Lost wireless network on Centrino Notebook

My Acer Travelmate recently losy the ability to connect to the wireless
network. One day it worked, put the machine into suspend mode, and when I
restarted it wireless was gone.

The adapter shows as working fine in device manager, it seems as if the
adapter has been switched off with the hardware switch on the outside of the
notebook. Except the switch is gone.

At the same time, the display on the screen of volume adjustment, brightness
adjustment etc (green bars across screen) have also vanished. Could a
corrupted BIOS be to blame? Asking on here is my best hope, as the warrentee
on the machine involves a 14 day return to base, plus ordering parts.....

TIA

Tom.

Sorry, should say switch is ON...

"Tom Cutting" wrote:

> My Acer Travelmate recently losy the ability to connect to the wireless
> network. One day it worked, put the machine into suspend mode, and when I
> restarted it wireless was gone.
>
> The adapter shows as working fine in device manager, it seems as if the
> adapter has been switched off with the hardware switch on the outside of the
> notebook. Except the switch is gone.
>
> At the same time, the display on the screen of volume adjustment, brightness
> adjustment etc (green bars across screen) have also vanished. Could a
> corrupted BIOS be to blame? Asking on here is my best hope, as the warrentee
> on the machine involves a 14 day return to base, plus ordering parts.....
>
> TIA
>
> Tom.

Malke

Tom Cutting wrote:

> Sorry, should say switch is ON...
>

> "Tom Cutting" wrote:
>
>> My Acer Travelmate recently losy the ability to connect to the
>> wireless network. One day it worked, put the machine into suspend
>> mode, and when I restarted it wireless was gone.
>>
>> The adapter shows as working fine in device manager, it seems as if
>> the adapter has been switched off with the hardware switch on the
>> outside of the notebook. Except the switch is gone.
>>
>> At the same time, the display on the screen of volume adjustment,
>> brightness adjustment etc (green bars across screen) have also
>> vanished. Could a corrupted BIOS be to blame? Asking on here is my
>> best hope, as the warrentee on the machine involves a 14 day return
>> to base, plus ordering parts.....
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Tom.

It is very, very unlikely that your BIOS was corrupted. It is far
likelier that you have some sort of hardware failure. I'm afraid with a
laptop the best solution is to contact the mftr.'s tech support people.
If you are hesitant to send the laptop back to Acer, take it to a
professional computer repair shop and have them do a diagnosis for you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com