Recommended Virtual Memory

animoso

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hi. I have windows 7 32 bit, 2gb RAM and single (physical harddisk) with 2 drives (c: and d: )...
I just need suggestions as to how much value I should enter under
Virtual Memory> Custom Size: Initial and Maximum size...

I've read an article that it should be set like RAM size x 1.5, that would give me 3072 since I have 2gb of RAM, would that mean I should enter 3072 for initial and maximum size for BOTH drives (c: and d: )?

Purpose is to avoid system slow performance... :)

FYI: whenever I download games, applications and multimedia, I store it or install it in D: leaving C: with
enough space as much as possible thinking that it's good if C: is not loaded with programs and files since
OS is stored there.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this theory. :)

Solution

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Just let Windows manage it for you but if you want to set it no big deal. It's good to split it between the drives, put it on a non-OS drive, put it on the fastest drive, or put it on a flash drive. I'm not sure which is best however. As for the size, the combined size is what counts, I'd suggest whatever Windows recommends.

Keeping all your programs off the OS drive may help slightly but it's not a big deal. They can load from C: or D: just the same and its running programs that slow your system down. Having a ton of programs installed, no matter where, won't slow down your system if they're not running.

Swap file on a separate disk is good for a bit of a speed boost (drive does not have to seek to the swap file and back to the applications), min max set to the same size would prevent fragmentation of the swap file. Keeping the swap file at 1.5 gig should be good. You don't need to have a swap file on both drives, that's actually not a good idea.

animoso

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
"I've read an article that it should be set like RAM size x 1.5, that would give me 3072 since I have 2gb of RAM, would that mean I should enter 3072 for initial and maximum size for BOTH drives (c: and d: )? "

**I already did this, I put in 3072 for Initial and Maximum Size for both c: and d: **

@hang-the-9, so you mean what I did was actually called "swap file"?

@all, mayankleoboy1, I also prefer to set it up my own. Should I be entering 3072 for Initial and Maximum Size for both c: and D: given that my RAM is 2gb?

Because I've watched this increase in Virtual memory thing on youtube and accordingly it's advisable only for those who only got less than 4gb or RAM and so I followed he's simple tutorial. But, he only got 1 drive (c: ) and I got 2 (c: and d: )... that's where I need some help, of what value I should enter on both.

shamanxia

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
The Swap File or Page File for Windows is basically extra memory space that is put on the hard drive for programs to use.

Unless you are copying or cutting gigabytes into memory (ie, playing with video editing, photo editing or music editing) you don't need it.

Having a large Paging File actually slows your computer down. Unless you have your Page file on a SSD Hard Drive.

edit:

Virtual Memory = Swap File = Page File

Is your C and D drives separate drives or one drive partitioned in 2? You don't want 2 swap files. If C and D are the same physical drive, does not matter where you place the swap file, if they are separate drives you want it on the non-system drive, which is almost always D. Do not make a swap file on both drives.

You do need a swap file, even though people disable it, Windows will still use the disk somewhat. If Windows needs more that what is set in the Max, it will increase it if needed. You may get a message like "Please wait while Windows adjusts the swap file".

Solution