Mobile 2500+ Defective?

I noticed my new Mobile 2500+ computer running slow, and it turns out that
the cpu speed is showing in Windows (and 3DMark) as 801Mhz. The FSB is set
at 166. I put the cpu in another machine, and it showed as 601Mhz, FSB as
100. So, evidently, this cpu is running a multiplier of 6.
Do we agree that the cpu is defective, or am I missing something big time?
Thank you,

jakesnake
5 answers Last reply
More about mobile 2500 defective

    umm,, this cpu is suppose to go in a note motherboard
    The desktop board sees it as an unknown processor.
    Its not defective
    You need to configure the bios is all.
    Mine shows a similar setting to you when i reset the bios.
    Presently running at 215 x 11
    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    I noticed my new Mobile 2500+ computer running slow, and it turns out that
    the cpu speed is showing in Windows (and 3DMark) as 801Mhz. The FSB is set
    at 166. I put the cpu in another machine, and it showed as 601Mhz, FSB as
    100. So, evidently, this cpu is running a multiplier of 6.
    Do we agree that the cpu is defective, or am I missing something big time?
    Thank you,

    jakesnake

    change multiplier in bios to 11...that would get u the right 1.8 GHz...there
    are no cpus at 166 mhz fsb with a multi at 6...unlikely its defective but
    hey anythings possible....just my 2 cents

    "Robert Jackson Marley" <xxrabramson1xx@xxsi.rr.comxx> wrote in message
    > change multiplier in bios to 11...that would get u the right 1.8
    GHz...there
    > are no cpus at 166 mhz fsb with a multi at 6...unlikely its defective but
    > hey anythings possible....just my 2 cents

    One might thing that he'll need to change it after bootup via software..
    As a last option.

    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > I noticed my new Mobile 2500+ computer running slow, and it turns out that
    > the cpu speed is showing in Windows (and 3DMark) as 801Mhz. The FSB is
    set
    > at 166. I put the cpu in another machine, and it showed as 601Mhz, FSB as
    > 100. So, evidently, this cpu is running a multiplier of 6.
    > Do we agree that the cpu is defective, or am I missing something big time?
    > Thank you,
    >
    > jakesnake

    No it's not defective. http://tinyurl.com/2atp5

    That is normal for a Mobile running on most desktop boards. Most desktop
    motherboards are not designed to work with mobiles and therefore read the
    multiplier incorrectly (defaulting to x6 for the XP2500+ Mobile).
    That's why a mobile will only work properly in a motherboard that supports
    multiplier changing...all you do is select the multiplier you want. That's
    also the advantage of mobiles...they are unlocked. If you buy one to use in
    a board that does not support multiplier changing your wasting your money
    anyway, you should have got a locked desktop cpu.

    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > I noticed my new Mobile 2500+ computer running slow, and it turns out that
    > the cpu speed is showing in Windows (and 3DMark) as 801Mhz. The FSB is
    set
    > at 166. I put the cpu in another machine, and it showed as 601Mhz, FSB as
    > 100. So, evidently, this cpu is running a multiplier of 6.
    > Do we agree that the cpu is defective, or am I missing something big time?
    > Thank you,
    >
    > jakesnake

AMD Mobile CPUs Overclocking