Blackjack

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003

Is the pink tape on the cpu mounting surface the thermal tape or a
protective tape that has to be removed? The instructions are not too
explicit. It appears that it should be removed, but I can't remove it.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:01:50 +0000, blackjack wrote:

> Is the pink tape on the cpu mounting surface the thermal tape or a
> protective tape that has to be removed? The instructions are not too
> explicit. It appears that it should be removed, but I can't remove it.

If you mean the actual cpu core, there is no tape on it. The pinkish color
is the core color. Now if you mean on the base of the heatsink, I'd
suspect it's just a protective covering for the interface material and
should be easily removed. I haven't seen any pink heat pads that I recall.

Blackjack

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003

The core you are referring to is the surface the cpu nests with the
heatsink. Is that correct? That is the pink surface I was talking about.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:01:50 +0000, blackjack wrote:
>
> > Is the pink tape on the cpu mounting surface the thermal tape or a
> > protective tape that has to be removed? The instructions are not too
> > explicit. It appears that it should be removed, but I can't remove it.
>
> If you mean the actual cpu core, there is no tape on it. The pinkish color
> is the core color. Now if you mean on the base of the heatsink, I'd
> suspect it's just a protective covering for the interface material and
> should be easily removed. I haven't seen any pink heat pads that I recall.

Errr...the thing in the middle of the CPU, about 8mm wide by 14mm long with
a shinny surface?...THAT IS THE CPU!!!...the surrounding green or brown bit
with the pins is just the 'circuit board' that the CPU is mounted on.
Removing the CPU would be detrimental to performance!

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:01:50 +0000, blackjack wrote:
>
>> Is the pink tape on the cpu mounting surface the thermal tape or a
>> protective tape that has to be removed? The instructions are not too
>> explicit. It appears that it should be removed, but I can't remove
>> it.
>
> If you mean the actual cpu core, there is no tape on it. The pinkish
> color is the core color. Now if you mean on the base of the heatsink,
> I'd suspect it's just a protective covering for the interface
> material and should be easily removed. I haven't seen any pink heat
> pads that I recall.

You haven't seen the infamous "bubblegum" thermal pads? :) The one that came
on one of my coolers was a square about 2cm by 2cm in the middle of the
heatsink, and quite thin. They're immune to methalated spirits (but not to
xylene, gneh heh heh), and if you try and scrape a bit off the corner of the
pad you'll find out why it's called bubblegum ...

--
Michael Brown

blackjack wrote:
> The core you are referring to is the surface the cpu nests with the
> heatsink. Is that correct? That is the pink surface I was talking
> about.

The pinky-grey thing sitting on the green or brown thing with all the pins?
:) Yes, that's the core (the main part of the CPU) and it's probably not a
good idea to remove it. Reminds me of a guy on OCForums who asked why the
protective cover on his CPU wasn't coming off (he attacked it with a plastic
knife, but fortunately asked before he tried anything more serious).

[...]

--
Michael Brown

So what is the diode then?

"VanShania" <VanShania@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> So what is the diode then?
>
> "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Errr...the thing in the middle of the CPU, about 8mm wide by 14mm long
> with
> > a shinny surface?...THAT IS THE CPU!!!...the surrounding green or brown
> bit
> > with the pins is just the 'circuit board' that the CPU is mounted on.
> > Removing the CPU would be detrimental to performance!
> >
> > --

The Thermal one?.. It's inside the chip

The thermal diode is part of the CPU core...along with 53 million
transistors ( they are VERY small !!! )

"VanShania" <VanShania@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> So what is the diode then?

Tim

> The thermal diode is part of the CPU core...along with 53 million
> transistors ( they are VERY small !!! )

I counted 'em once. You're right!

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:01:50 +0000, blackjack wrote:
>
> > Is the pink tape on the cpu mounting surface the thermal tape or a
> > protective tape that has to be removed? The instructions are not too
> > explicit. It appears that it should be removed, but I can't remove it.
>
> If you mean the actual cpu core, there is no tape on it. The pinkish color
> is the core color. Now if you mean on the base of the heatsink, I'd
> suspect it's just a protective covering for the interface material and
> should be easily removed. I haven't seen any pink heat pads that I recall.

The original thermal pad on my XP2000+ (T'bred B) was pink and was about as
easy to remove as chewing gum. Metho did not remove much but acetone nail
polish remover worked well.

The weirdest pads I saw were some sort of sticky stuff, almost like the glue
on duct tape, that had some kind of gauze layer in the centre of the stuff.
This stuff was so sticky that when I tried to remove the heatsink, the CPU
pulled out of the socket even though the locking lever was locked down on a
couple of them.

The CPUs were all pre-coppermine socket 370 celerons of 266 to 333MHz, maybe
a bit higher, and they had exactly the same heatsink and fan assembly.

Whatever that stuff was, it was not very good. I overclocked them to see if
they would work and after a while they would crash and then would work OK
after cooling off. Removing the pads and using silicone grease fixed the
problem.

Dave

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:09:00 GMT, "Dave" <dave@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:01:50 +0000, blackjack wrote:
>
>> > Is the pink tape on the cpu mounting surface the thermal tape or a
>> > protective tape that has to be removed? The instructions are not too
>> > explicit. It appears that it should be removed, but I can't remove it.

>> If you mean the actual cpu core, there is no tape on it. The pinkish color
>> is the core color. Now if you mean on the base of the heatsink, I'd
>> suspect it's just a protective covering for the interface material and
>> should be easily removed. I haven't seen any pink heat pads that I recall.

Phase change heat transfer pads. These are in the main 3.

Pink pad, chances are good this is a Chomerics T725 pad.
Black (1) Bergquist 225,
Black (2) Thermagon t-pcm905c
Black (3) Dow Corring

>The original thermal pad on my XP2000+ (T'bred B) was pink and was about as
>easy to remove as chewing gum. Metho did not remove much but acetone nail
>polish remover worked well.

>The weirdest pads I saw were some sort of sticky stuff, almost like the glue
>on duct tape, that had some kind of gauze layer in the centre of the stuff.
>This stuff was so sticky that when I tried to remove the heatsink, the CPU
>pulled out of the socket even though the locking lever was locked down on a
>couple of them.

>The CPUs were all pre-coppermine socket 370 celerons of 266 to 333MHz, maybe
>a bit higher, and they had exactly the same heatsink and fan assembly.

>Whatever that stuff was, it was not very good. I overclocked them to see if
>they would work and after a while they would crash and then would work OK
>after cooling off. Removing the pads and using silicone grease fixed the
>problem.

>Dave
BoroLad

TRENDING THREADS