Which athlon do I have?

I've got an "older" compaq presario 700us that sports a 1.2g amd athlon 4
process with power now...

Powertweak (linux) reports it as a athlon 4, k6-2 family. What is that?

Would anyone have an idea what this chip actually is? What I have in mind is
upgrading it, if it's compatible with todays xp mobile chips.

Yup, I know all about increased heat, shorter battery life, etc...

Thank you in advance.

Registered Linux User Number 185956
FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
11:41pm up 55 days, 2:23, 6 users, load average: 2.99, 3.00, 2.84

Download AIDA 32 and it will tell you everything about your computer.

Canus_Lupis wrote:

> Download AIDA 32 and it will tell you everything about your computer.

Hmmm doesn't turn up on the usual sites... Sorry, I run linux.

Download CPU Brain - that'll give you chapter and verse.

"Jerry McBride" <mcbrides9@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I've got an "older" compaq presario 700us that sports a 1.2g amd athlon 4
> process with power now...
>
> Powertweak (linux) reports it as a athlon 4, k6-2 family. What is that?
>
> Would anyone have an idea what this chip actually is? What I have in mind
is
> upgrading it, if it's compatible with todays xp mobile chips.
>
> Yup, I know all about increased heat, shorter battery life, etc...
>
> Thank you in advance.

**
> Registered Linux User Number 185956
> FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
> Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
> Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
> 11:41pm up 55 days, 2:23, 6 users, load average: 2.99, 3.00, 2.84

"Jerry McBride" <mcbrides9@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I've got an "older" compaq presario 700us that sports a 1.2g amd athlon 4
> process with power now...
>
> Powertweak (linux) reports it as a athlon 4, k6-2 family. What is that?
>
> Would anyone have an idea what this chip actually is? What I have in mind
is
> upgrading it, if it's compatible with todays xp mobile chips.
>
> Yup, I know all about increased heat, shorter battery life, etc...
>
> Thank you in advance.

If it's a socket athlon then any of the new chips should go in.
The problem will be FSB, Multiplier, and Chip Power Consumption.
The power consumption will be the main issue for you I would guess. I dont
know how todays compaq's are made and the problem will be if the board was
FULLY spec'd around the processor that would go in it. That being that the
power max was built around the power max of the chip. So adding in
something that will use more juice will just prove to be unstable or even
harmful to the pc.

It's also possible that (and I havent looked into it so this is why I am
saying it's possible) that the chip is "on board" and not going into a
socket. If it's soilder'd directly to the board then your stuck with it.

rstlne wrote:

> "Jerry McBride" <mcbrides9@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>

>> I've got an "older" compaq presario 700us that sports a 1.2g amd athlon 4
>> process with power now...
>>
>> Powertweak (linux) reports it as a athlon 4, k6-2 family. What is that?
>>
>> Would anyone have an idea what this chip actually is? What I have in mind
> is
>> upgrading it, if it's compatible with todays xp mobile chips.
>>
>> Yup, I know all about increased heat, shorter battery life, etc...
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>

> If it's a socket athlon then any of the new chips should go in.
> The problem will be FSB, Multiplier, and Chip Power Consumption.
> The power consumption will be the main issue for you I would guess. I
> dont know how todays compaq's are made and the problem will be if the
> board was
> FULLY spec'd around the processor that would go in it. That being that
> the
> power max was built around the power max of the chip. So adding in
> something that will use more juice will just prove to be unstable or even
> harmful to the pc.
>
> It's also possible that (and I havent looked into it so this is why I am
> saying it's possible) that the chip is "on board" and not going into a
> socket. If it's soilder'd directly to the board then your stuck with it.

It's in a zif socket... so I'm closer to upgrading...

Thanks.

Registered Linux User Number 185956
FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
7:21am up 55 days, 10:03, 6 users, load average: 2.89, 2.82, 2.70

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Canus_Lupis wrote:
>
> > Download AIDA 32 and it will tell you everything about your computer.
>
> Hmmm doesn't turn up on the usual sites... Sorry, I run linux.

AIDA32 is now Everest...same program, different company

http://www.lavalys.com/

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:25:45 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

> Canus_Lupis wrote:
>
>> Download AIDA 32 and it will tell you everything about your computer.
>
> Hmmm doesn't turn up on the usual sites... Sorry, I run linux.

So do this:

[wes@wes2 wes]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 1999.952
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 3984.58

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Jerry McBride wrote:
> Canus_Lupis wrote:
>

>>Download AIDA 32 and it will tell you everything about your computer.
>

> Hmmm doesn't turn up on the usual sites... Sorry, I run linux.

AIDA32 is a windows program anyway. Quite good though. Of all the
utilities like it that I use (like Nero Infotool), even most of the
newer ones, only AIDA32 properly detects/reports the BIOS revision on my
Gigabyte mobo after I flashed the BIOS.

-Rick

"Rick M." <dishtv@ptd.net> wrote in message
> Jerry McBride wrote:
>> Canus_Lupis wrote:
>>

>>>Download AIDA 32 and it will tell you everything about your computer.
>>

>> Hmmm doesn't turn up on the usual sites... Sorry, I run linux.
>

> AIDA32 is a windows program anyway. Quite good though. Of all the
> utilities like it that I use (like Nero Infotool), even most of the newer
> ones, only AIDA32 properly detects/reports the BIOS revision on my
> Gigabyte mobo after I flashed the BIOS.

I liked AIDA32 but it isn't being upgraded anymore. EVEREST is the current
equivalent: http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

--
Derek

geoff

"Rick M." <dishtv@ptd.net> wrote in message
> Jerry McBride wrote:
> > Canus_Lupis wrote:
> >

> > > Download AIDA 32 and it will tell you everything
> > > about your computer.
> >

> > Hmmm doesn't turn up on the usual sites... Sorry, I run
> > linux.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

?