Mouse keeps dying - batteries fine

July 27, 2005 3:45:04 AM

XP SP2 with logitech cordless keyboard/mouse. PS2 port died (had mouse
plugged into that with a USB adapter), so I bought 4 port USB PCI card. Mouse
works for 4-5 hours then stops, when I plug it into a different port nothing
happens until I reboot, then it works again for 4-5 hours then stops. Had to
buy a nic card long before this issue and it's plugged into another PCI slot.
Tried switching the cards to different PCI slots and in some cases that not
only killed the mouse but also my internet connection. I've tried plugging
the mouse into original USB ports that work for other devices (scanner) but
same problem, mouse dies after 4-5 hours. Batteries are fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

NOTEKY
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:23:59 AM

Substitute a know good mouse and see what happens.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP SP2 with logitech cordless keyboard/mouse. PS2 port died (had mouse
> plugged into that with a USB adapter), so I bought 4 port USB PCI card.
> Mouse
> works for 4-5 hours then stops, when I plug it into a different port
> nothing
> happens until I reboot, then it works again for 4-5 hours then stops. Had
> buy a nic card long before this issue and it's plugged into another PCI
> slot.
> Tried switching the cards to different PCI slots and in some cases that
> not
> only killed the mouse but also my internet connection. I've tried plugging
> the mouse into original USB ports that work for other devices (scanner)
> but
> same problem, mouse dies after 4-5 hours. Batteries are fine.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> NOTEKY
July 27, 2005 5:00:00 PM

Other wireless devices close could be causing it. Router, phone,,,,

"NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP SP2 with logitech cordless keyboard/mouse. PS2 port died (had mouse
> plugged into that with a USB adapter), so I bought 4 port USB PCI card.
> Mouse
> works for 4-5 hours then stops, when I plug it into a different port
> nothing
> happens until I reboot, then it works again for 4-5 hours then stops. Had
> buy a nic card long before this issue and it's plugged into another PCI
> slot.
> Tried switching the cards to different PCI slots and in some cases that
> not
> only killed the mouse but also my internet connection. I've tried plugging
> the mouse into original USB ports that work for other devices (scanner)
> but
> same problem, mouse dies after 4-5 hours. Batteries are fine.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> NOTEKY
July 27, 2005 5:00:01 PM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:00:00 GMT, "Woody" <TheDuck@pond.net> wrote:

>Other wireless devices close could be causing it. Router, phone,,,,

Use a wired USB mouse to eliminate the chance that it's wireless
interference. If it still screwing up then you know it's a USB problem.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

I had a problem with a logitech wireless usb mouse, it would stop working,
unplugging then replugging to a diff.usb port cured it.
Eventually purchased a new one - no further probs

"NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP SP2 with logitech cordless keyboard/mouse. PS2 port died (had mouse
> plugged into that with a USB adapter), so I bought 4 port USB PCI card.
Mouse
> works for 4-5 hours then stops, when I plug it into a different port
nothing
> happens until I reboot, then it works again for 4-5 hours then stops. Had
> buy a nic card long before this issue and it's plugged into another PCI
slot.
> Tried switching the cards to different PCI slots and in some cases that
not
> only killed the mouse but also my internet connection. I've tried plugging
> the mouse into original USB ports that work for other devices (scanner)
but
> same problem, mouse dies after 4-5 hours. Batteries are fine.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> NOTEKY
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 4:18:03 AM

Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate it. The only other wireless device
I own is the keyboard so it would appear Richard and DL have probably nailed
it, time to replace the mouse. Come to think of it, this started immediately
after I took a Q-tip and some rubbing acohol and swabbed inside to clean out
some debris. Could be I destroyed it myself. Curiously, I took it to Future
shop when it died just to make sure it was the PS2 port and not the mouse and
it worked fine there so that's why I bought the USB card. When I returned
home I tried it one more time in the PS2 port and still no go. Hard to
believe that both the mouse and the PS2 port both died at the same time. But,
stranger things have happened.

Thanks again!

NOTEKY

"DL" wrote:

> I had a problem with a logitech wireless usb mouse, it would stop working,
> unplugging then replugging to a diff.usb port cured it.
> Eventually purchased a new one - no further probs
>
> "NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > XP SP2 with logitech cordless keyboard/mouse. PS2 port died (had mouse
> > plugged into that with a USB adapter), so I bought 4 port USB PCI card.
> Mouse
> > works for 4-5 hours then stops, when I plug it into a different port
> nothing
> > happens until I reboot, then it works again for 4-5 hours then stops. Had
> > buy a nic card long before this issue and it's plugged into another PCI
> slot.
> > Tried switching the cards to different PCI slots and in some cases that
> not
> > only killed the mouse but also my internet connection. I've tried plugging
> > the mouse into original USB ports that work for other devices (scanner)
> but
> > same problem, mouse dies after 4-5 hours. Batteries are fine.
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > NOTEKY

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:04:30 PM

You probably created a "short-circuit" in the battery compartment. What
type of "mess" did you have to clean out?

As for the PS/2 mouse port, I have seen motherboard where you can turn them
off. Look inside your BIOS as check to see if the PS/2 mouse port is
"emabled".

> Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate it. The only other wireless
> device
> I own is the keyboard so it would appear Richard and DL have probably
> nailed
> it, time to replace the mouse. Come to think of it, this started
> immediately
> after I took a Q-tip and some rubbing acohol and swabbed inside to clean
> out
> some debris. Could be I destroyed it myself. Curiously, I took it to
> Future
> shop when it died just to make sure it was the PS2 port and not the mouse
> and
> it worked fine there so that's why I bought the USB card. When I returned
> home I tried it one more time in the PS2 port and still no go. Hard to
> believe that both the mouse and the PS2 port both died at the same time.
> But,
> stranger things have happened.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> NOTEKY
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> I had a problem with a logitech wireless usb mouse, it would stop
>> working,
>> unplugging then replugging to a diff.usb port cured it.
>> Eventually purchased a new one - no further probs
>>
>> "NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > XP SP2 with logitech cordless keyboard/mouse. PS2 port died (had mouse
>> > plugged into that with a USB adapter), so I bought 4 port USB PCI card.
>> Mouse
>> > works for 4-5 hours then stops, when I plug it into a different port
>> nothing
>> > happens until I reboot, then it works again for 4-5 hours then stops.
>> > Had
>> > buy a nic card long before this issue and it's plugged into another PCI
>> slot.
>> > Tried switching the cards to different PCI slots and in some cases that
>> not
>> > only killed the mouse but also my internet connection. I've tried
>> > plugging
>> > the mouse into original USB ports that work for other devices (scanner)
>> but
>> > same problem, mouse dies after 4-5 hours. Batteries are fine.
>> >
>> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > NOTEKY

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 1:29:03 AM

Thanks Yves, you're probably correct on the short circuit, curiously it
hasn't died in 2 days now (fingers crossed). I was just swabbing a piece of
"lint" out and gave it the full going over.

I disabled the PS2 port to see if that might have been the cause of the USB
problem, so it was always enabled prior to the onset of this issue. It's been
disabled for a while now so it doesn't appear that's what's causing this.

NOTEKY

!