Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 12:01:50 PM

Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.

He just wants a pc that will last a bit longer are their any 940 mobos
out ? and when you plug or if you can plug a 754 cpu into it will it
be dual channel or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
backs benifits ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 12:01:51 PM

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:s9vmc0lsi8ahnmmm8o0lbta0mi6b2p37f6@4ax.com...

> Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?
>

> A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.
>
> He just wants a pc that will last a bit longer are their any 940 mobos
> out ? and when you plug or if you can plug a 754 cpu into it will it
> be dual channel or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
> backs benifits ?
>
> Thanks.

This is a joke, right? What do you think the numbers 754 and 940 represent?
(Hint: # of pins).
Try using Google.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 12:01:51 PM

We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:

> Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

Absolutely. Just make sure your tool kit has a hammer, though, or you
might not get it to fit.

-WD
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 12:01:52 PM

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:
> >

> > Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?
>
> Absolutely. Just make sure your tool kit has a hammer, though, or you
> might not get it to fit.
>

> -WD

Makes a good key fob for your key rings...

my 2 cents
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2004 12:33:10 PM

Sorry i mean the two diff 64 bit cpu types 939 940 :)  well i think i
do :)

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:23:25 -0500, "Peter van der Goes"
<p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote:

>"We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
>message news:s9vmc0lsi8ahnmmm8o0lbta0mi6b2p37f6@4ax.com...
>>

>> Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?
>>

>> A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.
>>
>> He just wants a pc that will last a bit longer are their any 940 mobos
>> out ? and when you plug or if you can plug a 754 cpu into it will it
>> be dual channel or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
>> backs benifits ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>This is a joke, right? What do you think the numbers 754 and 940 represent?
>(Hint: # of pins).
>Try using Google.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2004 5:40:40 AM

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:s9vmc0lsi8ahnmmm8o0lbta0mi6b2p37f6@4ax.com...

> Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?
>

> A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.

Dear god

is it to the stage now where you have to lie to us..
JUST GO BUY YOUR NEW COMPUTER KIT AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS.
You'll never actually be able to buy the top line kit after a month of
research. It's really impossible.. by the time you have EVERY answer that
you want then it's time to ask more questions..
JUST GO BUY SOMETHING.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2004 12:04:12 PM

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

> "We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
> message news:s9vmc0lsi8ahnmmm8o0lbta0mi6b2p37f6@4ax.com...
> >

> > Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?
> >

> > A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.
> >

> Dear god
>
> is it to the stage now where you have to lie to us..
> JUST GO BUY YOUR NEW COMPUTER KIT AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS.
> You'll never actually be able to buy the top line kit after a month of
> research. It's really impossible.. by the time you have EVERY answer that
> you want then it's time to ask more questions..
> JUST GO BUY SOMETHING.

He would love to go out and buy a new computer but he is not allowed to
cross the street on his own.
June 14, 2004 1:11:30 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-02....

According to this article 939pin CPU will fit into the 940 socket, no it
won't boot, but it will fit, unfortunately for people like the one who
started this thread. Bytheway, NO, YOU CAN'T PLUG 754 PIN CPU INTO SOCKET
940 MOBO!

940pin cpu is for Socket 940
939pin cpu is for Socket 939
754pin cpu is for Socket 754
478pin cpu is for Socket 478
462pin cpu is for Socket A
etc. and don't try anything stupid

"Canus_Lupis" <old_fart@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message

> "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
> > message news:s9vmc0lsi8ahnmmm8o0lbta0mi6b2p37f6@4ax.com...
> > >

> > > Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?
> > >

> > > A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.
> > >

> > Dear god
> >
> > is it to the stage now where you have to lie to us..
> > JUST GO BUY YOUR NEW COMPUTER KIT AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS.
> > You'll never actually be able to buy the top line kit after a month of
> > research. It's really impossible.. by the time you have EVERY answer
that
> > you want then it's time to ask more questions..
> > JUST GO BUY SOMETHING.
> >

> He would love to go out and buy a new computer but he is not allowed to
> cross the street on his own.

June 14, 2004 3:16:39 PM

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Absolutely. Just make sure your tool kit has a hammer, though, or you
> might not get it to fit.

Nonsense Lay the CPU on the mobo then back over it with an SUV. And wear a
grounding strap for God's sake. I can't believe the misinformation around
here.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2004 1:01:14 AM

We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:
> Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

No. Since they're different.

> A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.

With questions like that, "he" may need to ask quite a few.

> He just wants a pc that will last a bit longer are their any 940 mobos
> out ?

Loads. Have been for over a year.

> and when you plug or if you can plug a 754 cpu into it will it
> be dual channel

The SINGLE channel memory controller is built onto the 754 chip. NO, you
can't plug a chip with 754 pins into a socket with 940 pins. The 940 (and
939) pin chips are dual channel. Hence the extra pin count.

> or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
> backs benifits ?

940 and 939 will do Dual Channel. 940 needs registered DIMMS (or is that
buffered, always forget), 939 doesn't.

Ben
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2004 7:01:55 AM

Yep that worked, thats how i got my old Socket 7 cpu into the Pentium
2 board still working to this day :p

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:16:39 -0400, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Absolutely. Just make sure your tool kit has a hammer, though, or you
>> might not get it to fit.
>>

>Nonsense Lay the CPU on the mobo then back over it with an SUV. And wear a
>grounding strap for God's sake. I can't believe the misinformation around
>here.

June 15, 2004 7:01:56 AM

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:nemrc0tdgp6onekabqoumeg5o0g85kk825@4ax.com...

> Yep that worked, thats how i got my old Socket 7 cpu into the Pentium
> 2 board still working to this day :p

Socket 7 to Slot 1? That's some SUV!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 18, 2004 5:53:38 AM

For as long as this guy's been posting, he doesn't know the answer to this
question?

On the other hand, if he/she doesn't know the answer to this question, how
do they ever get to feel comfortable with the highly opinionated comments
he/she makes from time to time?

=> Reasonable chance he/she is looking for attention/trolling for
connections.

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:
>> Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?
>
> No. Since they're different.
>
>> A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.
>
> With questions like that, "he" may need to ask quite a few.
>
>> He just wants a pc that will last a bit longer are their any 940 mobos
>> out ?
>
> Loads. Have been for over a year.
>
>> and when you plug or if you can plug a 754 cpu into it will it
>> be dual channel
>
> The SINGLE channel memory controller is built onto the 754 chip. NO, you
> can't plug a chip with 754 pins into a socket with 940 pins. The 940 (and
> 939) pin chips are dual channel. Hence the extra pin count.
>
>> or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
>> backs benifits ?
>

> 940 and 939 will do Dual Channel. 940 needs registered DIMMS (or is that
> buffered, always forget), 939 doesn't.
>
> Ben

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2004 5:00:35 PM

johny wrote:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-02....
>
> According to this article 939pin CPU will fit into the 940 socket, no
> it won't boot, but it will fit,

Surprise surprise, THG is wrong again :)  It'll fit, but only if you use a
hammer. Look at the photos of the socket, specifically the keyed pinholed on
the right hand side about 2/3 the way down. See how they're different
between the sockets? Or the ones on the left hand side. Heck, even where it
says "Only one pin different" there two photos clearly showing that there's
not one, but NINE pins different. Inserting a 940 into a 939 will result in
5 bent pins, a 939 into a 940 will result in 4 bent pins.

[...]

--
Michael Brown