Jd

My mouse is jumping around, drifting, lagging, not moving where it should.
It is very frustrating.
I bought a new mouse pad, disconnected and reconnected the USB cable, and
cleaned the bottom of the mouse with a moist cloth. Nothing helps.
Is it likely just a mechanical problem that would be solved by buying a new
mouse? Possibly the mouse driver? Any suggestions?
BTW, are these mice frequently problematic? Is an old-fashioned roller-ball
mouse actually preferable?

Malke

JD wrote:

> My mouse is jumping around, drifting, lagging, not moving where it
> should. It is very frustrating.
> I bought a new mouse pad, disconnected and reconnected the USB cable,
> and cleaned the bottom of the mouse with a moist cloth. Nothing helps.
> Is it likely just a mechanical problem that would be solved by buying
> a new mouse? Possibly the mouse driver? Any suggestions?
> BTW, are these mice frequently problematic? Is an old-fashioned
> roller-ball mouse actually preferable?

Optical mice don't need mousepads. It sounds like you have it on a
printed mousepad or a mousepad that isn't a good surface for the
optical mouse. Just put it on the desk. Optical mice don't do well on
glass or other reflective surfaces.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Jd

Thanks for the tip. It does seem to be OK on the wooden desk. However, it
worked equally well on the mouse pad for more than a year until just a few
days ago. It seems odd.
"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> JD wrote:
>
>> My mouse is jumping around, drifting, lagging, not moving where it
>> should. It is very frustrating.
>> I bought a new mouse pad, disconnected and reconnected the USB cable,
>> and cleaned the bottom of the mouse with a moist cloth. Nothing helps.
>> Is it likely just a mechanical problem that would be solved by buying
>> a new mouse? Possibly the mouse driver? Any suggestions?
>> BTW, are these mice frequently problematic? Is an old-fashioned
>> roller-ball mouse actually preferable?
>
> Optical mice don't need mousepads. It sounds like you have it on a
> printed mousepad or a mousepad that isn't a good surface for the
> optical mouse. Just put it on the desk. Optical mice don't do well on
> glass or other reflective surfaces.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

does it have batteries - is it wireless? You may need new batteries.

"JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the tip. It does seem to be OK on the wooden desk. However, it
> worked equally well on the mouse pad for more than a year until just a few
> days ago. It seems odd.
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> JD wrote:
>>
>>> My mouse is jumping around, drifting, lagging, not moving where it
>>> should. It is very frustrating.
>>> I bought a new mouse pad, disconnected and reconnected the USB cable,
>>> and cleaned the bottom of the mouse with a moist cloth. Nothing helps.
>>> Is it likely just a mechanical problem that would be solved by buying
>>> a new mouse? Possibly the mouse driver? Any suggestions?
>>> BTW, are these mice frequently problematic? Is an old-fashioned
>>> roller-ball mouse actually preferable?
>>
>> Optical mice don't need mousepads. It sounds like you have it on a
>> printed mousepad or a mousepad that isn't a good surface for the
>> optical mouse. Just put it on the desk. Optical mice don't do well on
>> glass or other reflective surfaces.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell