adding second hard drive as one drive

Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

Hi all,
Assuming I get my second hard drive setup properly in Windows XP Pro, and
can see it in disk managment;
what is best
a second hard drive setup as a new drive letter or
is there a way to make the second hard drive appear as one drive (in other
words combine second with first as one drive.)
I am wanting to be able install programs on the second hard drive without
any problems in the program finding the windows system folders or temp
directory or cache or virtural memory.
What would you consider to be the best practice for a second harddrive?
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Sher

"Sher" <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

> Assuming I get my second hard drive setup properly in Windows XP Pro, and
> can see it in disk managment;
> what is best a second hard drive setup as a new drive letter or
> is there a way to make the second hard drive appear as one drive (in other
> words combine second with first as one drive.)

Assign a new drive letter. It doesn't really matter which letter you use
(except, don't use A: or B:, usually reserved for floppies), but the next
available letter (E: if your CD-ROM is D:) is commonly used.

> I am wanting to be able install programs on the second hard drive without
> any problems in the program finding the windows system folders or temp
> directory or cache or virtural memory.

No problem; the apps will find them, because the Registry broadcasts all that
info to the apps.

When you install the apps, you may have to do a Custom install to load it on the
new HD.

However, a more common practice is to use C: for the operating system and apps,
and the second HD for data. You can re-assign your "My Documents" folder and
other data folders to a folder on the new HD.

Finally, if the new HD is bigger/better/faster than the old one, you may want to
use it as the boot drive, and copy/transfer your data to the old one. That
takes a lot more work, though...

Combining two hard drives as one is called a RAID assembly (strip 0 or
strip 1) however they only work with SATA drives.You can mount the new
drive in C: In diskmgmt after the drive is formated,go to actions all,change
drive letter/paths,change path,new,browse in C: create a new folder,change
it to xps default for this:WUTemp Then close out.Set as paging file in sytem
properties also.

"Sher" wrote:

> Hi all,
> Assuming I get my second hard drive setup properly in Windows XP Pro, and
> can see it in disk managment;
> what is best
> a second hard drive setup as a new drive letter or
> is there a way to make the second hard drive appear as one drive (in other
> words combine second with first as one drive.)
> I am wanting to be able install programs on the second hard drive without
> any problems in the program finding the windows system folders or temp
> directory or cache or virtural memory.
> What would you consider to be the best practice for a second harddrive?
> Thanks in advance for any help on this.
> Sher

dl

Install new hd as slave, you may have to alter hd jumpers
Boot up, in Disk Management format/partition as required.
Your hd will then be ready.

You dont have to concern yourself with installing apps, all will be OK, win
looks after it. Though you have to use the 'Custom Install' method, as by
default they will install to C:

"Sher" <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Assuming I get my second hard drive setup properly in Windows XP Pro, and
> can see it in disk managment;
> what is best
> a second hard drive setup as a new drive letter or
> is there a way to make the second hard drive appear as one drive (in other
> words combine second with first as one drive.)
> I am wanting to be able install programs on the second hard drive without
> any problems in the program finding the windows system folders or temp
> directory or cache or virtural memory.
> What would you consider to be the best practice for a second harddrive?
> Thanks in advance for any help on this.
> Sher

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

"Sher" <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Assuming I get my second hard drive setup properly in Windows XP Pro, and
> can see it in disk managment;
> what is best
> a second hard drive setup as a new drive letter or
> is there a way to make the second hard drive appear as one drive (in other
> words combine second with first as one drive.)
> I am wanting to be able install programs on the second hard drive without
> any problems in the program finding the windows system folders or temp
> directory or cache or virtural memory.
> What would you consider to be the best practice for a second harddrive?
> Thanks in advance for any help on this.
> Sher
Replace the smaller HD with a new much larger one. They're cheap these days.

"Andrew E." wrote:
> Combining two hard drives as one is called a RAID assembly (strip 0 or
> strip 1) however they only work with SATA drives.

Hooo, boy! High and DEEEEP! Great for compost.

*TimDaniels*

> Combining two hard drives as one is called a RAID assembly (strip 0 or
> strip 1)

Ummm... only if they are configured as such with a RAID controller. You
can also combine physical drives to one volume and hence one letter without
using RAID.

> however they only work with SATA drives.

Sorry, this is not correct. RAID can be assembled using IDE/ATA and SCSI
drives as well. The physical interface doesn't matter a lot.

I'm not sure you fully understand what RAID is about. Perhaps this will
help:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/

-pk