Compurer will not recognize external hard drive

I have a new samsun 120 GB hard drive that I have placed into two
seperate external enclosures connected to my dell pentium 4 win XP
computer via USB. My computer will not recognize the hard drive. It
powers up fine? Any ideas of what to do next?
Please email me at neal2222@aol.com.
5 answers Last reply
More about compurer recognize external hard drive

    dezmondsteele wrote:
    > I have a new samsun 120 GB hard drive that I have placed into two
    > seperate external enclosures connected to my dell pentium 4 win XP
    > computer via USB. My computer will not recognize the hard drive. It
    > powers up fine? Any ideas of what to do next?
    > Please email me at neal2222@aol.com.

    The drive needs to be formatted in order for it to be seen.
    Has the new hard drive been formatted?

    "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote...

    > dezmondsteele wrote:
    >> I have a new samsun 120 GB hard drive that I have placed into two
    >> seperate external enclosures connected to my dell pentium 4 win XP
    >> computer via USB. My computer will not recognize the hard drive. It
    >> powers up fine? Any ideas of what to do next?
    >> Please email me at neal2222@aol.com.
    >
    > The drive needs to be formatted in order for it to be seen.
    > Has the new hard drive been formatted?

    Does Windows recognize the USB device? If so, what shows in Disk Manager? If
    not, have you tried the mfgrs' web sites for the enclosures for needed drivers?

    "Ghostrider"
    FYI, External drives, USB and Firewire are supplied drivers by the XP
    operating system, not the manufacturer. The only items supplied for
    external drives by the manufacturer are applications, and firmware
    updates.
    Please don't keep posting incorrect information.
    Thanks,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    dezmondsteele wrote:
    > I have a new samsun 120 GB hard drive that I have placed into two
    > seperate external enclosures connected to my dell pentium 4 win XP
    > computer via USB. My computer will not recognize the hard drive. It
    > powers up fine? Any ideas of what to do next?
    > Please email me at neal2222@aol.com.

    Ghostrider response:
    The drive needs to be formatted in order for it to be seen.
    Has the new hard drive been formatted?

    And from John Weiss...

    "Treeman" <Treeman.1su4kf@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > "Ghostrider"
    > FYI, External drives, USB and Firewire are supplied drivers by the XP
    > operating system, not the manufacturer. The only items supplied for
    > external drives by the manufacturer are applications, and firmware
    > updates.
    > Please don't keep posting incorrect information.
    > Thanks,
    > Treeman
    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    Treeman:
    First of all, I assume you're responding to John Weiss and *not*
    "Ghostrider". It was John who suggested the OP, in view of his problem,
    contact the manufacturer of his USB external HD enclosures to see if there
    were available drivers to support USB 2.0.

    Let me say at the outset that I suspect Ghostrider's instinct is correct in
    that the OP's Samsung drives may not have not been partitioned/formatted and
    that is the root cause of his problem. Would you & I have $1 for every user
    who has installed a "virgin" drive without partitioning/formatting it and
    then complaining that the system doesn't "see" that drive, we would be both
    be millionaires. It's an *extremely* common occurrence.

    But, assuming that is *not* the problem...

    It is true, as you state, that the XP OS (including SP1 and/or SP2) *should*
    have provided the necessary USB 2.0 drivers upon installation of the OS. But
    we have encountered a number of instances where USB 2.0 support was *not*
    provided by the OS for reasons we've never been able to discern. And in
    those situations (a minority to be sure, but present nevertheless) an
    appropriate driver to provide USB 2.0 capability *was* obtainable from the
    manufacturer of the USB device, including external enclosures and jump
    drives. This might be in addition to any firmware releases for the device
    from the manufacturer. I might add that in a number of these non-recognition
    of USB 2.0 issues, a USB 2.0 driver provided by the motherboard's
    manufacturer also overcame this problem.

    So John's advice is reasonable and should not be denigrated as "incorrect".
    Surely there's nothing to lose by the OP except a few moments of his/her
    time to access the manufacturer's site to determine if there is any driver
    update (or any other kind of update) for the problem device.

    Anna

    P.S.
    It would be helpful, Treeman, if you would include the prior postings (or
    their pertinent portions) in your response(s), so that *all* can follow the
    issue in this thread. I included them in this posting.

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
    > Treeman:
    > First of all, I assume you're responding to John Weiss and *not*
    > "Ghostrider". It was John who suggested the OP, in view of his problem,
    > contact the manufacturer of his USB external HD enclosures to see if there
    > were available drivers to support USB 2.0.
    >
    > Let me say at the outset that I suspect Ghostrider's instinct is correct
    > in that the OP's Samsung drives may not have not been
    > partitioned/formatted and that is the root cause of his problem. Would you
    > & I have $1 for every user who has installed a "virgin" drive without
    > partitioning/formatting it and then complaining that the system doesn't
    > "see" that drive, we would be both be millionaires. It's an *extremely*
    > common occurrence.
    >
    > But, assuming that is *not* the problem...
    >
    > It is true, as you state, that the XP OS (including SP1 and/or SP2)
    > *should* have provided the necessary USB 2.0 drivers upon installation of
    > the OS. But we have encountered a number of instances where USB 2.0
    > support was *not* provided by the OS for reasons we've never been able to
    > discern. And in those situations (a minority to be sure, but present
    > nevertheless) an appropriate driver to provide USB 2.0 capability *was*
    > obtainable from the manufacturer of the USB device, including external
    > enclosures and jump drives. This might be in addition to any firmware
    > releases for the device from the manufacturer. I might add that in a
    > number of these non-recognition of USB 2.0 issues, a USB 2.0 driver
    > provided by the motherboard's manufacturer also overcame this problem.
    >
    > So John's advice is reasonable and should not be denigrated as
    > "incorrect". Surely there's nothing to lose by the OP except a few moments
    > of his/her time to access the manufacturer's site to determine if there is
    > any driver update (or any other kind of update) for the problem device.
    >
    > Anna
    >
    > P.S.
    > It would be helpful, Treeman, if you would include the prior postings (or
    > their pertinent portions) in your response(s), so that *all* can follow
    > the issue in this thread. I included them in this posting.

    Treeman (and others):
    In re:reading the postings re this issue, I just realized that the issue is
    *not* what I thought it was, i.e., USB 2.0 recognition of the devices in
    question, but rather the system not recognizing the USB devices at all. So
    my reference to USB 2.0 was not relevant to the issue at hand, although I
    believe they are correct with respect to the "usual" problem of the system
    not recognizing USB 2.0 capability. Anyway, my apologies for
    misunderstanding the issue
    Anna

Computers Hard Drives External Hard Drive Windows XP