Mobile Athlon XP on NF7-S

I'm thinking of selling off my unlocked 2500 @ 2.2ghz and trying a 35-45w
mobile chip. I have an SLK-900a, HyperX PC3200, 465w Enermax. Worth the
bother? Which processor speed/wattage would be best? Thanks for reading.

--
Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Peder" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:Xns950431F46340Axxx@130.133.1.4...
> I'm thinking of selling off my unlocked 2500 @ 2.2ghz and trying a 35-45w
> mobile chip. I have an SLK-900a, HyperX PC3200, 465w Enermax. Worth the
> bother? Which processor speed/wattage would be best? Thanks for reading.

Definitely worth the bother. You will get anything from 2400MHz to 2700MHz
out of the mobile chip, dependent on the stepping, cooling etc. But I would
thing 2400MHz is the very least you will get.

Just one thing to bear in mind, not all motherboards will allow you to
change the multiplier with mobile chips. MSI KT600 boards certain do not:
they work fine with normal unlocked XP's, but they don't unlock mobiles. So
make sure you check first!

Chip

"Peder" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:Xns950431F46340Axxx@130.133.1.4...
> I'm thinking of selling off my unlocked 2500 @ 2.2ghz and trying a 35-45w
> mobile chip. I have an SLK-900a, HyperX PC3200, 465w Enermax. Worth the
> bother? Which processor speed/wattage would be best? Thanks for reading.
>
> --
> Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

I would say that the only reason to do such an upgrade would be so you could
get turn the fans down more and get the noise down some..
Other than that you'll not see an increase enoguh to warrant it I bet.

The real advantage of the Mobiles is the unlocked multiplier. In terms of
pure overclocking potential the latest batch of desktops are just as good.
For instance I've had two week 14/2004 XP2500+ and they both do 2400MHz at
1.7V , which is just as good as any mobile.

"Peder" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:Xns950431F46340Axxx@130.133.1.4...
> I'm thinking of selling off my unlocked 2500 @ 2.2ghz and trying a 35-45w
> mobile chip. I have an SLK-900a, HyperX PC3200, 465w Enermax. Worth the
> bother? Which processor speed/wattage would be best? Thanks for reading.
>
> --
> Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

"Peder" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:Xns950431F46340Axxx@130.133.1.4...
> I'm thinking of selling off my unlocked 2500 @ 2.2ghz and trying a 35-45w
> mobile chip. I have an SLK-900a, HyperX PC3200, 465w Enermax. Worth the
> bother? Which processor speed/wattage would be best? Thanks for reading.
>
> --
> Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

I would go for the lower rated ones eg 2500+

You may get 2-3 hundred mhz more than you are at the moment. I suppose you
have tried, but with enough vcore you might be able to get your unlocked
Barton to do almost as well as a mobile Barton - would just be producing a
bit more heat ;-)

However, I do not know what your Barton can do, for example my AQXEA 0326
Barton 2500 will run at stock speed at 1.4v - just needs 2.0v to get it to
2500mhz.

So I would suggest to keep your unlocked Barton - unless you really need a
couple hundred more mhz without putting your hsf through its paces. But yes
there is the draw of potentially more mhz...

> The real advantage of the Mobiles is the unlocked multiplier. In terms of
> pure overclocking potential the latest batch of desktops are just as good.
> For instance I've had two week 14/2004 XP2500+ and they both do 2400MHz at
> 1.7V , which is just as good as any mobile.

Yes, but hitting real high FSB only works lowering the multiplier. With
good ram you can get up to 250 FSB with some boards. NF7 seems to do 230
real fine, and more if you are lucky.

The days when you needed to lower the multi to below 10 are long gone with
these newer highly overclockable CPU's
With the latest CPU's hitting 2600 - 2700MHz on air or water the 11x
multiplier on the XP2500+ is just about perfect for sky high FSB...in fact
for most people running more realistic FSB it's too low. I find 12 x 220FSB
about the best setting for total stability with good performance.