Disk Warning for degrading reliability....

I started up my computer today and a Windows warning popped up.... Disk
Warning - Disk reliability degrading, risk of data loss !!! Disk location:
controller 0, channel 0, Master Please backup data as soon as possible.

What should I do? Should I remove the drive and send it in for service.
The rive is less than six months old and I know it is under warranty. And
suggestions would be great.
5 answers Last reply
More about disk warning degrading reliability

    Matthew wrote:

    > I started up my computer today and a Windows warning popped up....
    > Disk
    > Warning - Disk reliability degrading, risk of data loss !!! Disk
    > location:
    > controller 0, channel 0, Master Please backup data as soon as
    > possible.
    >
    > What should I do? Should I remove the drive and send it in for
    > service.
    > The rive is less than six months old and I know it is under warranty.
    > And suggestions would be great.

    Download a hard drive diagnostic utility from the drive mftr.'s website.
    Usually you will create a bootable floppy or cd with the file you
    download. Obviously you need to get this from a working pc.

    Boot with whatever media you created and do a thorough test. If there
    are any hardware failures, replace the drive. The age of the drive is
    irrelevant; in fact, if hardware is going to fail it will usually do so
    fairly soon or go for years.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Your drive is going bad or has gone bad. The first thing you do is try to
    backup all of your important data to CD's or where ever.

    Then run the drive manufacturers test utility on the drive in question. Be
    prepared to replace the drive - NOW!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Matthew" <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I started up my computer today and a Windows warning popped up.... Disk
    > Warning - Disk reliability degrading, risk of data loss !!! Disk
    > location:
    > controller 0, channel 0, Master Please backup data as soon as possible.
    >
    > What should I do? Should I remove the drive and send it in for service.
    > The rive is less than six months old and I know it is under warranty. And
    > suggestions would be great.

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:05:02 -0700, "Matthew"
    <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I started up my computer today and a Windows warning popped up.... Disk
    >Warning - Disk reliability degrading, risk of data loss !!! Disk location:
    >controller 0, channel 0, Master Please backup data as soon as possible.
    >
    >What should I do? Should I remove the drive and send it in for service.
    >The rive is less than six months old and I know it is under warranty. And
    >suggestions would be great.

    Is your data backed up? If not, do that first.

    Second, go to the drive maker's website and get their diagnostic software.
    Use that to see what it says about the drive. You might want to check the
    S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive another way just to be sure - you can use
    Everest (under the storage options) for that - www.lavalys.com.

    Third, if the diagnostic reports the drive is failing, contact either your
    computer maker or the drive maker and see what the procedures are for
    returning the drive for warranty replacement. If the drive is still
    mostly functional, you might want to use the wiping or zeroing function of
    the diagnostic software but only after making your backups.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Is this TRULY an XP message?

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Your drive is going bad or has gone bad. The first thing you do is try to
    > backup all of your important data to CD's or where ever.
    >
    > Then run the drive manufacturers test utility on the drive in question. Be
    > prepared to replace the drive - NOW!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "Matthew" <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I started up my computer today and a Windows warning popped up.... Disk
    >> Warning - Disk reliability degrading, risk of data loss !!! Disk
    >> location:
    >> controller 0, channel 0, Master Please backup data as soon as possible.
    >>
    >> What should I do? Should I remove the drive and send it in for service.
    >> The rive is less than six months old and I know it is under warranty.
    >> And
    >> suggestions would be great.

    It may be coming the disk S.M.A.R.T. monitor.

    "andre" <andre@not-here.com> wrote in message
    > Is this TRULY an XP message?
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:%237Nb$%23%23kFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> Your drive is going bad or has gone bad. The first thing you do is try to
    >> backup all of your important data to CD's or where ever.
    >>
    >> Then run the drive manufacturers test utility on the drive in question.
    >> Be prepared to replace the drive - NOW!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Matthew" <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I started up my computer today and a Windows warning popped up.... Disk
    >>> Warning - Disk reliability degrading, risk of data loss !!! Disk
    >>> location:
    >>> controller 0, channel 0, Master Please backup data as soon as possible.
    >>>
    >>> What should I do? Should I remove the drive and send it in for service.
    >>> The rive is less than six months old and I know it is under warranty.
    >>> And
    >>> suggestions would be great.

Windows XP