Advice please: would this Duron 1.1 system run XP well?

Hi folks,

I'd like a bit of advice, if you will. It's about whether I should upgrade
my Mum's PC from Windows 98se to Windows XP.

Her system spec is:

SiS730 chipset motherboard / Socket A 810 Series
AMD Duron 1.1GHz CPU
384 MB RAM (PC133 SDRAM)
19GB Hard Drive
Onboard Sound, Modem, LAN and VGA (16MB)

It currently runs Windows 98SE, but I was wondering if it would run XP
efficiently. I've read the min spec. for XP and it certainly falls within
this, but what I want to know is: would it crawl along with XP or run along
at a happy speed?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Gareth J M Saunders
Edinburgh, UK

Malke

Gareth J M Saunders wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like a bit of advice, if you will. It's about whether I should
> upgrade my Mum's PC from Windows 98se to Windows XP.
>
> Her system spec is:
>
> SiS730 chipset motherboard / Socket A 810 Series
> AMD Duron 1.1GHz CPU
> 384 MB RAM (PC133 SDRAM)
> 19GB Hard Drive
> Onboard Sound, Modem, LAN and VGA (16MB)
>
> It currently runs Windows 98SE, but I was wondering if it would run XP
> efficiently. I've read the min spec. for XP and it certainly falls
> within this, but what I want to know is: would it crawl along with XP
> or run along at a happy speed?

IMO it would be OK unless your Mum is into fragging aliens and other
heavy 3D gaming (I'm guessing not). You might want to increase the RAM
to 512. After the install, turn off most of XP's eye candy for more
satisfactory performance.

The main thing in your case is to be sure that all hardware supports XP
(that there are drivers available) and that any software she is running
also works with XP. You can download the XP Upgrade Advisor here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

You might want to run it first.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hard drive "seems" to be small. XP will claim 5-7GB on a "fresh" install.
Not sure on an upgrade install (if you keep Windows 98 during it.)

Ram would be "slow"

VGA will be limited.

Depending on the processor speed, the system could be slow.