overheating amd 3200+

Hi all,

I can't seem to get the temps down on my amd, it is running about
55-56degC idle and 59-61degC loaded. This is running stock speed. If I
bring the speed up any then the temps soar over 60 constant. The heat
sink is a big Ultra Fire thing that is supposed to be good for up to
3400+ I have wired a second faster fan on it as the original fan is a
slow (2400rpm) quiet thing and brought the fan up to about 3100rpm.
This has not really helped and has made it much louder so I figure I
need a better solution.

Can someone recommend a cooling solution that will be as quiet as
possible yet cool this processor well enough so that it can be OC'd?

I'm open to either air or water cooling solutions that would work in a
25 to 30 deg. C. environment. At the moment I'm rather leaning towards
a water solution so that I could put the radiator in the next room.

Thoughts?

Mike

"M.Hockings" <veeshooter@hockings.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I can't seem to get the temps down on my amd, it is running about
> 55-56degC idle and 59-61degC loaded. This is running stock speed. If I
> bring the speed up any then the temps soar over 60 constant. The heat
> sink is a big Ultra Fire thing that is supposed to be good for up to
> 3400+ I have wired a second faster fan on it as the original fan is a
> slow (2400rpm) quiet thing and brought the fan up to about 3100rpm.
> This has not really helped and has made it much louder so I figure I
> need a better solution.
>
> Can someone recommend a cooling solution that will be as quiet as
> possible yet cool this processor well enough so that it can be OC'd?
>
> I'm open to either air or water cooling solutions that would work in a
> 25 to 30 deg. C. environment. At the moment I'm rather leaning towards
> a water solution so that I could put the radiator in the next room.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Mike
Hm, first thing I would try is to re-do your HSF setup.
Also, watch how much grease you use.
Too much = a hotter cpu, you want it close to paper thin.
in other words, very little.
Why on earth they give you so much of that stuff I don't know.
The stuff I got with my Xeon's I like using with everything.
It took my amd's temps down a little just switching from the white stuff
to http://www.microsi.com
http://www.microsi.com/packaging/thermal_grease.htm
The second url seems to be what I have I think.
Make sure the HS is set right, on the CPU.
The stock fan & Heat sink is good, but if you want better, get something
with a copper base.
I'm thinking in terms of Tt when I put together my dual Xeon.
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/comboCool/a2144Polo735/polo735.htm
Could try something like this.
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/si/a1602.htm
Lots out there to use.
Good luck man.......
Denny. :)

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
> "M.Hockings" <veeshooter@hockings.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I can't seem to get the temps down on my amd, it is running about
>>55-56degC idle and 59-61degC loaded. This is running stock speed. If I
>>bring the speed up any then the temps soar over 60 constant. The heat
>>sink is a big Ultra Fire thing that is supposed to be good for up to
>>3400+ I have wired a second faster fan on it as the original fan is a
>>slow (2400rpm) quiet thing and brought the fan up to about 3100rpm.
>>This has not really helped and has made it much louder so I figure I
>>need a better solution.
>>
>>Can someone recommend a cooling solution that will be as quiet as
>>possible yet cool this processor well enough so that it can be OC'd?
>>
>>I'm open to either air or water cooling solutions that would work in a
>>25 to 30 deg. C. environment. At the moment I'm rather leaning towards
>>a water solution so that I could put the radiator in the next room.
>>
>>Thoughts?
>>
>>Mike
>
> Hm, first thing I would try is to re-do your HSF setup.
> Also, watch how much grease you use.
> Too much = a hotter cpu, you want it close to paper thin.
> in other words, very little.
> Why on earth they give you so much of that stuff I don't know.
> The stuff I got with my Xeon's I like using with everything.
> It took my amd's temps down a little just switching from the white stuff
> to http://www.microsi.com
> http://www.microsi.com/packaging/thermal_grease.htm
> The second url seems to be what I have I think.
> Make sure the HS is set right, on the CPU.
> The stock fan & Heat sink is good, but if you want better, get something
> with a copper base.
> I'm thinking in terms of Tt when I put together my dual Xeon.
> http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/comboCool/a2144Polo735/polo735.htm
> Could try something like this.
> http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/si/a1602.htm
> Lots out there to use.
> Good luck man.......
> Denny. :)

Thanks Denny, I have removed, cleaned and replaced the heat sink but it
does not seem to make any difference. This Ultra thing has about a 1/4"
copper plate on the bottom with the aluminum fins attached to it. I
like the idea of those Tt heat sinks that are one piece as I wonder if
the interface between the copper and the alu is not the best.

Hopefully I'll make it to a store today to pick up some better thermal
grease as you point out that small change could make a big difference.

Mike

hey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

I can recommend a coupledifferent coolers from personal experience:
the entire Thermalright line works very well; however, if you look on
my current rig, a 2600mobile/NF7 system running at ~2400 mhz (12x200,
only 1.65 vcc) you willl find an Aerocool DP-102.

Aerocool, Thermalright, and Swiftech make some really good air
heatsinks for overclocking (Swiftech also has several watercooling
solutions)

Regarding Thermaltake: I've had some less than pleasant experiences
with them, in several cases not even cooling as well as stock until I
lapped the base. However they have releasee some new heatpipe units
(that look suspiciously like the Aerocool units) and they should work
well.

Make sure you have good case airflow, too. If the heatsink is just
circulating hot air, you're not going to doing anything but heat up.

==============

Thanks hey,

I looked at several today and ended up picking up a Tt "Volcano 12", it
seemed to have a reasonably good set of fins and fan. The difference
between the Ultra and it is astounding.

The store had a couple of aerocool units, one looked like a heatpipe
thing with two fans and another unit (dunno if it was aerocool or not)
that looked like a sliced pop can and weighed a ton. They looked
formadible but I worried about the weight on the socket.

Currently I have three fans blowing in (two front and one side) and two
exhaust plus the PS fan.

I think the next system I put together I'll spend a bit of time
researching heatsinks. This is the first system we've had that seems to
actually get hot :)

Thanks again for the advise.

Mike

hey wrote:

> I can recommend a coupledifferent coolers from personal experience:
> the entire Thermalright line works very well; however, if you look on
> my current rig, a 2600mobile/NF7 system running at ~2400 mhz (12x200,
> only 1.65 vcc) you willl find an Aerocool DP-102.
>
> Aerocool, Thermalright, and Swiftech make some really good air
> heatsinks for overclocking (Swiftech also has several watercooling
> solutions)
>
> Regarding Thermaltake: I've had some less than pleasant experiences
> with them, in several cases not even cooling as well as stock until I
> lapped the base. However they have releasee some new heatpipe units
> (that look suspiciously like the Aerocool units) and they should work
> well.
>
> Make sure you have good case airflow, too. If the heatsink is just
> circulating hot air, you're not going to doing anything but heat up.
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

hey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

That one that weighs a bunch actually is the DP-102. I'm currently
using one on my P4-based system- relegated for media machine. They
actually work quite well, and as long as you're not using it in a LAN
box (and moving it around a lot), its a great hsf. Also of note,
they are extremely quiet. And they still weigh less than the SP-94
from Thermalright, which is reknowned as being the top air cooled
heatsink...

However, I'm glad you had success with that Thermaltke unit. They
really have a bad rap on some forums/websites, but I think some of
that is caused by unrealistic expectations. The newer ones appear to
be of higher quality and a better finish.

Good luck getting the old one returned!

TRENDING THREADS