USB Hi-Speed 2.0 ports

My computer is equipped with USB 1.1 ports and I installed a VIA USB
Hi-Speed pci board that comes with 4 ports. When I plug a USB 2.0 device
into the VIA ports and got below message.

This device can perform faster.

This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0
port.
For a list of available ports, click here.

1 USB 2.0 device and 2 USB 1.1 device and one spare port are in use on this
board. Can someone advise the possible causes and fixes.

Thanks,

Ray
6 answers Last reply
More about speed ports

    Install SP2 (or SP1) to get USB 2.0 drivers (or install the
    drivers that came on the CD with the board).

    some support

    "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    | My computer is equipped with USB 1.1 ports and I installed
    a VIA USB
    | Hi-Speed pci board that comes with 4 ports. When I plug a
    USB 2.0 device
    | into the VIA ports and got below message.
    |
    | This device can perform faster.
    |
    | This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
    Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    | port.
    | For a list of available ports, click here.
    |
    | 1 USB 2.0 device and 2 USB 1.1 device and one spare port
    are in use on this
    | board. Can someone advise the possible causes and fixes.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Ray

    Ray,
    For VIA USB or 1394 PCI Controllers check for updated drivers here;
    http://forums.viaarena.com/categories.aspx?catid=16&forumid=1
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    USB 2.0 drivers are "built-in" to XP. There are no drivers to install
    separately.

    Check in 'Device Manager" unser USB... You will need to see and "enhanced"
    USB controller in order for the USB 2.0 ports to work correctly at USB 2.0
    speeds. If you do not see this, then the card is not correctly installed.
    Remove it from Device Manager and reboot.

    You can also try removing all USB hubs, root hubs, ports and controllers
    Then, reboot and XP would normally redetect the USB correctly.

    > Install SP2 (or SP1) to get USB 2.0 drivers (or install the
    > drivers that came on the CD with the board).

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    > | My computer is equipped with USB 1.1 ports and I installed
    > a VIA USB
    > | Hi-Speed pci board that comes with 4 ports. When I plug a
    > USB 2.0 device
    > | into the VIA ports and got below message.
    > |
    > | This device can perform faster.
    > |
    > | This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
    > Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    > | port.
    > | For a list of available ports, click here.
    > |
    > | 1 USB 2.0 device and 2 USB 1.1 device and one spare port
    > are in use on this
    > | board. Can someone advise the possible causes and fixes.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Ray

    Yes, USB 2.0 support is built in to Windows XP with SP1 or SP2. My scanner
    works well with them.

    But I have an add-on card from Adaptec that has three USB 2.0 ports and 2
    firewire ports. When the Adapted USB 2.0 drivers are installed, and the
    scanner is connected to this port, the scanner performs much more sprightly,
    or so it seems.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > USB 2.0 drivers are "built-in" to XP. There are no drivers to install
    > separately.
    >
    > Check in 'Device Manager" unser USB... You will need to see and
    > "enhanced" USB controller in order for the USB 2.0 ports to work correctly
    > at USB 2.0 speeds. If you do not see this, then the card is not
    > correctly installed. Remove it from Device Manager and reboot.
    >
    > You can also try removing all USB hubs, root hubs, ports and controllers
    > Then, reboot and XP would normally redetect the USB correctly.
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> Install SP2 (or SP1) to get USB 2.0 drivers (or install the
    >> drivers that came on the CD with the board).
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> | My computer is equipped with USB 1.1 ports and I installed
    >> a VIA USB
    >> | Hi-Speed pci board that comes with 4 ports. When I plug a
    >> USB 2.0 device
    >> | into the VIA ports and got below message.
    >> |
    >> | This device can perform faster.
    >> |
    >> | This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a
    >> Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    >> | port.
    >> | For a list of available ports, click here.
    >> |
    >> | 1 USB 2.0 device and 2 USB 1.1 device and one spare port
    >> are in use on this
    >> | board. Can someone advise the possible causes and fixes.
    >> |
    >> | Thanks,
    >> |
    >> | Ray

    Thanks for all who responded to my queries. I believe the cause came from
    my USB 2.0 2.5" hard disk that draws too much current. As per USB port
    spec, each port can deliver 500 mA max. and most of 2.5" hard disk for
    notebook consumes about 600 mA so when I connect it to the port, it jumps up
    and down and then connects successfully. My USB 2.0 card is also
    strange/clever that it will switch it to USB 1.1 port on the mother board.
    Thus, the error message comes on. Does the latest USB 2.0 port supply
    higher current than early board? Alternatively, is there any 2.5" hard disk
    consumes less than 500 mA?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    > My computer is equipped with USB 1.1 ports and I installed a VIA USB
    > Hi-Speed pci board that comes with 4 ports. When I plug a USB 2.0 device
    > into the VIA ports and got below message.
    >
    > This device can perform faster.
    >
    > This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    > port.
    > For a list of available ports, click here.
    >
    > 1 USB 2.0 device and 2 USB 1.1 device and one spare port are in use on
    > this board. Can someone advise the possible causes and fixes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    Get an external power supply for your 2.5 inch hard drive,
    don't try to power it directly from the USB 2.0 port. You
    might try an external USB 2.0 powered hub that MIGHT be able
    to supply more power.

    some support

    "Ray" <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    | Thanks for all who responded to my queries. I believe the
    cause came from
    | my USB 2.0 2.5" hard disk that draws too much current. As
    per USB port
    | spec, each port can deliver 500 mA max. and most of 2.5"
    hard disk for
    | notebook consumes about 600 mA so when I connect it to the
    port, it jumps up
    | and down and then connects successfully. My USB 2.0 card
    is also
    | strange/clever that it will switch it to USB 1.1 port on
    the mother board.
    | Thus, the error message comes on. Does the latest USB 2.0
    port supply
    | higher current than early board? Alternatively, is there
    any 2.5" hard disk
    | consumes less than 500 mA?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Ray
    |
    | "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    | > My computer is equipped with USB 1.1 ports and I
    installed a VIA USB
    | > Hi-Speed pci board that comes with 4 ports. When I plug
    a USB 2.0 device
    | > into the VIA ports and got below message.
    | >
    | > This device can perform faster.
    | >
    | > This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to
    a Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    | > port.
    | > For a list of available ports, click here.
    | >
    | > 1 USB 2.0 device and 2 USB 1.1 device and one spare port
    are in use on
    | > this board. Can someone advise the possible causes and
    fixes.

    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Ray

USB Devices Windows XP