harddrive heat?

is harddrive heat normal? because my harddrive is located under the two
optical drive (cd-rom drive, Dvd+rw drive) and it's heating up chassis that's
holding the CD-rom Drive, DVD-RW Drive. is this normal? will this cause both
cd-rom and DVD+rw Drive to malfunction? or is optical drive have some kind of
heat resistant?

Malke

typeLL wrote:

> is harddrive heat normal? because my harddrive is located under the
> two optical drive (cd-rom drive, Dvd+rw drive) and it's heating up
> chassis that's holding the CD-rom Drive, DVD-RW Drive. is this normal?
> will this cause both cd-rom and DVD+rw Drive to malfunction? or is
> optical drive have some kind of heat resistant?

Is this an OEM machine (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.)? If so, then presumably
the mftr. has tested airflow in the case. If this is a home-built or
you had a friend or local business build it for you, consider moving
the drive to give it more airflow and also you might want to add some
fans. Hard drives get hot, and if you are feeling a lot of heat all the
way out to the chassis, this is not a Good Thing. I would be more
concerned about the overheating being bad for your hard drive than the
optical drives, but certainly too much heat inside your computer can
damage a lot of components.

If you are unsure, have a knowledgeable friend (someone who is *really*
knowledgeable and not someone who just *says* he is) or a computer
professional check it out.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

typeLL,
Had the same problem on a recent motherboard swap. The tower had very
poor airflow, and had a drive fail from heat. This was a simple
solution, it attaches to the bottom of the hard drive.
'CrazyPC' (http://tinyurl.com/8pah6)
Ultra Thin Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Yes, harddrives do get pretty warm. It is pretty common that whatever is
above will get the heat from the harddrive since heat tends to rise.
My first suggestion would be to try to provide more space around the
harddrive by trying to relocate it to provide additional space above it if
possible.

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP