A7N8X does not change multiplier on mobile CPU

I have modded my Duron to mobile, but I can´t change the multiplier. Do I
need a "real" mobile for changing multipliers in bios?

I could run the Duron with 15x (stock 12x) on the K7S5A, so the mod works
fine.
5 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x change multiplier mobile

    Josef Varela wrote:
    > I have modded my Duron to mobile, but I can´t change the multiplier.
    > Do I need a "real" mobile for changing multipliers in bios?

    Yes (or just an unlocked CPU). You should still be able to change the
    multiplier of your psuedo-mobile in Windows/Linux though.

    > I could run the Duron with 15x (stock 12x) on the K7S5A, so the mod
    > works fine.

    If you could adjust the multipliers in the BIOS in another board, that
    indicates that the chip is unlocked, and the problem is with the board not
    setting the multipliers right (as opposed to the chip being locked).
    Possibly the board does not correctly support mobiles, so the BIOS
    multiplier is being overridden by the PowerNow one.

    --
    Michael Brown

    >> I have modded my Duron to mobile, but I can´t change the multiplier.
    >> Do I need a "real" mobile for changing multipliers in bios?
    > Yes (or just an unlocked CPU). You should still be able to change the
    > multiplier of your psuedo-mobile in Windows/Linux though.

    This is not supported for nforce boards, so no luck here :-(

    >> I could run the Duron with 15x (stock 12x) on the K7S5A, so the mod
    >> works fine.
    > If you could adjust the multipliers in the BIOS in another board, that
    > indicates that the chip is unlocked, and the problem is with the board not
    > setting the multipliers right (as opposed to the chip being locked).
    > Possibly the board does not correctly support mobiles, so the BIOS
    > multiplier is being overridden by the PowerNow one.

    I changed them cutting the L6 bridges, but they are beeing ignored with the
    A7N8X. I´m starting to suspect that changing multipliers in Bios only works
    with real mobiles

    Josef Varela wrote:
    >>> I have modded my Duron to mobile, but I can´t change the multiplier.
    >>> Do I need a "real" mobile for changing multipliers in bios?
    >> Yes (or just an unlocked CPU). You should still be able to change the
    >> multiplier of your psuedo-mobile in Windows/Linux though.
    >
    > This is not supported for nforce boards, so no luck here :-(
    >
    >>> I could run the Duron with 15x (stock 12x) on the K7S5A, so the mod
    >>> works fine.
    >> If you could adjust the multipliers in the BIOS in another board,
    >> that indicates that the chip is unlocked, and the problem is with
    >> the board not setting the multipliers right (as opposed to the chip
    >> being locked). Possibly the board does not correctly support
    >> mobiles, so the BIOS multiplier is being overridden by the PowerNow
    >> one.
    >
    > I changed them cutting the L6 bridges, but they are beeing ignored
    > with the A7N8X. I´m starting to suspect that changing multipliers in
    > Bios only works with real mobiles.

    What your K7S5A (non-NF) board was doing was setting the maximum (as
    specified by the L6) PowerNow multiplier on boot, since the chipset
    supported PowerNow. The startup (L3) multiplier is not changable on locked
    chips, and since the NF chipsets don't support PowerNow (as you know :) ),
    the chip is stuck at the startup multiplier. Changing it into a mobile chip
    does not unlock the startup multiplier: it only allowes changes to be made
    through PowerNow. I've got a bit of a rant/discussion on how to think of the
    multipliers at
    http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock
    that may be of some use.

    --
    Michael Brown

    >> I changed them cutting the L6 bridges, but they are beeing ignored
    >> with the A7N8X. I´m starting to suspect that changing multipliers in
    >> Bios only works with real mobiles.
    >
    > What your K7S5A (non-NF) board was doing was setting the maximum (as
    > specified by the L6) PowerNow multiplier on boot, since the chipset
    > supported PowerNow. The startup (L3) multiplier is not changable on locked
    > chips, and since the NF chipsets don't support PowerNow (as you know :) ),
    > the chip is stuck at the startup multiplier. Changing it into a mobile chip
    > does not unlock the startup multiplier: it only allowes changes to be made
    > through PowerNow. I've got a bit of a rant/discussion on how to think of the
    > multipliers at
    > http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock
    > that may be of some use.

    Wow! Super FAQ! It´s the first really Up2date FAQ I see. Till now I just
    could find mixed up information on old and new superlocked CPUs.
    So I´m not lucky, thanks for your help.

    I don´t believe PowerNow will be ever supported on nforce boards, but they
    are IMO still the best SocketA Platform

    "Josef Varela" <darkpepe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> I changed them cutting the L6 bridges, but they are beeing ignored
    > >> with the A7N8X. I´m starting to suspect that changing multipliers in
    > >> Bios only works with real mobiles.
    > >
    > > What your K7S5A (non-NF) board was doing was setting the maximum (as
    > > specified by the L6) PowerNow multiplier on boot, since the chipset
    > > supported PowerNow. The startup (L3) multiplier is not changable on
    locked
    > > chips, and since the NF chipsets don't support PowerNow (as you know
    :) ),
    > > the chip is stuck at the startup multiplier. Changing it into a mobile
    chip
    > > does not unlock the startup multiplier: it only allowes changes to be
    made
    > > through PowerNow. I've got a bit of a rant/discussion on how to think of
    the
    > > multipliers at
    > > http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock
    > > that may be of some use.
    >
    > Wow! Super FAQ! It´s the first really Up2date FAQ I see. Till now I just
    > could find mixed up information on old and new superlocked CPUs.
    > So I´m not lucky, thanks for your help.
    >
    > I don´t believe PowerNow will be ever supported on nforce boards, but they
    > are IMO still the best SocketA Platform
    Tbred?
    Barton? Whats your core?
    Mine is a Tbred Core, running 2,175 (2.17 GHz) And is an Athlon 2200+
    1.8GHz chip.
    Same board.
    multiplier is @ 14 x 155.4 @ least thats what CPU-Z Gives me

    Denny. :-)