How far can I overclock?

How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with the
retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I have it
OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped, and that
doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what I'm seeing.
9 answers Last reply
More about overclock

    "Travis King" <anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
    > How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with the
    > retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I have it
    > OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped, and that
    > doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what I'm seeing.

    If you've got the memory for it, and the board, you could probably push it
    to 333FSB on the original multiplier. I've got a shuttle with XP2000+ at
    266FSB and DDR333 RAM. Changed the FSB to 333, and the temperature went from
    38C to about 48C I think. That's fine for me - the fan just steps up a notch
    when it hits 48C. Kind of dependent on your heatsink and fan really. But
    potentially you could then up the multiplier from there?

    Hope this helps
    Nick

    I have PC-3000 RAM and an Asus A7V333 motherboard with the most up-to-date
    BIOS without using a beta version. In the BIOS list, the FSB is set to 133
    (or actually 266MHz) but the list goes up to 200 (or actually 400MHz) Is
    there quite a performance difference with it set to a 333MHz FSB? I think I
    might bring up the FSB some, but mine runs somewhat hot, so I don't think I
    want to up it to the 333MHz FSB, but I might up it some. Maybe to 300MHz or
    280MHz.

    > I have PC-3000 RAM and an Asus A7V333 motherboard with the most up-to-date
    > BIOS without using a beta version. In the BIOS list, the FSB is set to
    133
    > (or actually 266MHz) but the list goes up to 200 (or actually 400MHz) Is
    > there quite a performance difference with it set to a 333MHz FSB? I think
    > might bring up the FSB some, but mine runs somewhat hot, so I don't think
    > want to up it to the 333MHz FSB, but I might up it some. Maybe to 300MHz
    or
    > 280MHz.

    Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant - what's PC3000 RAM rated to? I reckon (but I'm
    not sure) your best bet is to get the FSB to a speed where the RAM can run
    synchronously. So 333 was great for me, as I could run the RAM at that
    speed. I think I've got a good chip though - temperature stays low even at
    that speed except when it's really working (games etc).

    Hope that'll help
    Nick

    PC-3000 is rated to a 366MHz FSB, which I don't think any 366MHz FSB CPU's
    exist, but I don't know for sure. My computer won't boot any FSB past
    280MHz. I put it at 141 (or 282MHz) and it wouldn't start. I've got it at
    139 (278MHz) and the multiplier at 16 now. This gets 2.22GHz. I upped the
    voltage to 1.7. We'll see how this goes and make sure there are no
    restarts. I'm leaving this weekend, actually, in about an hour.

    > "Travis King" <anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
    > > I have PC-3000 RAM and an Asus A7V333 motherboard with the most
    up-to-date
    > > BIOS without using a beta version. In the BIOS list, the FSB is set to
    > 133
    > > (or actually 266MHz) but the list goes up to 200 (or actually 400MHz)
    Is
    > > there quite a performance difference with it set to a 333MHz FSB? I
    think
    > > might bring up the FSB some, but mine runs somewhat hot, so I don't
    think
    > > want to up it to the 333MHz FSB, but I might up it some. Maybe to
    300MHz
    > or
    > > 280MHz.
    >
    > Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant - what's PC3000 RAM rated to? I reckon (but I'm
    > not sure) your best bet is to get the FSB to a speed where the RAM can run
    > synchronously. So 333 was great for me, as I could run the RAM at that
    > speed. I think I've got a good chip though - temperature stays low even at
    > that speed except when it's really working (games etc).
    >
    > Hope that'll help
    > Nick

    I wish I could up mine to 333FSB too, but my CPU already runs at 60C most of
    the time, and I don't need to much more heat...

    Travis King time 18:50 30,06,2004 wrote:
    > How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with
    > the retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I
    > have it OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped,
    > and that doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what
    > I'm seeing.

    To 2200 133*16.5

    Good lock

    --
    [ kamilo23 | Epox 8rda+ nforce 2 spp + AMD ATHLON 2000xp+ 256/333mbram ]
    [ CTX 700F + GF FX 5200 128MB 128 bit & Zasilacz Codegen 300Wat]

    That's what I used to have it on all the time, but I needed more, especially
    since bringing up the multiplier doesn't make a drastic difference. I got
    the FSB to 138. At 139, the computer will restart. I wouldn't like to push
    the VCORE any more than I have to. I left the multiplier on 16.5.
    "Piotr Kroñ" <NUTRIS@[wp].PL> wrote in message
    > Travis King time 18:50 30,06,2004 wrote:
    > > How much can I overclock my Athlon XP 2400+ 2GHz 266MHz FSB CPU with
    > > the retail heatsink and without making a big jump in temperatures? I
    > > have it OC'd to 2.2GHz now, but it's on the multiplier that I upped,
    > > and that doesn't make much of a difference in performance from what
    > > I'm seeing.
    >
    > To 2200 133*16.5
    >
    > Good lock
    >
    > --
    > [ kamilo23 | Epox 8rda+ nforce 2 spp + AMD ATHLON 2000xp+ 256/333mbram ]
    > [ CTX 700F + GF FX 5200 128MB 128 bit & Zasilacz Codegen 300Wat]
    > [ CD-RW LG HL-DT-ST GCE 8481B 48/24/48X CD-ROM LG CRD 8521B 52X]
    > [ Seagate ST340823A 40GB|Skaner Be@Paw 2400 TA plus gg 4076540]
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Max Vacore is 1.95 V

    --
    [ kamilo23 | Epox 8rda+ nforce 2 spp + AMD ATHLON 2000xp+ 256/333mbram ]
    [ CTX 700F + GF FX 5200 128MB 128 bit & Zasilacz Codegen 300Wat]
    [ CD-RW LG HL-DT-ST GCE 8481B 48/24/48X CD-ROM LG CRD 8521B 52X]
    [ Seagate ST340823A 40GB|Skaner Be@Paw 2400 TA plus gg 4076540]
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On my motherboard, the highest it shows is 1.85, and I was told that you
    really don't want to go any higher than 1.75. My CPU temperatures are
    fairly hot, so I don't want to do lots of overclocking.
    > Max Vacore is 1.95 V
    >
    > --
    > [ kamilo23 | Epox 8rda+ nforce 2 spp + AMD ATHLON 2000xp+ 256/333mbram ]
    > [ CTX 700F + GF FX 5200 128MB 128 bit & Zasilacz Codegen 300Wat]
    > [ CD-RW LG HL-DT-ST GCE 8481B 48/24/48X CD-ROM LG CRD 8521B 52X]
    > [ Seagate ST340823A 40GB|Skaner Be@Paw 2400 TA plus gg 4076540]

AMD Overclocking Hardware Windows XP