Quote:
...three LGA 1155 motherboards...

Quote:
...the X79 Extreme 11...

C'mon guys...
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 1:44:54 PM

isnt 16x quadfire or quad sli going to be bottlenecked by the sandy-bridge e chips?
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 1:51:03 PM

boiler1990 said:
Quote:
...three LGA 1155 motherboards...

Quote:
...the X79 Extreme 11...

C'mon guys...

My English not good enough. I may make grammatical mistake so I am not fixing it.
Score
June 13, 2012 1:57:46 PM

The x79 extreme 11 seems a bit extreme and maybe aimed at the inexperienced who actually thinks they are going to fit 7 graphics cards or teslas on this board. If the board had a larger footprint, or if all the graphics cards were water-cooled and the card + water cooler take only one slot each, maybe, but could you even get a power supply that would supply enough power for 7 high-end GPUs?
Score
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 2:09:30 PM

Actually, the x79 isn't designed for seven cards. Given that high end graphics use two slots (or even three in some cases) you are only going to fit a maximum of seven cards in there. The other slots are there for other PCIe devices.
Score
June 13, 2012 2:12:24 PM

wiyosayaThe x79 extreme 11 seems a bit extreme and maybe aimed at the inexperienced who actually thinks they are going to fit 7 graphics cards or teslas on this board.

I may be wrong, but I only count 4 PCIe-3.0 x16 slots and it specifically states 4-way SLI on the board, not 7.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 2:13:18 PM

Well, you can get 7 single slot 7850. But of course it will be difficult to power them all. They will not all crossfire. It will also be an inferno in the case.
Score
June 13, 2012 3:15:03 PM

eddieroolzI may be wrong, but I only count 4 PCIe-3.0 x16 slots and it specifically states 4-way SLI on the board, not 7.

The fact it supports 4-way SLI has no relation to the number of slots. Most probably it does x16 if up to 3 add-in cards are detected and x8 if 4 or more. As evil as marketing goes a pair of "open" x1 slots also allow quad CF and quad SLI.
Score
June 13, 2012 3:20:42 PM

wiyosayaThe x79 extreme 11 seems a bit extreme and maybe aimed at the inexperienced who actually thinks they are going to fit 7 graphics cards or teslas on this board. If the board had a larger footprint, or if all the graphics cards were water-cooled and the card + water cooler take only one slot each, maybe, but could you even get a power supply that would supply enough power for 7 high-end GPUs?

The article states that it only supports 4-way SLI/Crossfire. However, with this board and liquid cooling you could have the 4-way SLI, uber fast PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot SSD, 10gb Ethernet and heavy duty fiber channel RAID card with external 24 disc RAID 60 array.
Score
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 4:16:46 PM

Stupid nerds
Score
June 13, 2012 4:47:15 PM

i wouldnt mind having one of these
Score
June 13, 2012 4:56:16 PM

I'm confused, I thought ASRock was Asus' budget motherboard brand. Wouldn't these enthusiast boards note only contradict the reason ASRock was created but also possibly cannibalize Asus mainstream/enthusiast motherboard sales?
Score
June 13, 2012 5:05:19 PM

^ yea good point
Score
June 13, 2012 5:11:33 PM

aponeI'm confused, I thought ASRock was Asus' budget motherboard brand. Wouldn't these enthusiast boards note only contradict the reason ASRock was created but also possibly cannibalize Asus mainstream/enthusiast motherboard sales?

It was their budget brand. Now they are an independent company. They seem to be selling both budget and enthusiast boards. Their focus is mostly on OC and pcie lanes while Asus usually goes for tons of features.
Score
June 13, 2012 5:14:21 PM

wiyosayaThe x79 extreme 11 seems a bit extreme and maybe aimed at the inexperienced who actually thinks they are going to fit 7 graphics cards or teslas on this board. If the board had a larger footprint, or if all the graphics cards were water-cooled and the card + water cooler take only one slot each, maybe, but could you even get a power supply that would supply enough power for 7 high-end GPUs?

You can't do more than 4 way sli/cf period. Nvidia and AMD do not support it. That said, you could have more than 4 gpus, just not in sli/cf. It could be useful in a gpu compute scenario though.
Score
June 13, 2012 6:05:13 PM

Quote:
Broadcom Dual Gigabit Ethernet (with Teaming)

I'm not familiar with Teaming, could someone explain?
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 6:32:10 PM

Dual PLX chips for x16/x16/x16/x16 CF/SLI... That's crazy. You probably wouldn't even need a CF bridge at that point because there'd be so much bandwidth in the PCIe for CF. This board could be used for a ridiculously extreme gaming computer, or a still very extreme compute/bit-mining machine. You'd need two monster power supplies, but 7 water cooled 7970s is a lot of performance for either scenario. Of course, there's so much more that could be done with it... For example, you could fit 6 12TB/16TB OCZ/Marvell PCIe 3.0 SSDs in this machine for some ridiculously high capacity and high performance storage and have additional networking connectors to make the base for an incredible server platform. It would be far cheaper per GB than the occasionally proposed DDR3 RAM being used for storage in highly performance-critical situations and wouldn't be skimping on performance to get that lower price.

The other boards are also great.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 6:33:13 PM

11796pcsI'm not familiar with Teaming, could someone explain?

Basically lets two or more ports be used as a single connection with the combined bandwidth of the ports in the team. IE two GbE ports could be used as a single 2GbE connection.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 6:37:38 PM

TheBigTrollisnt 16x quadfire or quad sli going to be bottlenecked by the sandy-bridge e chips?

Why would the SB-E CPUs have any bottle-neck on having x16/x16/x16/x16 instead of x8/x8/x8/x8 quad card CFX/SLI? Do you mean wouldn't the fact that these CPUs don't have that many lanes on-die? If so, then that doesn't matter. If you meant performance-wise that you don't think that the SB-E CPUs have enough performance for it, then still no. In such a situation, the bottle-neck would be so far on the GPUs because they would be playing at incredible resolution and/or settings/AA/AF etc. etc. that the CPU might as well be an i5.
Score
June 13, 2012 9:03:18 PM

14 on board SATA controllers!!!!!!!!
hopefully I will be able to afford this... someday :( 
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 9:11:33 PM

drwho114 on board SATA controllers!!!!!!!! hopefully I will be able to afford this... someday

There's a huge difference between a controller and a port and most of the ports on that X79 board, if not all of them, are SAS, not SATA.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 9:15:53 PM

Pyree said:
My English not good enough. I may make grammatical mistake so I am not fixing it.

JMcEntegart said:
Not one to miss out on a party, ASRock was at Computex in Taipei last week with a host of new technology. Among the products on show at the company's booth were three LGA 1155 motherboards, the X79 Extreme 11, the Z77 OC Formula, and the Z77 Extreme6/TB4.

ASRock Shows Off Three Motherboards for Enthusiasts : Read more

Changed to this below:

JMcEntegart said:
Not one to miss out on a party, ASRock was at Computex in Taipei last week with a host of new technology. Among the products on show at the company's booth were three new Intel motherboards, the X79 Extreme 11, the Z77 OC Formula, and the Z77 Extreme6/TB4.

ASRock Shows Off Three Motherboards for Enthusiasts : Read more

That would fix it, if you want to.
Score
June 13, 2012 11:08:14 PM

blazorthonThere's a huge difference between a controller and a port and most of the ports on that X79 board, if not all of them, are SAS, not SATA.

http://www.adaptec.com/nr/rdonlyres/b2b7fea9-f59b-46eb-...

bottom line: that's a whole bunch of hard drives that can be attached directly to the motherboard.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 11:24:39 PM

drwho1http://www.adaptec.com/nr/rdonlyre [...] lue_13.pdfbottom line: that's a whole bunch of hard drives that can be attached directly to the motherboard.

True, but what I said is also true.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 3:09:23 AM

HappyMeStupid nerds

Not so stupid when I ban you hijoe.
Score
June 14, 2012 7:06:57 PM

The x79 extreme 11 would be my dream come true if 4th slot was full 16x, even if it would drop to 8x or 4x when 2nd or 3rd are used. It's much better to have two empty slots between GPUs in multi GPU setup than one.

It has only 5 PEG slots and only 4 of them are 16x, one is 8x. Looks like you are the inexperienced here. You can put 2 power supplies one for power through PEG slots and other components and 2nd one for aux PEG connectors.
K2N haterThe fact it supports 4-way SLI has no relation to the number of slots. Most probably it does x16 if up to 3 add-in cards are detected and x8 if 4 or more. As evil as marketing goes a pair of "open" x1 slots also allow quad CF and quad SLI.

Article explicitly says it supports quad SLI or CF in 16x/16x/16x/16x PCIe 3.0 mode.
TheBigTrollisnt 16x quadfire or quad sli going to be bottlenecked by the sandy-bridge e chips?

Yes if you are stupid enough to run it on single 1080 screen. If you got with three 30 inch screens such as Dell U3011 is then no, SB-E will manage to crunch enough wire-frames for GPUs to be busy
11796pcsI'm not familiar with Teaming, could someone explain?

Teaming is in essence very similar to SLI and CF multi GPU setups. It is technology for using multiple network interfaces (and/or channels) teamed together for higher bandwidth, load balancing, higher fault tolerance and live switching from one to other in case of failure of one of them. It is very common on enterprise servers, and with gaming it has potential to decrease ping, well portion of ping that is generated by client's network card.
Score
June 14, 2012 9:44:16 PM

"can run 4-way SLI or CrossFireX in x16/x16/x16/x16"
Is it right? 0o OMG if so! First time we will see ZERO bottleneck on pciE-lanes. Of course the bottleneck at some high-end models that use x16/x8/x8/x8 aren't most times even noticiable, but still, neat!
Score
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 8:51:36 AM

The real question is if anybody knows when the Extreme11 board is going to be available (if ever)?
Score
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2012 7:31:34 AM

and the prices are?
Score
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 7:51:19 PM

which would be better the extreme 11 or oc formula im looking to do heavy gaming and i want to overclock as well, my setup will be with a i7 3770 k and a gtx 670
Score
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 7:55:11 PM

Quote:
which would be better the extreme 11 or oc formula im looking to do heavy gaming and i want to overclock as well, my setup will be with a i7 3770 k and a gtx 670

please make a new thread.

as for as i would say, id get a 7970 and a i5 3570k instead of a 670 and a i7

the i5 performs the same as the i7 in games
the 7970 performs better from the new drivers
Score
!