35 or 45 watt Mobile Athlon, which of these are better?

Which is better to run at 200x12 on an Abit NF7-S ? The 45 watt is $77 and
the 35 watt is $87.

AMD 45 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266FSB, 512K Cache - OEM

Model# AXMH2400FQQ4C
Item # N82E16819103400
Specifications:
Manufacturer: AMD
Model: AXMH2400FQQ4C
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
FSB: 266MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.45V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: OEM (Processor Only)

AMD 35 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor -
OEM

Model# AXMD2400FJQ4C
Item # N82E16819103439
Specifications:
Model: AMD Mobile Athlon XP
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
FSB: 266MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 512KB
Voltage: 1.35V

"joD" <jod@cannot.com> wrote in message
> Which is better to run at 200x12 on an Abit NF7-S ? The 45 watt is $77 and
> the 35 watt is $87.
>
> AMD 45 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266FSB, 512K Cache - OEM
>
> Model# AXMH2400FQQ4C
> Item # N82E16819103400
> Specifications:
> Manufacturer: AMD
> Model: AXMH2400FQQ4C
> Core: Barton
> Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
> FSB: 266MHz
> Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
> Voltage: 1.45V
> Process: 0.13Micron
> Socket: Socket A
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
> Packaging: OEM (Processor Only)
>

> AMD 35 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor -
> OEM
>
> Model# AXMD2400FJQ4C
> Item # N82E16819103439
> Specifications:
> Model: AMD Mobile Athlon XP
> Core: Barton
> Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
> FSB: 266MHz
> Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 512KB
> Voltage: 1.35V
> Process: 0.13Micron
> Socket: Socket A
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

Hi

May be a guess but if you're interested in overclocking then the 35 watt
will be a better bet and only $10 more expensive i.e. if you do O/C then the
35 watt would produce less heat than the 45 watt CPU?

BillL

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

[snip]

> i.e. if you do O/C then the 35 watt would produce less heat than the 45
watt CPU?

> BillL

I wouldn't put it in those terms. A 35w CPU at (say) 2000MHz at (say)
1.75v will produce the same amount of heat as a 45w CPU at the same
settings. The two CPU's have the same core so there is no reason why one
should produce any more or less heat than the other.

However, theoretically the 35w CPU will be able to reach a given speed on
slightly less voltage and will therefore generate less heat.

Whether this is true in practice depends a lot on the stepping of the
individual CPU's: A good 45w stepping will easily outperform a poor 35w
stepping.

Chip

minotaur

joD wrote:
> Which is better to run at 200x12 on an Abit NF7-S ? The 45 watt is $77 and
> the 35 watt is $87.
>
> AMD 45 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266FSB, 512K Cache - OEM
>
> Model# AXMH2400FQQ4C
> Item # N82E16819103400
> Specifications:
> Manufacturer: AMD
> Model: AXMH2400FQQ4C
> Core: Barton
> Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
> FSB: 266MHz
> Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
> Voltage: 1.45V
> Process: 0.13Micron
> Socket: Socket A
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
> Packaging: OEM (Processor Only)
>

> AMD 35 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor -
> OEM
>
> Model# AXMD2400FJQ4C
> Item # N82E16819103439
> Specifications:
> Model: AMD Mobile Athlon XP
> Core: Barton
> Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
> FSB: 266MHz
> Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 512KB
> Voltage: 1.35V
> Process: 0.13Micron
> Socket: Socket A
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

The 35Watt CPU, has a lot more headroom than the 45Watt CPU at the same
overclocked settings, to clock a lot higher.

Minotaur