Mobile 2500+ Defective?

I noticed my new Mobile 2500+ computer running slow, and it turns out that
the cpu speed is showing in Windows (and 3DMark) as 801Mhz. The FSB is set
at 166. I put the cpu in another machine, and it showed as 601Mhz, FSB as
100. So, evidently, this cpu is running a multiplier of 6.
Do we agree that the cpu is defective, or am I missing something big time?
Thank you,

jakesnake

Andrew

umm,, this cpu is suppose to go in a note motherboard
The desktop board sees it as an unknown processor.
Its not defective
You need to configure the bios is all.
Mine shows a similar setting to you when i reset the bios.
Presently running at 215 x 11
"jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
I noticed my new Mobile 2500+ computer running slow, and it turns out that
the cpu speed is showing in Windows (and 3DMark) as 801Mhz. The FSB is set
at 166. I put the cpu in another machine, and it showed as 601Mhz, FSB as
100. So, evidently, this cpu is running a multiplier of 6.
Do we agree that the cpu is defective, or am I missing something big time?
Thank you,

jakesnake

change multiplier in bios to 11...that would get u the right 1.8 GHz...there
are no cpus at 166 mhz fsb with a multi at 6...unlikely its defective but
hey anythings possible....just my 2 cents

"Robert Jackson Marley" <xxrabramson1xx@xxsi.rr.comxx> wrote in message
> change multiplier in bios to 11...that would get u the right 1.8
GHz...there
> are no cpus at 166 mhz fsb with a multi at 6...unlikely its defective but
> hey anythings possible....just my 2 cents

One might thing that he'll need to change it after bootup via software..
As a last option.

"jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message
> I noticed my new Mobile 2500+ computer running slow, and it turns out that
> the cpu speed is showing in Windows (and 3DMark) as 801Mhz. The FSB is
set
> at 166. I put the cpu in another machine, and it showed as 601Mhz, FSB as
> 100. So, evidently, this cpu is running a multiplier of 6.
> Do we agree that the cpu is defective, or am I missing something big time?
> Thank you,
>
> jakesnake

No it's not defective. http://tinyurl.com/2atp5

That is normal for a Mobile running on most desktop boards. Most desktop
motherboards are not designed to work with mobiles and therefore read the
multiplier incorrectly (defaulting to x6 for the XP2500+ Mobile).
That's why a mobile will only work properly in a motherboard that supports
multiplier changing...all you do is select the multiplier you want. That's
also the advantage of mobiles...they are unlocked. If you buy one to use in
a board that does not support multiplier changing your wasting your money
anyway, you should have got a locked desktop cpu.