A7N8X does not change multiplier on mobile CPU

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2004 2:38:43 AM

I have modded my Duron to mobile, but I can´t change the multiplier. Do I
need a "real" mobile for changing multipliers in bios?

I could run the Duron with 15x (stock 12x) on the K7S5A, so the mod works
fine.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2004 1:46:57 PM

Josef Varela wrote:
> I have modded my Duron to mobile, but I can´t change the multiplier.
> Do I need a "real" mobile for changing multipliers in bios?

Yes (or just an unlocked CPU). You should still be able to change the
multiplier of your psuedo-mobile in Windows/Linux though.

> I could run the Duron with 15x (stock 12x) on the K7S5A, so the mod
> works fine.

If you could adjust the multipliers in the BIOS in another board, that
indicates that the chip is unlocked, and the problem is with the board not
setting the multipliers right (as opposed to the chip being locked).
Possibly the board does not correctly support mobiles, so the BIOS
multiplier is being overridden by the PowerNow one.

--
Michael Brown
a b K Overclocking

>> I have modded my Duron to mobile, but I can´t change the multiplier.
>> Do I need a "real" mobile for changing multipliers in bios?
> Yes (or just an unlocked CPU). You should still be able to change the
> multiplier of your psuedo-mobile in Windows/Linux though.

This is not supported for nforce boards, so no luck here :-(

>> I could run the Duron with 15x (stock 12x) on the K7S5A, so the mod
>> works fine.
> If you could adjust the multipliers in the BIOS in another board, that
> indicates that the chip is unlocked, and the problem is with the board not
> setting the multipliers right (as opposed to the chip being locked).
> Possibly the board does not correctly support mobiles, so the BIOS
> multiplier is being overridden by the PowerNow one.

I changed them cutting the L6 bridges, but they are beeing ignored with the
A7N8X. I´m starting to suspect that changing multipliers in Bios only works
with real mobiles
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2004 2:40:31 PM

Josef Varela wrote:
>>> I have modded my Duron to mobile, but I can´t change the multiplier.
>>> Do I need a "real" mobile for changing multipliers in bios?
>> Yes (or just an unlocked CPU). You should still be able to change the
>> multiplier of your psuedo-mobile in Windows/Linux though.
>
> This is not supported for nforce boards, so no luck here :-(
>
>>> I could run the Duron with 15x (stock 12x) on the K7S5A, so the mod
>>> works fine.
>> If you could adjust the multipliers in the BIOS in another board,
>> that indicates that the chip is unlocked, and the problem is with
>> the board not setting the multipliers right (as opposed to the chip
>> being locked). Possibly the board does not correctly support
>> mobiles, so the BIOS multiplier is being overridden by the PowerNow
>> one.
>
> I changed them cutting the L6 bridges, but they are beeing ignored
> with the A7N8X. I´m starting to suspect that changing multipliers in
> Bios only works with real mobiles.

What your K7S5A (non-NF) board was doing was setting the maximum (as
specified by the L6) PowerNow multiplier on boot, since the chipset
supported PowerNow. The startup (L3) multiplier is not changable on locked
chips, and since the NF chipsets don't support PowerNow (as you know :)  ),
the chip is stuck at the startup multiplier. Changing it into a mobile chip
does not unlock the startup multiplier: it only allowes changes to be made
through PowerNow. I've got a bit of a rant/discussion on how to think of the
multipliers at
http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock
that may be of some use.

--
Michael Brown
a b K Overclocking

>> I changed them cutting the L6 bridges, but they are beeing ignored
>> with the A7N8X. I´m starting to suspect that changing multipliers in
>> Bios only works with real mobiles.
>
> What your K7S5A (non-NF) board was doing was setting the maximum (as
> specified by the L6) PowerNow multiplier on boot, since the chipset
> supported PowerNow. The startup (L3) multiplier is not changable on locked
> chips, and since the NF chipsets don't support PowerNow (as you know :)  ),
> the chip is stuck at the startup multiplier. Changing it into a mobile chip
> does not unlock the startup multiplier: it only allowes changes to be made
> through PowerNow. I've got a bit of a rant/discussion on how to think of the
> multipliers at
> http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock
> that may be of some use.

Wow! Super FAQ! It´s the first really Up2date FAQ I see. Till now I just
could find mixed up information on old and new superlocked CPUs.
So I´m not lucky, thanks for your help.

I don´t believe PowerNow will be ever supported on nforce boards, but they
are IMO still the best SocketA Platform
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2004 7:51:24 PM

"Josef Varela" <darkpepe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I changed them cutting the L6 bridges, but they are beeing ignored
> >> with the A7N8X. I´m starting to suspect that changing multipliers in
> >> Bios only works with real mobiles.
> >
> > What your K7S5A (non-NF) board was doing was setting the maximum (as
> > specified by the L6) PowerNow multiplier on boot, since the chipset
> > supported PowerNow. The startup (L3) multiplier is not changable on
locked
> > chips, and since the NF chipsets don't support PowerNow (as you know
:)  ),
> > the chip is stuck at the startup multiplier. Changing it into a mobile
chip
> > does not unlock the startup multiplier: it only allowes changes to be
made
> > through PowerNow. I've got a bit of a rant/discussion on how to think of
the
> > multipliers at
> > http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock
> > that may be of some use.
>
> Wow! Super FAQ! It´s the first really Up2date FAQ I see. Till now I just
> could find mixed up information on old and new superlocked CPUs.
> So I´m not lucky, thanks for your help.
>
> I don´t believe PowerNow will be ever supported on nforce boards, but they
> are IMO still the best SocketA Platform
Tbred?
Barton? Whats your core?
Mine is a Tbred Core, running 2,175 (2.17 GHz) And is an Athlon 2200+
1.8GHz chip.
Same board.
multiplier is @ 14 x 155.4 @ least thats what CPU-Z Gives me

Denny. :-)