How far can I overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2004 12:59:08 AM

How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with the
retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I have it
OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped, and that
doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what I'm seeing.

More about : overclock

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2004 4:31:18 PM

"Travis King" <anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with the
> retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I have it
> OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped, and that
> doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what I'm seeing.

If you've got the memory for it, and the board, you could probably push it
to 333FSB on the original multiplier. I've got a shuttle with XP2000+ at
266FSB and DDR333 RAM. Changed the FSB to 333, and the temperature went from
38C to about 48C I think. That's fine for me - the fan just steps up a notch
when it hits 48C. Kind of dependent on your heatsink and fan really. But
potentially you could then up the multiplier from there?

Hope this helps
Nick
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2004 4:44:09 PM

I have PC-3000 RAM and an Asus A7V333 motherboard with the most up-to-date
BIOS without using a beta version. In the BIOS list, the FSB is set to 133
(or actually 266MHz) but the list goes up to 200 (or actually 400MHz) Is
there quite a performance difference with it set to a 333MHz FSB? I think I
might bring up the FSB some, but mine runs somewhat hot, so I don't think I
want to up it to the 333MHz FSB, but I might up it some. Maybe to 300MHz or
280MHz.
"Nick Drew" <spam@nickdrew.com> wrote in message

> "Travis King" <anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> > How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with the
> > retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I have
it
> > OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped, and that
> > doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what I'm seeing.
>
> If you've got the memory for it, and the board, you could probably push it
> to 333FSB on the original multiplier. I've got a shuttle with XP2000+ at
> 266FSB and DDR333 RAM. Changed the FSB to 333, and the temperature went
from
> 38C to about 48C I think. That's fine for me - the fan just steps up a
notch
> when it hits 48C. Kind of dependent on your heatsink and fan really. But
> potentially you could then up the multiplier from there?
>
> Hope this helps
> Nick

a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2004 5:59:43 PM

> I have PC-3000 RAM and an Asus A7V333 motherboard with the most up-to-date
> BIOS without using a beta version. In the BIOS list, the FSB is set to
133
> (or actually 266MHz) but the list goes up to 200 (or actually 400MHz) Is
> there quite a performance difference with it set to a 333MHz FSB? I think
> might bring up the FSB some, but mine runs somewhat hot, so I don't think
> want to up it to the 333MHz FSB, but I might up it some. Maybe to 300MHz
or
> 280MHz.

Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant - what's PC3000 RAM rated to? I reckon (but I'm
not sure) your best bet is to get the FSB to a speed where the RAM can run
synchronously. So 333 was great for me, as I could run the RAM at that
speed. I think I've got a good chip though - temperature stays low even at
that speed except when it's really working (games etc).

Hope that'll help
Nick
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2004 5:59:44 PM

PC-3000 is rated to a 366MHz FSB, which I don't think any 366MHz FSB CPU's
exist, but I don't know for sure. My computer won't boot any FSB past
280MHz. I put it at 141 (or 282MHz) and it wouldn't start. I've got it at
139 (278MHz) and the multiplier at 16 now. This gets 2.22GHz. I upped the
voltage to 1.7. We'll see how this goes and make sure there are no
restarts. I'm leaving this weekend, actually, in about an hour.

> "Travis King" <anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> > I have PC-3000 RAM and an Asus A7V333 motherboard with the most
up-to-date
> > BIOS without using a beta version. In the BIOS list, the FSB is set to
> 133
> > (or actually 266MHz) but the list goes up to 200 (or actually 400MHz)
Is
> > there quite a performance difference with it set to a 333MHz FSB? I
think
> > might bring up the FSB some, but mine runs somewhat hot, so I don't
think
> > want to up it to the 333MHz FSB, but I might up it some. Maybe to
300MHz
> or
> > 280MHz.
>
> Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant - what's PC3000 RAM rated to? I reckon (but I'm
> not sure) your best bet is to get the FSB to a speed where the RAM can run
> synchronously. So 333 was great for me, as I could run the RAM at that
> speed. I think I've got a good chip though - temperature stays low even at
> that speed except when it's really working (games etc).
>
> Hope that'll help
> Nick

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 29, 2004 1:13:42 AM

I wish I could up mine to 333FSB too, but my CPU already runs at 60C most of
the time, and I don't need to much more heat...
> PC-3000 is rated to a 366MHz FSB, which I don't think any 366MHz FSB CPU's
> exist, but I don't know for sure. My computer won't boot any FSB past
> 280MHz. I put it at 141 (or 282MHz) and it wouldn't start. I've got it
at
> 139 (278MHz) and the multiplier at 16 now. This gets 2.22GHz. I upped
the
> voltage to 1.7. We'll see how this goes and make sure there are no
> restarts. I'm leaving this weekend, actually, in about an hour.
> "Nick Drew" <spam@nickdrew.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Travis King" <anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> > > I have PC-3000 RAM and an Asus A7V333 motherboard with the most
> up-to-date
> > > BIOS without using a beta version. In the BIOS list, the FSB is set
> > 133
> > > (or actually 266MHz) but the list goes up to 200 (or actually 400MHz)
> Is
> > > there quite a performance difference with it set to a 333MHz FSB? I
> think
> > > might bring up the FSB some, but mine runs somewhat hot, so I don't
> think
> > > want to up it to the 333MHz FSB, but I might up it some. Maybe to
> 300MHz
> > or
> > > 280MHz.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant - what's PC3000 RAM rated to? I reckon (but
I'm
> > not sure) your best bet is to get the FSB to a speed where the RAM can
run
> > synchronously. So 333 was great for me, as I could run the RAM at that
> > speed. I think I've got a good chip though - temperature stays low even
at
> > that speed except when it's really working (games etc).
> >
> > Hope that'll help
> > Nick

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2004 10:51:55 PM

Travis King time 18:50 30,06,2004 wrote:
> How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with
> the retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I
> have it OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped,
> and that doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what
> I'm seeing.

To 2200 133*16.5

Good lock

--
[ kamilo23 | Epox 8rda+ nforce 2 spp + AMD ATHLON 2000xp+ 256/333mbram ]
[ CTX 700F + GF FX 5200 128MB 128 bit & Zasilacz Codegen 300Wat]

That's what I used to have it on all the time, but I needed more, especially
since bringing up the multiplier doesn't make a drastic difference. I got
the FSB to 138. At 139, the computer will restart. I wouldn't like to push
the VCORE any more than I have to. I left the multiplier on 16.5.
"Piotr Kroñ" <NUTRIS@[wp].PL> wrote in message
> Travis King time 18:50 30,06,2004 wrote:
> > How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with
> > the retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I
> > have it OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped,
> > and that doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what
> > I'm seeing.
>
> To 2200 133*16.5
>
> Good lock
>
> --
> [ kamilo23 | Epox 8rda+ nforce 2 spp + AMD ATHLON 2000xp+ 256/333mbram ]
> [ CTX 700F + GF FX 5200 128MB 128 bit & Zasilacz Codegen 300Wat]
> [ CD-RW LG HL-DT-ST GCE 8481B 48/24/48X CD-ROM LG CRD 8521B 52X]
> [ Seagate ST340823A 40GB|Skaner Be@Paw 2400 TA plus gg 4076540]
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2004 4:15:00 PM

Max Vacore is 1.95 V

--
[ kamilo23 | Epox 8rda+ nforce 2 spp + AMD ATHLON 2000xp+ 256/333mbram ]
[ CTX 700F + GF FX 5200 128MB 128 bit & Zasilacz Codegen 300Wat]
[ CD-RW LG HL-DT-ST GCE 8481B 48/24/48X CD-ROM LG CRD 8521B 52X]
[ Seagate ST340823A 40GB|Skaner Be@Paw 2400 TA plus gg 4076540]
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2004 2:28:39 AM

On my motherboard, the highest it shows is 1.85, and I was told that you
really don't want to go any higher than 1.75. My CPU temperatures are
fairly hot, so I don't want to do lots of overclocking.

!