AMD Sempron - New processor

johny

What do we know about this processor? Is it going to be a 32bit processor
for Socket 754? Replacement for Athlon XP? Or something better than A64 and
FX? What do ya'll know?

In a press release deserving an award for obscurity and vagueness, AMD has
announced it will introduce a new brand of PC processors to be named AMD
Sempron. The AMD Sempron is expected to appeal to value-conscious buyers of
desktop and notebook PCs.

AMD claims that this fully-featured product line is designed to deliver
best-in-class performance for the growing segment of PC users who want more
from their PCs. The key word here, of course, is best-in-class, since AMD
are not telling us yet which class the Sempron will belong to.

It is also not clear if the new chips, scheduled for release in the second
half of 2004, will be based on the Athlon 64, XP or a new design. AMD have
also neglected to mention the scale of numbers (clock speeds etc.) which
will be associated with Sempron.

More details about AMD's new mobile and desktop processors will be
forthcoming in the second half of 2004. Shipments of the AMD Sempron and
Mobile AMD Sempron processors are scheduled to begin during the second half
of 2004.

Already nicknamed the Duron Replacement, the Sempron is up against a weary
public, educated by a long drawn out war between AMD and Intel. The lack of
technical detail in AMDs press release has further allowed speculation to
run wild so we cannot comment on the Sempron until we have further
information from AMD.

...it has the word "pron" in the name, how bad can it be?

johny wrote:
> What do we know about this processor?

"In a nutshell, socket 754 Hammer with memory controller, single-channel
memory, no x86-64, only 256K cache."

"Essentially AMD's version of the Celeron line."

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00596/
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1042/

I guess if there is a bright side to the semen oops, sempron it's that it
appears that AMD is planning on supporting the socket 754 for a while...

"ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message
> johny wrote:
> > What do we know about this processor?
>
> "In a nutshell, socket 754 Hammer with memory controller, single-channel
> memory, no x86-64, only 256K cache."
>
> "Essentially AMD's version of the Celeron line."
>
> http://www.overclockers.com/tips00596/
> http://www.overclockers.com/articles1042/

---

I must say, it is a bloody awful name for a product line

"LBJGH" <bite_mee@hotsnail.back> wrote in message
> I guess if there is a bright side to the semen oops, sempron it's that it
> appears that AMD is planning on supporting the socket 754 for a while...
>

> "ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message
> > johny wrote:
> > > What do we know about this processor?
> >
> > "In a nutshell, socket 754 Hammer with memory controller, single-channel
> > memory, no x86-64, only 256K cache."
> >
> > "Essentially AMD's version of the Celeron line."
> >
> > http://www.overclockers.com/tips00596/
> > http://www.overclockers.com/articles1042/
> >

> ---

nice to see AMD is starting to provide some variety in the A64 (socket 754)
market... I can see that socket 'A', while a great platform is on it's way
out.... it has a good run though. I bought my first socket 'A' in the
summer of 2000.

I still don't like the Simian or Semen name for the new CPU ... what the
hell is wrong with Duron?

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20040611102838.html
>
> 25 w Mobile Sempron 2800 this quarter!