computer won't start to allow anything

i left my pc on in the evening, and in the morning found the following:
the picture on the screen is scrambled, impossible to read or do
anything, and then it switches off and restarts automatically, and
continues this off and on with scrambled pixel, indefinitely. switched
it off let it cool down, switched on, same story. no clue what's
happenning. is it toast? thanks for any help.

Assuming it's not a hardware issue, look for a CMOS reset jumper on your
motherboard. Generally, you unplug the computer from the wall, move the
jumper over to the reset position and count to 100. Put the jumper back where
you found it and try powering up.

Then if you get a working screen, you can deal with any other issues.

Of course, you might want to try the simplier possibility, shove in a
bootable disk to see what happens...

Mark H

"Basil" wrote:

> i left my pc on in the evening, and in the morning found the following:
> the picture on the screen is scrambled, impossible to read or do
> anything, and then it switches off and restarts automatically, and
> continues this off and on with scrambled pixel, indefinitely. switched
> it off let it cool down, switched on, same story. no clue what's
> happenning. is it toast? thanks for any help.

Tried another Monitor by anychance. Sure sounds like the monitor

--
Peter