Sony PCG-GRT160

Laptop running XP Home with SP2. The DVDRW drive Sony U50A cannot read any
discs inside Windows. I can reinstall Windows as well as boot up to Knoppix
using a Knoppix CD. Any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about sony grt160

    Hello Nocturnal,

    Thank you for using newsgroup!

    For your issue, the DVD-RW drive cannot read any discs (including CD, data
    CD, DVD, DVD-RW disc)? When you try to read the discs, do you get any error
    message? If so, would you please help me describe the error message exactly?

    I also suggest you check the Device Manager to see if you get any error
    message appears in connection with any DVD-RW device that is part of your
    computer system.

    I also provide some suggestions to test:

    Suggestion1.
    ----------------------------
    Please temporarily uninstall any disc burning programs on the problematic
    Windows XP SP2 machine to test the issue.

    Suggestion2.
    ----------------------------
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
    Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
    1. Click on Start Menu and then click on Run. In run window type "regedit"
    (without the quotes) and then click OK.
    2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
    E-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
    E-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and
    the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular
    program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that
    software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for
    assistance.
    7. Restart your computer.

    For more information, please refer to:
    314060: CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32,
    Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

    Suggestion3. Reinstall DVD-RW driver
    ----------------------------
    1. Click Start and click Run.
    2. Type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotation marks) and press OK.
    3. Press the View menu and choose Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the "DVD-RW drivers" branch, and then remove all the devices
    listed here.
    5. Please restart the system to test this issue.

    Hope the information helps!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Ken Zhao

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
    Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
    Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
    code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
    secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    information, please go to:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    4662

    --------------------
    | From: "Nocturnal" <anonymous@anonymous.com>
    | Subject: Sony PCG-GRT160
    | Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:47:18 -1000
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    |
    | Laptop running XP Home with SP2. The DVDRW drive Sony U50A cannot read
    any
    | discs inside Windows. I can reinstall Windows as well as boot up to
    Knoppix
    | using a Knoppix CD. Any ideas?

    I tried all solutions possible. The only thing I can think of is the DVDRW
    drive does not like SP2. I am going to attempt to install Windows without
    SP2 and see if this resolves the problem. Otherwise I'm going to have to
    write it off as a defective hard drive. Possibly a bad firmware update gone
    bad prior to bringing it to me.

    --
    Nocturnal

    "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" <v-kzhao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    > information, please go to:
    > https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    > 4662
    >

    > --------------------
    > | From: "Nocturnal" <anonymous@anonymous.com>
    > | Subject: Sony PCG-GRT160
    > | Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:47:18 -1000
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    > |
    > | Laptop running XP Home with SP2. The DVDRW drive Sony U50A cannot read
    > any
    > | discs inside Windows. I can reinstall Windows as well as boot up to

    Hello Nocturnal,

    Sorry to hear that my suggestions can not help you resolve the issue.

    I agree with your suggestions if the problem occurs after applying SP2.
    Maybe updating firmware is helpful. In addition, I also provide you some
    further suggestions to test the issue here:

    1. Verify that the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service is starting properly.
    1) Click Start, and click Run.
    2) Type Services.msc, and click OK.
    3) Check whether the "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" has started. If not,
    please double-click it, and click Start to start the service.
    Please test whether the problem persists.

    2. I suggest we restart the computer in Safe Mode to see if the problem
    also occurs in this mode. Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode
    configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA
    display adapter.

    1) Restart the computer.
    2) Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
    3) Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.

    Note: Some third party applications and some hardware device cannot be used
    during Safe Mode. You will temporarily be unable to connect to the Internet
    temporarily while in Safe Mode.

    3. Use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference
    It is possible that some third party applications are incompatible with
    Windows XP. To isolate the influence of additional applications, please
    boot the system into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem
    continues:

    1) Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard, the mouse
    left.
    2) Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
    the Open box, and then click OK.
    3) In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
    4) In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button.
    5) Click OK and restart your computer.

    310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

    HTH!

> [...]

    | > Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to
    the
    | > Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
    | > secure
    | > code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    | > after which you will need to update your registration by entering the
    new
    | > secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    | > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    | > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
    Please
    | > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    | > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    | > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    | > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more

    | > |
    | > | Laptop running XP Home with SP2. The DVDRW drive Sony U50A cannot
    read
    | > any
    | > | discs inside Windows. I can reinstall Windows as well as boot up to
    | > Knoppix
    | > | using a Knoppix CD. Any ideas?
    | > |
    | > |