Slave Drive has no drive assignment after XP reinstall

I had been forced to reformat my C drive and reinstall XP Pro. All updates
loaded.

After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter. It's
visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me the
volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine.

When right clicking on the disc, I have only the option of converting it to
a 'dynamic disk'. I have physically unplugged the HD and rebooted, then
reinstalled it manually. have disabled and uninstalled it via windows .

I'm at a total loss what to do now. Obviously before the reformat, I putr
anything of value (such as documents etc) onto D drive. I do not want to
reformat it,. :)

Can anyone rescue me? please?
many thanks
Monika
11 answers Last reply
More about slave drive drive assignment reinstall

    In disk management, right click in the lower drive window. You will see
    options that you do NOT see when you click on the drive designator to the
    left of the drives visual.

    Also, if the secondary drive is partitioned/formatted as a primary partition
    (and subsequently hidden) disk management will see the drive but the only
    option you have available is to delete the partition.

    You can use Partition Magic to change the drive into a logical partition and
    unhide it, which will make it always visible to the operating system. BTW, I
    do this on purpose to protect data that I don't want the O/S to ever touch.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Monika" <Monika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had been forced to reformat my C drive and reinstall XP Pro. All updates
    > loaded.
    >
    > After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter.
    > It's
    > visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me
    > the
    > volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine.
    >
    > When right clicking on the disc, I have only the option of converting it
    > a 'dynamic disk'. I have physically unplugged the HD and rebooted, then
    > reinstalled it manually. have disabled and uninstalled it via windows .
    >
    > I'm at a total loss what to do now. Obviously before the reformat, I putr
    > anything of value (such as documents etc) onto D drive. I do not want to
    > reformat it,. :)
    >
    > Can anyone rescue me? please?
    > many thanks
    > Monika

    Make sure the jumper pins on the drive are properly set.In xp install xp cd,
    exit the info page,restart computer,boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter key
    for
    password,then type:DiskPart In DiskPart,delete the partition on the slave
    drive,
    then create one,then press Esc key,Then type:FORMAT D: /FS:ntfs D: being
    the new drive,once its thru,type:EXIT Let xp restart,remove xp cd.

    "Monika" wrote:

    > I had been forced to reformat my C drive and reinstall XP Pro. All updates
    > loaded.
    >
    > After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter. It's
    > visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me the
    > volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine.
    >
    > When right clicking on the disc, I have only the option of converting it to
    > a 'dynamic disk'. I have physically unplugged the HD and rebooted, then
    > reinstalled it manually. have disabled and uninstalled it via windows .
    >
    > I'm at a total loss what to do now. Obviously before the reformat, I putr
    > anything of value (such as documents etc) onto D drive. I do not want to
    > reformat it,. :)
    >
    > Can anyone rescue me? please?
    > many thanks
    > Monika

    Damn it Andrew. ***STOP THIS NOW***!!!!!

    The person SPECIFICALLY says she doesn't want to format the drive. So you
    have her deleting the partition, creating a new partition and then
    formatting the new partition.

    It is obvious now that you "giving out" very DANGEROUS INFORMATION ***ON
    PURPOSE*** -CONTINUALLY!

    You are a dangerous threat my friend, much worse that any trojan or virus
    that a person may get on their computer. I pity the person who ever does
    what you suggest!

    --

    > Make sure the jumper pins on the drive are properly set.In xp install xp
    > cd,
    > exit the info page,restart computer,boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter key
    > for
    > password,then type:DiskPart In DiskPart,delete the partition on the slave
    > drive,
    > then create one,then press Esc key,Then type:FORMAT D: /FS:ntfs D: being
    > the new drive,once its thru,type:EXIT Let xp restart,remove xp cd.
    >
    > "Monika" wrote:
    >
    >> I had been forced to reformat my C drive and reinstall XP Pro. All
    >> updates
    >> loaded.
    >>
    >> After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter.
    >> It's
    >> visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me
    >> the
    >> volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine.
    >>
    >> When right clicking on the disc, I have only the option of converting it
    >> a 'dynamic disk'. I have physically unplugged the HD and rebooted, then
    >> reinstalled it manually. have disabled and uninstalled it via windows .
    >>
    >> I'm at a total loss what to do now. Obviously before the reformat, I putr
    >> anything of value (such as documents etc) onto D drive. I do not want to
    >> reformat it,. :)
    >>
    >> Can anyone rescue me? please?
    >> many thanks
    >> Monika

    Monika,

    There are three different areas within disk management where you can right
    click on a drive/partition and you will see substantially different options.
    If you click on the left of the window in the drive area (drive 1, drive 2
    etc) you will see options to work with the entire drive.

    If you right click on a partition/drive in the upper pane or the lower
    window you will see different options.

    Where are you right clicking and what are your options in each area?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Monika" <Monika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had been forced to reformat my C drive and reinstall XP Pro. All updates
    > loaded.
    >
    > After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter.
    > It's
    > visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me
    > the
    > volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine.
    >
    > When right clicking on the disc, I have only the option of converting it
    > a 'dynamic disk'. I have physically unplugged the HD and rebooted, then
    > reinstalled it manually. have disabled and uninstalled it via windows .
    >
    > I'm at a total loss what to do now. Obviously before the reformat, I putr
    > anything of value (such as documents etc) onto D drive. I do not want to
    > reformat it,. :)
    >
    > Can anyone rescue me? please?
    > many thanks
    > Monika

    Hi Richard,

    I've right clicked on every area I can think of, the only options I get are
    to partition the drive or make it a dynamic disc. I've screen captured it all
    but there seems to be nowhere to upload the images so I can show you. Is
    there anywhere I an send them to you so you have an idsea of what I'm talking
    about?

    The disc was never removed to cause the cable to bend or come loose. (I only
    disconnected it later in the futile hope that XP would recognide the drive
    again when reconected.... zip!). I didn't mention before that the slave drive
    is a seagate baracuda 80G and the Masteris a smasung 120G. Ive reformatted in
    the past with no problem (and with the same drives).

    The only other solution I can think of is to remove the slave and make it an
    external drive, which defeats the purpose of having a slave drive and less
    mess on an already messy work area. :)

    Thankyouso far for your help. Any other ideas I can try?

    cheers
    Monika

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > Monika,
    >
    > There are three different areas within disk management where you can right
    > click on a drive/partition and you will see substantially different options.
    > If you click on the left of the window in the drive area (drive 1, drive 2
    > etc) you will see options to work with the entire drive.
    >
    > If you right click on a partition/drive in the upper pane or the lower
    > window you will see different options.
    >
    > Where are you right clicking and what are your options in each area?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "Monika" <Monika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I had been forced to reformat my C drive and reinstall XP Pro. All updates
    > > loaded.
    > >
    > > After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter.
    > > It's
    > > visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me
    > > the
    > > volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine.
    > >
    > > When right clicking on the disc, I have only the option of converting it
    > > a 'dynamic disk'. I have physically unplugged the HD and rebooted, then
    > > reinstalled it manually. have disabled and uninstalled it via windows .
    > >
    > > I'm at a total loss what to do now. Obviously before the reformat, I putr
    > > anything of value (such as documents etc) onto D drive. I do not want to
    > > reformat it,. :)
    > >
    > > Can anyone rescue me? please?
    > > many thanks
    > > Monika

    Hi Andrew,
    Thanks for your suggestion, but repatitioning the drive isn't an option at
    this time. My 'life' is on the slave drive, everythng of value from the
    master before I formatted it.
    If you have any other ideas I'd be most grateful.

    cheers
    Monika

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Make sure the jumper pins on the drive are properly set.In xp install xp cd,
    > exit the info page,restart computer,boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter key
    > for
    > password,then type:DiskPart In DiskPart,delete the partition on the slave
    > drive,
    > then create one,then press Esc key,Then type:FORMAT D: /FS:ntfs D: being
    > the new drive,once its thru,type:EXIT Let xp restart,remove xp cd.
    >
    > "Monika" wrote:
    >
    > > I had been forced to reformat my C drive and reinstall XP Pro. All updates
    > > loaded.
    > >
    > > After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter. It's
    > > visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me the
    > > volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine.
    > >
    > > When right clicking on the disc, I have only the option of converting it to
    > > a 'dynamic disk'. I have physically unplugged the HD and rebooted, then
    > > reinstalled it manually. have disabled and uninstalled it via windows .
    > >
    > > I'm at a total loss what to do now. Obviously before the reformat, I putr
    > > anything of value (such as documents etc) onto D drive. I do not want to
    > > reformat it,. :)
    > >
    > > Can anyone rescue me? please?
    > > many thanks
    > > Monika

    There are a couple of things you can try. One is as expensive as h**l. The
    other is labor intensive, and expensive as h**l for the software.

    First thing is don't do anything to the drive you want to try to recover. If
    the drive contains very valuable (to you) information i.e.: wedding photos,
    videos of a passed relative/friend etc. I would certainly consider sending
    the drive to an organization such as Drive Savers at
    http://www.drivesavers.com/ or OnTrack at http://www.ontrack.com/. Their
    services are NOT inexpensive.

    I use the OnTrack software in my small business of computer repair. It is
    called EasyRecovery Professional, available from http://www.ontrack.com/. It
    also is very expensive. It has special recovery modules for accidentally
    formatted partitions, drives that have lost their partition structure (these
    usually read as RAW in disk management) and others. I have been very
    successful recovering customers files with this program.

    To recover files with EasyRecovery Professional, you need another drive with
    free usable space equal to, or exceeding, the total size of the files you
    are attempting to recover. You have to put the recovered files somewhere,
    right!

    If you were to tell me that you have backed up your information to an
    external, safe destination, there are other things you can do. The problem
    is if you mess up, all the information on the drive may be corrupted -
    permanently.

    --

> [...]

    > talking
    > about?
    >
    > The disc was never removed to cause the cable to bend or come loose. (I
    > only
    > disconnected it later in the futile hope that XP would recognide the drive
    > again when reconected.... zip!). I didn't mention before that the slave
    > drive
    > is a seagate baracuda 80G and the Masteris a smasung 120G. Ive reformatted
    > in
    > the past with no problem (and with the same drives).
    >
    > The only other solution I can think of is to remove the slave and make it
    > an
    > external drive, which defeats the purpose of having a slave drive and less
    > mess on an already messy work area. :)
    >
    > Thankyouso far for your help. Any other ideas I can try?

    Monika:
    In addition to trying Richard's suggestions, before going the third-party
    recovery route, try this...

    Perform a Repair install on XP with both drives connected. You sound quite
    knowledgeable so I presume you know how to undertake that operation. It's
    not particularly difficult to perform, but if you've had no prior experience
    with a Repair install, just do a Google search on "xp repair install" and
    you'll be pointed to many websites that have detailed step-by-step
    instructions on the process. There's a chance that your reinstallation of XP
    that apparently triggered this situation may have gone awry, so that the
    Repair install might resolve the issue. Seems to me it's worth a try. Do
    make sure that *before* performing a Repair install, you do back up to
    removable media any of your important or critical data files.

    Not to belabor the issue, but you're *absolutely* certain that your Slave
    drive is properly configured/connected, yes? And have you run a diagnostic
    test on that drive? You didn't indicate the make of the drive, but virtually
    every manufacturer has a freely-available diagnostic utility for their
    drives. I know it certainly doesn't sound like hardware problem based on
    the info you provided, but one never knows for sure...
    Anna

    Monika:
    > In addition to trying Richard's suggestions, before going the third-party
    > recovery route, try this...
    >
    > Perform a Repair install on XP with both drives connected. You sound quite
    > knowledgeable so I presume you know how to undertake that operation. It's
    > not particularly difficult to perform, but if you've had no prior
    > experience with a Repair install, just do a Google search on "xp repair
    > install" and you'll be pointed to many websites that have detailed
    > step-by-step instructions on the process. There's a chance that your
    > reinstallation of XP that apparently triggered this situation may have
    > gone awry, so that the Repair install might resolve the issue. Seems to me
    > it's worth a try. Do make sure that *before* performing a Repair install,
    > you do back up to removable media any of your important or critical data
    > files.
    >
    > Not to belabor the issue, but you're *absolutely* certain that your Slave
    > drive is properly configured/connected, yes? And have you run a diagnostic
    > test on that drive? You didn't indicate the make of the drive, but
    > virtually every manufacturer has a freely-available diagnostic utility for
    > their drives. I know it certainly doesn't sound like hardware problem
    > based on the info you provided, but one never knows for sure...
    > Anna

    Good additional points Anna!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    Hi, Monika.

    If your Disk Management is set up like mine (the Volume List on top and the
    Graphical View at the bottom), you should see the list of hard drives down
    the left side of the Graphical View. Note that these are listed by NUMBER
    (Disk 0 and Disk 1), not by Letter (C:, D:, etc.). To the right of each
    Disk # box should be one or more graphical boxes representing the volumes
    (primary partitions and logical drives) on that disk. As I'm sure you know,
    "drive" letters are misnamed; a letter applies only to a volume on the
    physical drive, not to the whole disk, even if it has only a single volume
    using all the space on the disk.

    If you right-click on the Disk 0 box, you should see the context menu you
    mentioned, with "Convert to Dynamic Disk..." as the first option. A
    right-click on a Volume box produces a different context menu which does not
    include the dynamic disk option.

    But your first message also said,
    "After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter.
    It's
    visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me the
    volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine. "

    Something wrong here. Disk Management shows some status labels for the HD
    itself (Basic and the size of the whole physical disk); these should be on
    the far left in the Disk # box. Other labels (Healthy, Active, System, Page
    File, etc., plus NTFS and the size of the volume) show the "substatus" of
    volumes on the disk; these should be in the boxes to the right of the Disk #
    box. There should be a separate set of labels for each volume. Of the ones
    you mentioned, "Basic" should be in the Disk # box; "Healthy" and "Active"
    and "NTFS" should be in a volume box; they should NOT all be in the same
    box!

    There's a LOT of information available in the Help file reached from Disk
    Management; use the Contents and follow the Related Topics links to read it.
    As the Help file explains, only one of the "substatus" labels, Active,
    System, Boot or Page File, can be displayed, so, "For example, if you have
    only one volume which serves as the boot volume, system volume, active
    volume, page file, and crash dump, its status is displayed as Healthy
    (System)."

    Do you see Disk 1 listed? What does it show in the Volumes area of the
    Graphical Display for that disk?

    Your reinstall of WinXP might have made Disk Management think you were
    moving your second disk to a different computer, instead of back into the
    re-installed original. You might need to read the page on "To move disks to
    another computer" in the Help file, under How to...Manage disks.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

> [...]
    >> >updates
    >> > loaded.
    >> >
    >> > After the reinstall, my slave (D drive) wasn't assicned a drive letter.
    >> > It's
    >> > visible and listed as 'Healthy (Active), (baxic, NTFS) it even gives me
    >> > the
    >> > volume name. Prior to the reformat/reinstall it was working fine.
    >> >
    >> > When right clicking on the disc, I have only the option of converting
    >> > it
    >> > a 'dynamic disk'. I have physically unplugged the HD and rebooted,
    >> > then
    >> > reinstalled it manually. have disabled and uninstalled it via windows
    >> > .
    >> >
    >> > I'm at a total loss what to do now. Obviously before the reformat, I
    >> > putr
    >> > anything of value (such as documents etc) onto D drive. I do not want

    Thank you Richard. I see so much of this type of thing in these groups
    that it just makes me want to upchuck. Usually the right answer cut
    and pasted for a different query.

Slave Drive Windows XP