
> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Well, you can use it as an Access Point, but it will take a bit of work.
>> You will first have to change its LAN IP address and disable DHCP. Then
>> Make the SSID something different then the first DI-624. Place the second
>> router close to the 2 computers giving you a problem and connect Ethernet
>> cable from Router #1 ethernet Port to router #2 ethernet port. Now
>> configure your 2 systems to connect to the new SSID and you hould have
>> it.
>>
>> Everything would be easier if you purchased wireless repeater though.
>>
>> Robert.....
>>
>> "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message
>>> We have 6 pc with Dlink DWL G520 and 1 DI 624, my boss gave me a second
>>> DI
>>> 624,
>>> My question is how can use the second DI 624 to improve reception in 2
>>> of de
>>> pc's that are getting lower signal
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> --

I have a DI-624 and bought a DWL-2100AP to act as a repeater and improve
distant conections. I have not yet been able to get it work and the D-Link
information does not help with this mode of operation. How should the
repeater AP be correctly set up to extend the DI-624? Do I need a different
SSID for that?

Mike Bernstein

> The DWL-G800 AP would be your best bet.
>
> Robert...
>

> "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks is working great, but can you tell me what model of repeater from
>> Dlink should I get?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>>
>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> Well, you can use it as an Access Point, but it will take a bit of work.
>>> You will first have to change its LAN IP address and disable DHCP. Then
>>> Make the SSID something different then the first DI-624. Place the
>>> second router close to the 2 computers giving you a problem and connect
>>> Ethernet cable from Router #1 ethernet Port to router #2 ethernet port.
>>> Now configure your 2 systems to connect to the new SSID and you hould
>>> have it.
>>>
>>> Everything would be easier if you purchased wireless repeater though.
>>>
>>> Robert.....
>>>
>>> "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message

No, in repeater mode you use the same SSID as your router. First you must
connect your AP to a computer using ethernet to set it up. type in the
address 192.168.0.50 and use admin as the username and nothing, leave blank,
as the password.
Goto the wireless tab on the side of the page and place the SSID, same as
the router, and the channel, make different then the routers. Preferable
make the routers broadcast channel as 1 and the repeaters as 11, if you can
that is, a neighbor might be running a wireless network on those channels
also. When done hit the apply button.

Next click on the Advanced Tab across the top. Click on the AP repeater
bubble and place the routers MAC Address in the first box and the routers
SSID in the second box. When done hit the apply button.

If you have encryption enavled on the router, disable it until you get the
network working. After you confirm that the repeater is working, enable
encryption on the router and the repeater. Also make sure the router and AP
have the most current firmware installed to ensure bug fixes and max
compatability.

That should be it.

Robert......

"Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a DI-624 and bought a DWL-2100AP to act as a repeater and improve
>distant conections. I have not yet been able to get it work and the D-Link
>information does not help with this mode of operation. How should the
>repeater AP be correctly set up to extend the DI-624? Do I need a different
>SSID for that?
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> The DWL-G800 AP would be your best bet.
>>
>> Robert...
>>

>> "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks is working great, but can you tell me what model of repeater from
>>> Dlink should I get?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Thanks I will try this. Last time I used the same channel on both and maybe
that is why it didn't work.

Mike Bernstein

> No, in repeater mode you use the same SSID as your router. First you must
> connect your AP to a computer using ethernet to set it up. type in the
> address 192.168.0.50 and use admin as the username and nothing, leave
> blank, as the password.
> Goto the wireless tab on the side of the page and place the SSID, same as
> the router, and the channel, make different then the routers. Preferable
> make the routers broadcast channel as 1 and the repeaters as 11, if you
> can that is, a neighbor might be running a wireless network on those
> channels also. When done hit the apply button.
>
> Next click on the Advanced Tab across the top. Click on the AP repeater
> bubble and place the routers MAC Address in the first box and the routers
> SSID in the second box. When done hit the apply button.
>
> If you have encryption enavled on the router, disable it until you get the
> network working. After you confirm that the repeater is working, enable
> encryption on the router and the repeater. Also make sure the router and
> AP have the most current firmware installed to ensure bug fixes and max
> compatability.
>
> That should be it.
>
> Robert......
>

> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have a DI-624 and bought a DWL-2100AP to act as a repeater and improve
>>distant conections. I have not yet been able to get it work and the D-Link
>>information does not help with this mode of operation. How should the
>>repeater AP be correctly set up to extend the DI-624? Do I need a
>>different SSID for that?
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> The DWL-G800 AP would be your best bet.
>>>
>>> Robert...
>>>

>>> "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message

Even more thanks - I tried it and it works. It obviously was the channel
number thing.

Mike Bernstein

"DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> No, in repeater mode you use the same SSID as your router. First you must
> connect your AP to a computer using ethernet to set it up. type in the
> address 192.168.0.50 and use admin as the username and nothing, leave
> blank, as the password.
> Goto the wireless tab on the side of the page and place the SSID, same as
> the router, and the channel, make different then the routers. Preferable
> make the routers broadcast channel as 1 and the repeaters as 11, if you
> can that is, a neighbor might be running a wireless network on those
> channels also. When done hit the apply button.
>
> Next click on the Advanced Tab across the top. Click on the AP repeater
> bubble and place the routers MAC Address in the first box and the routers
> SSID in the second box. When done hit the apply button.
>
> If you have encryption enavled on the router, disable it until you get the
> network working. After you confirm that the repeater is working, enable
> encryption on the router and the repeater. Also make sure the router and
> AP have the most current firmware installed to ensure bug fixes and max
> compatability.
>
> That should be it.
>
> Robert......
>

> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have a DI-624 and bought a DWL-2100AP to act as a repeater and improve
>>distant conections. I have not yet been able to get it work and the D-Link
>>information does not help with this mode of operation. How should the
>>repeater AP be correctly set up to extend the DI-624? Do I need a
>>different SSID for that?
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> The DWL-G800 AP would be your best bet.