dell 720 Printer

Dell have an offer till end of tomoorow for a dell 720 printer,
cartridges and cable for £9.99. I'm looking for a cheap printer, does
anyone know if this one is any good, will it work with windows me
(dell say win 2000 & xp). Also its usb 2.0, so will this work with usb
1.0.

thanks in advance

Andy

Big H wrote:
> Dell have an offer till end of tomoorow for a dell 720 printer,
> cartridges and cable for £9.99. I'm looking for a cheap printer, does
> anyone know if this one is any good, will it work with windows me
> (dell say win 2000 & xp). Also its usb 2.0, so will this work with usb
> 1.0.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Andy

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO and NO!!! You might pay £9.99 for the
printer, but you'll be paying at least four times that for your first
replacement cartridge set! You see, Dell doesn't manufacture printers -
never has and (probably) never will. All their units are manufactured by
Lexmark and, as anyone who knows anything about printers will tell you, you
just don't buy Lexmark! Dell does modify the cartridge holder ever so
slightly so that you have to use their cartridges, and no one else's. You
cannot use compatibles and you cannot refill.

The phrase "cheap printer" is an oxymoron. The cheaper the printer, the more
expensive the ink. I paid £500 for my printer, but I only pay £4 per
replacement tank (£1.80 if I use JetTec compatibles - which are just as good
and the prints last the same length of time).

By the way, I searched Dell UK's site and I couldn't find anything like what
you're talking about. Could you give me a direct link?

STEER WELL CLEAR!! If you don't heed this, I shall find out where you live
and confiscate all means of payment until you come to your senses! ;o) <eg>
<j/k>

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Miss Perspicacia Tick, every thing you said is so true. Thank you. I've been
telling this to my customers for years. I've been in the inkjet and toner
business since 1991 and as far as I concerned....Buy HP laser printers and
inkjets. You'll never be sorry. Pete
> Big H wrote:
> > Dell have an offer till end of tomoorow for a dell 720 printer,
> > cartridges and cable for £9.99. I'm looking for a cheap printer, does
> > anyone know if this one is any good, will it work with windows me
> > (dell say win 2000 & xp). Also its usb 2.0, so will this work with usb
> > 1.0.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > Andy
>
> NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO and NO!!! You might pay £9.99 for the
> printer, but you'll be paying at least four times that for your first
> replacement cartridge set! You see, Dell doesn't manufacture printers -
> never has and (probably) never will. All their units are manufactured by
> Lexmark and, as anyone who knows anything about printers will tell you,
you
> just don't buy Lexmark! Dell does modify the cartridge holder ever so
> slightly so that you have to use their cartridges, and no one else's. You
> cannot use compatibles and you cannot refill.
>
> The phrase "cheap printer" is an oxymoron. The cheaper the printer, the
more
> expensive the ink. I paid £500 for my printer, but I only pay £4 per
> replacement tank (£1.80 if I use JetTec compatibles - which are just as
good
> and the prints last the same length of time).
>
> By the way, I searched Dell UK's site and I couldn't find anything like
what
> you're talking about. Could you give me a direct link?
>
> STEER WELL CLEAR!! If you don't heed this, I shall find out where you live
> and confiscate all means of payment until you come to your senses! ;o)
<eg>
> <j/k>

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <cb33g09jorq78bnaq9n49dj1v9i5q16224@4ax.com>,
haystacks@bigfoot.com says...
> Dell have an offer till end of tomoorow for a dell 720 printer,
> cartridges and cable for £9.99. I'm looking for a cheap printer, does
> anyone know if this one is any good, will it work with windows me
> (dell say win 2000 & xp). Also its usb 2.0, so will this work with usb
> 1.0.

1: Cheap printer = expensive ink. MUCH more than the cost of the printer
itself
2: Dell printers are rebadged Lexmark printers, which are the most
expensive to use, and not highly rated
3: Dell printers use modified Lexmark cartridges. You MUST buy them on-
line from Dell, and pay shipping costs, too. You can't go down to the
local store to buy any.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Pete wrote:
> Miss Perspicacia Tick, every thing you said is so true. Thank you.
> I've been telling this to my customers for years. I've been in the
> inkjet and toner business since 1991 and as far as I concerned....Buy
> HP laser printers and inkjets. You'll never be sorry. Pete

HP?! Are you insane, man?! HP has the worst support on the planet (even
worse than Lexmark's!) IMNSHO, there's only one brand worth purchasing -
Canon. Or Minolta for colour lasers (though OKI and Kyocera aren't bad
either).

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
> [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was
> sent to the cited author.]
>
> In article <cb33g09jorq78bnaq9n49dj1v9i5q16224@4ax.com>,
> haystacks@bigfoot.com says...
>> Dell have an offer till end of tomoorow for a dell 720 printer,
>> cartridges and cable for £9.99. I'm looking for a cheap printer, does
>> anyone know if this one is any good, will it work with windows me
>> (dell say win 2000 & xp). Also its usb 2.0, so will this work with
>> usb
>> 1.0.
>
> 1: Cheap printer = expensive ink. MUCH more than the cost of the
> printer itself
> 2: Dell printers are rebadged Lexmark printers, which are the most
> expensive to use, and not highly rated
> 3: Dell printers use modified Lexmark cartridges. You MUST buy them
> on- line from Dell, and pay shipping costs, too. You can't go down to
> the local store to buy any.

Erm, isn't that - more or less - what I said?! ;o)

In article <eKtMc.273$846.86@fe48.usenetserver.com>, misstick@lancre.dw
says...
> Andrew Rossmann wrote:
> > [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was
> > sent to the cited author.]
> >
> > In article <cb33g09jorq78bnaq9n49dj1v9i5q16224@4ax.com>,
> > haystacks@bigfoot.com says...
> >> Dell have an offer till end of tomoorow for a dell 720 printer,
> >> cartridges and cable for £9.99. I'm looking for a cheap printer, does
> >> anyone know if this one is any good, will it work with windows me
> >> (dell say win 2000 & xp). Also its usb 2.0, so will this work with
> >> usb
> >> 1.0.
> >
> > 1: Cheap printer = expensive ink. MUCH more than the cost of the
> > printer itself
> > 2: Dell printers are rebadged Lexmark printers, which are the most
> > expensive to use, and not highly rated
> > 3: Dell printers use modified Lexmark cartridges. You MUST buy them
> > on- line from Dell, and pay shipping costs, too. You can't go down to
> > the local store to buy any.
>
> Erm, isn't that - more or less - what I said?! ;o)

I hadn't seen your other post at the time.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross