CD-RW Drive asks for blank cd when blank cd is already there

Tags:
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
July 29, 2005 5:39:03 PM

tried to back up("burn") some files onto a cd but it is not recognizing when
I put a blank cd in the drive. Also, in properties it shows that the drive
is full...this is with the blank cd! Hope someone can help! Also, same kind
of problem with 3.5 floppy.

More about : drive asks blank blank

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:50:31 AM

You have to install a burning software package such as Nero or Roxio Easy
Media Creator.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Lisa B" <Lisa B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> tried to back up("burn") some files onto a cd but it is not recognizing
> when
> I put a blank cd in the drive. Also, in properties it shows that the
> drive
> is full...this is with the blank cd! Hope someone can help! Also, same
> kind
> of problem with 3.5 floppy.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 11:16:46 PM

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:50:31 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You have to install a burning software package such as Nero or Roxio Easy
>Media Creator.

Wrong.

XP can write files, by session, onto a CDRW with no problems.
July 31, 2005 12:17:47 AM

No, YOU are wrong!

It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
always show up as having no CD inserted.

In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps she
is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.

After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive and
browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD is
present and that the CD has not yet been written to.

--

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:50:31 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>You have to install a burning software package such as Nero or Roxio Easy
>>Media Creator.
>
> Wrong.
>
> XP can write files, by session, onto a CDRW with no problems.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:05:41 AM

No, I'm not wrong. XP can write files just fine to a CDRW, without
third party software.

I do agree, thought, that without third party software, you can't use
the CDRW like a big floppy drive. You are 100% correct there.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:17:47 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No, YOU are wrong!
>
>It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
>explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
>always show up as having no CD inserted.
>
>In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps she
>is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
>Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.
>
>After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive and
>browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD is
>present and that the CD has not yet been written to.
>

>--
>Regards,
>
>Richard Urban
>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
>Quote from: George Ankner
>"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>
>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:50:31 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
>> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>You have to install a burning software package such as Nero or Roxio Easy
>>>Media Creator.
>>
>> Wrong.
>>
>> XP can write files, by session, onto a CDRW with no problems.

August 1, 2005 12:06:33 AM

/Richard Urban [MVP]/ said:
> No, YOU are wrong!
>
> It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
> explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
> always show up as having no CD inserted.
>
> In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps she
> is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
> Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.
>
> After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive and
> browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD is
> present and that the CD has not yet been written to.

Humm, seems to be a difference in observations...

Tested here, with a blank (non-formatted Fujufilm CD/RW).
Recording was enabled, under PROPERTIES|RECORDING tab for the drive.

Explorer recognized the disk in drive H.
I right-clicked/dragged a file to it, and the prompt that "files were
waiting to be recorded" appeared.

Clicked on the bubble, and directed it to write the file.
Success was confirmed by reading the file after ejecting/reloaded the drive.

Of course, a file cannot be deleted individually, using this manner of
writing.
However, a file by the same name can be overwritten, according to the
prompt and my test.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

That is exactly Lisa's problem, isn't it. When she puts a CD-RW disk in the
drive, explorer does not recognize it is there (absolutely normal without a
CD-RW formatted for packet writing). She IS expecting to use it like another
hard drive and is disappointed that she can't do so.

So, lets call it a draw on this one. Just explain to her how to use the
CD-RW disk without packet writing. I have never done so and I feel you can
do a better job of it.

--

> No, I'm not wrong. XP can write files just fine to a CDRW, without
> third party software.
>
> I do agree, thought, that without third party software, you can't use
> the CDRW like a big floppy drive. You are 100% correct there.
>
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:17:47 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>No, YOU are wrong!
>>
>>It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
>>explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
>>always show up as having no CD inserted.
>>
>>In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps
>>she
>>is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
>>Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.
>>
>>After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive
>>and
>>browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD
>>is
>>present and that the CD has not yet been written to.
>>

>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Richard Urban
>>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>>Quote from: George Ankner
>>"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

>>> Wrong.
>>>
>>> XP can write files, by session, onto a CDRW with no problems.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:11:13 AM

Nothing?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> No, I'm not wrong. XP can write files just fine to a CDRW, without
> third party software.
>
> I do agree, thought, that without third party software, you can't use
> the CDRW like a big floppy drive. You are 100% correct there.
>
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:17:47 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>No, YOU are wrong!
>>
>>It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
>>explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
>>always show up as having no CD inserted.
>>
>>In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps
>>she
>>is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
>>Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.
>>
>>After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive
>>and
>>browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD
>>is
>>present and that the CD has not yet been written to.
>>

>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Richard Urban
>>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>>Quote from: George Ankner
>>"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

>>> Wrong.
>>>
>>> XP can write files, by session, onto a CDRW with no problems.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:53:31 AM

Hmm! That is strange. I just put a new - blank CD-RW disk in my drive. I
went to explorer and clicked on the drive. A warning popped up that said
there is no disk in drive, do you want to use another drive! I wonder if
this could be a result of having Roxio's Easy Media Creator installed?

I am going to restore an image I have from before Roxio was installed (as I
was building my system). I will try it then to see what happens.

--

"dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
> /Richard Urban [MVP]/ said:
>> No, YOU are wrong!
>>
>> It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
>> explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
>> always show up as having no CD inserted.
>>
>> In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps
>> she
>> is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
>> Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.
>>
>> After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive
>> and
>> browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD
>> is
>> present and that the CD has not yet been written to.
>
> Humm, seems to be a difference in observations...
>
> Tested here, with a blank (non-formatted Fujufilm CD/RW).
> Recording was enabled, under PROPERTIES|RECORDING tab for the drive.
>
> Explorer recognized the disk in drive H.
> I right-clicked/dragged a file to it, and the prompt that "files were
> waiting to be recorded" appeared.
>
> Clicked on the bubble, and directed it to write the file.
> Success was confirmed by reading the file after ejecting/reloaded the
> drive.
>
> Of course, a file cannot be deleted individually, using this manner of
> writing.
> However, a file by the same name can be overwritten, according to the
> prompt and my test.
>
> --
> For most XP answers and tweaks...
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
> http://support.microsoft.com
August 1, 2005 11:04:33 AM

/Richard Urban [MVP]/ said:

>hb said:

> Humm, seems to be a difference in observations...
>
> Tested here, with a blank (non-formatted Fujufilm CD/RW).
> Recording was enabled, under PROPERTIES|RECORDING tab for the drive.
>
> Explorer recognized the disk in drive H.
> I right-clicked/dragged a file to it, and the prompt that "files were
> waiting to be recorded" appeared.
>
> Clicked on the bubble, and directed it to write the file.
> Success was confirmed by reading the file after ejecting/reloaded the
> drive.
>
> Of course, a file cannot be deleted individually, using this manner of
> writing. However, a file by the same name can be overwritten, according
> to the prompt and my test.

> Hmm! That is strange. I just put a new - blank CD-RW disk in my drive. I
> went to explorer and clicked on the drive. A warning popped up that said
> there is no disk in drive, do you want to use another drive! I wonder if
> this could be a result of having Roxio's Easy Media Creator installed?
>
> I am going to restore an image I have from before Roxio was installed (as I
> was building my system). I will try it then to see what happens.

Sounds reasonable. I have NTI's DVD-Maker GOLD on this box, and it does
not seem to conflict with native XP burning features, as some programs
apparently do.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
http://support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:11:40 PM

Look at using Drag to CD, if you already have Roxio Easy Media Creator
installed.

> /Richard Urban [MVP]/ said:
>
>>hb said:
>
>> Humm, seems to be a difference in observations...
>>
>> Tested here, with a blank (non-formatted Fujufilm CD/RW).
>> Recording was enabled, under PROPERTIES|RECORDING tab for the drive.
>>
>> Explorer recognized the disk in drive H.
>> I right-clicked/dragged a file to it, and the prompt that "files were
>> waiting to be recorded" appeared.
>>
>> Clicked on the bubble, and directed it to write the file.
>> Success was confirmed by reading the file after ejecting/reloaded the
>> drive.
>>
>> Of course, a file cannot be deleted individually, using this manner of
>> writing. However, a file by the same name can be overwritten, according
>> to the prompt and my test.
>
>> Hmm! That is strange. I just put a new - blank CD-RW disk in my drive. I
>> went to explorer and clicked on the drive. A warning popped up that said
>> there is no disk in drive, do you want to use another drive! I wonder if
>> this could be a result of having Roxio's Easy Media Creator installed?
>>
>> I am going to restore an image I have from before Roxio was installed (as
>> was building my system). I will try it then to see what happens.
>
> Sounds reasonable. I have NTI's DVD-Maker GOLD on this box, and it does
> not seem to conflict with native XP burning features, as some programs
> apparently do.
>
> --
> For most XP answers and tweaks...
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
> http://support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:46:12 AM

This is happening when I am in the Roxio program. Click on "burn" and it
says to insert cd into drive...there is a blank cd in the drive! Now as far
as formatting the cd itself I have not done. I do not know how to format a
cd.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> No, YOU are wrong!
>
> It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
> explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
> always show up as having no CD inserted.
>
> In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps she
> is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
> Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.
>
> After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive and
> browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD is
> present and that the CD has not yet been written to.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:50:31 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
> > <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>You have to install a burning software package such as Nero or Roxio Easy
> >>Media Creator.
> >
> > Wrong.
> >
> > XP can write files, by session, onto a CDRW with no problems.

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:18:27 AM

Thank you for getting back to us.

You are using Roxio CD-DVD Creator or Roxio Easy Media Creator? Please let
me know. I am familiar with, and have used every version from 4.0 and up.
Yes, to use a CD-RW the way you are trying to you have to format the CD
first. Then you can use it as another hard drive and just save or copy to is
as you would a normal drive. Other programs will also be able to save and
copy to it.

Please let me know which version you are using and whether you have
installed the "Drag-to-Disk component? You need this installed.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

> This is happening when I am in the Roxio program. Click on "burn" and it
> says to insert cd into drive...there is a blank cd in the drive! Now as
> far
> as formatting the cd itself I have not done. I do not know how to format
> cd.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> No, YOU are wrong!
>>
>> It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
>> explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
>> always show up as having no CD inserted.
>>
>> In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps
>> she
>> is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
>> Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.
>>
>> After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive
>> and
>> browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD
>> is
>> present and that the CD has not yet been written to.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

>> > Wrong.
>> >
>> > XP can write files, by session, onto a CDRW with no problems.

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 8:42:01 AM

Richard,

I have the same problem with Lisa B. We installed a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD
Rewritable Drive. When I put a blank disk in the drive and click on the drive
Icon it says" E:\ not accessible Incorrect function. the property shows
nothing in the drive. I tried to format the disk..but if the computer doesn't
even recognize there is a disk in the drive how the hell would be possible to
format something doesn't "exist"?

We've been working on this thing all weekend..frustrating..I feel you know
the answer...Please help ...

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Thank you for getting back to us.
>
> You are using Roxio CD-DVD Creator or Roxio Easy Media Creator? Please let
> me know. I am familiar with, and have used every version from 4.0 and up.
> Yes, to use a CD-RW the way you are trying to you have to format the CD
> first. Then you can use it as another hard drive and just save or copy to is
> as you would a normal drive. Other programs will also be able to save and
> copy to it.
>
> Please let me know which version you are using and whether you have
> installed the "Drag-to-Disk component? You need this installed.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
>
> "Lisa B" <LisaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is happening when I am in the Roxio program. Click on "burn" and it
> > says to insert cd into drive...there is a blank cd in the drive! Now as
> > far
> > as formatting the cd itself I have not done. I do not know how to format
> > cd.
> >
> > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> No, YOU are wrong!
> >>
> >> It is obvious that Lisa B is putting the CD into the drive and then using
> >> explorer to try to go to that drive. That can't be done. The drive will
> >> always show up as having no CD inserted.
> >>
> >> In order for Lisa B to be able to do what she wants, in the exact steps
> >> she
> >> is doing it, she will have to install a burning software package (Nero or
> >> Roxio) and then format a blank CD for packet writing.
> >>
> >> After she does this she can insert the formatted "blank" CD in the drive
> >> and
> >> browse to the drive using Explorer. The drive will now indicate that a CD
> >> is
> >> present and that the CD has not yet been written to.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Quote from: George Ankner
> >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >>
> >> "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 6:42:51 PM

"Helplessme" wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I have the same problem with Lisa B. We installed a Sony DRU-800A DVD/CD
> Rewritable Drive. When I put a blank disk in the drive and click on the drive
> Icon it says" E:\ not accessible Incorrect function. the property shows
> nothing in the drive. I tried to format the disk..but if the computer doesn't
> even recognize there is a disk in the drive how the hell would be possible to
> format something doesn't "exist"?
>
> We've been working on this thing all weekend..frustrating..I feel you know
> the answer...Please help ...
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Thank you for getting back to us.
> >
> > You are using Roxio CD-DVD Creator or Roxio Easy Media Creator? Please let
> > me know. I am familiar with, and have used every version from 4.0 and up.
> > Yes, to use a CD-RW the way you are trying to you have to format the CD
> > first. Then you can use it as another hard drive and just save or copy to is
> > as you would a normal drive. Other programs will also be able to save and
> > copy to it.
> >
> > Please let me know which version you are using and whether you have
> > installed the "Drag-to-Disk component? You need this installed.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Quote from: George Ankner
> > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >
> > "Lisa B" <LisaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > This is happening when I am in the Roxio program. Click on "burn" and it
> > > says to insert cd into drive...there is a blank cd in the drive! Now as
> > > far
> > > as formatting the cd itself I have not done. I do not know how to format
> > > cd.

> > Same thing here, my e drive is not reading my blanks tried to format it from the drag to disc not reading it also saying there's not disk. im using roxio creator classic version 6.0.1.5
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:03:03 PM

elvia
!