Barton 3000+ OC tips?

ECM

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002

I'm a newbie here, please be gentle....

Can anyone give me some tips for a mild (10-20%) OC of the Barton
3000+ (2.167GHz, 400 MHz FSB)? Does this chip require soldering/silver
laquer/etc? I've seen several conflicting mssg. now - are some of
these chips locked and some not?

I've just ordered from newegg.com:
1. Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2. Nforce 2 400 Ultra chipset. Picked because
it's got ok reviews and built in ATA RAID, for under US$100. It's
supposed to have easy multiplier and FSB control but suboptimal Vcore
control - but I want to go with a normal cooling solution anyways,
picked for low sound levels:
2.Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2TC - picked for the dB's - 27 @ full
roar. Instant reviews showed many happy customers, with reasonable
temps.
3. Of course, the Barton 3000+ with 400 MHz FSB at "2.1 GHz" (I'm
assuming actually 2.167 GHz?).
4. Thermaltake Silent PurePower 420W PS - on sale, fairly quiet,
reputation for stability, and with enough oomph for the 3 HDD, burners
X 2, higher end video card, capture card, etc....

Yeah, I know - there'll be a lot of opinions regarding the wisdom of
these choices, but that's what I got - based mostly on price, features
(eg. the RAID was vital), and quick reviews.

Any suggestions/help will be appreciated!
Peace!
ECM

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:29:52 -0700, ECM wrote:

> I'm a newbie here, please be gentle....
>
> Can anyone give me some tips for a mild (10-20%) OC of the Barton
> 3000+ (2.167GHz, 400 MHz FSB)? Does this chip require soldering/silver
> laquer/etc? I've seen several conflicting mssg. now - are some of
> these chips locked and some not?
>
> I've just ordered from newegg.com:
> 1. Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2. Nforce 2 400 Ultra chipset. Picked because
> it's got ok reviews and built in ATA RAID, for under US$100. It's
> supposed to have easy multiplier and FSB control but suboptimal Vcore
> control - but I want to go with a normal cooling solution anyways,
> picked for low sound levels:
> 2.Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2TC - picked for the dB's - 27 @ full
> roar. Instant reviews showed many happy customers, with reasonable
> temps.
> 3. Of course, the Barton 3000+ with 400 MHz FSB at "2.1 GHz" (I'm
> assuming actually 2.167 GHz?).
> 4. Thermaltake Silent PurePower 420W PS - on sale, fairly quiet,
> reputation for stability, and with enough oomph for the 3 HDD, burners
> X 2, higher end video card, capture card, etc....
>
> Yeah, I know - there'll be a lot of opinions regarding the wisdom of
> these choices, but that's what I got - based mostly on price, features
> (eg. the RAID was vital), and quick reviews.
>
> Any suggestions/help will be appreciated!

I'll only comment on your cpu choice and why it was the worst you could
make. The 3000+/400 already has a default FSB of 200MHz, so there's little
room to take it higher and the multiplier is locked. You should have
gotten a 2500+ at half the price since it's default FSB is only 166MHz and
allows for raisng it up to 200+. But since you're stuck with the 3000+
about all you can do is try and raise the FSB speed over 200. Even a
3000+/333 would have be better for overclocking.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"ECM" <thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote in message
> I'm a newbie here, please be gentle....
>
> Can anyone give me some tips for a mild (10-20%) OC of the Barton
> 3000+ (2.167GHz, 400 MHz FSB)? Does this chip require soldering/silver
> laquer/etc? I've seen several conflicting mssg. now - are some of
> these chips locked and some not?

10-20% overclock on a XP3000+ 200fsb Barton isn't what I'd call "mild"...10%
is almost 2400Mhz and 20% overclock is 2600Mhz! All I can say is good
luck....the 200FSB Barton 3000 was not the best choice for overclocking. It
can be done, but the 166FSB versions of the Barton have way more overhead.
I'd be willing to bet that if you can reach the 10% mark at all (220FSB)
consider yourself fortunate.

It's always best to ask before making the purchase rather than after. You
could have got an XP2500+ Mobile from Newegg at less than the price of your
3000+ which would have been a much better bet as far as overclocking goes.
Is it too late to change?

PS. the default clock speed is 2.1GHz not 2.167

"ECM" <thedeepabyss@whoever.com> wrote in message
> I'm a newbie here, please be gentle....
>
> Can anyone give me some tips for a mild (10-20%) OC of the Barton
> 3000+ (2.167GHz, 400 MHz FSB)? Does this chip require soldering/silver
> laquer/etc? I've seen several conflicting mssg. now - are some of
> these chips locked and some not?
>
> I've just ordered from newegg.com:
> 1. Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2. Nforce 2 400 Ultra chipset. Picked because
> it's got ok reviews and built in ATA RAID, for under US$100. It's
> supposed to have easy multiplier and FSB control but suboptimal Vcore
> control - but I want to go with a normal cooling solution anyways,
> picked for low sound levels:
> 2.Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2TC - picked for the dB's - 27 @ full
> roar. Instant reviews showed many happy customers, with reasonable
> temps.
> 3. Of course, the Barton 3000+ with 400 MHz FSB at "2.1 GHz" (I'm
> assuming actually 2.167 GHz?).
> 4. Thermaltake Silent PurePower 420W PS - on sale, fairly quiet,
> reputation for stability, and with enough oomph for the 3 HDD, burners
> X 2, higher end video card, capture card, etc....
>
> Yeah, I know - there'll be a lot of opinions regarding the wisdom of
> these choices, but that's what I got - based mostly on price, features
> (eg. the RAID was vital), and quick reviews.
>
> Any suggestions/help will be appreciated!
> Peace!
> ECM

ECM

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<cbkfee$hpn$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> It's always best to ask before making the purchase rather than after. You
> could have got an XP2500+ Mobile from Newegg at less than the price of your
> 3000+ which would have been a much better bet as far as overclocking goes.
> Is it too late to change?
>
> PS. the default clock speed is 2.1GHz not 2.167
>
> --

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

Yeah, I knew that the FSB OC method was going to be very limited with
this processor - I've heard that people are getting a whole 203MHz out
of it before it goes unstable. However, I've also read here and there
that some people are getting over 2400MHz with a 12.5 multiplier and a
stock 200MHz FSB. I guess that's kind of what I'm asking - is this
acheivable? Are the rumors/whispers I hear about this processor being
unlocked true? Could I get there with a Vcore of 1.75?

And yeah, of course it's 2.1 - 200 X 10.5 probably? Sorry, I just
didn't think about it. It's the 333 FSB thats 2.167 - 166 x 13 I
guess. I haven't been able to find out much about the multipliers on
these chips - I sifted theough the AMD website for a good hour
without much luck.....

Just to defend my pre-purchase reasoning, I bought this one because I
knew I'd be content with it even if I was stuck with no OC - it's
going to be a darn sight faster than my (un-OC'd) XP1600+. The Barton
3000+ 333FSB is the same price (maybe because it IS an overclocker's
dream); the price of the mobile 2500+ 266FSB was tempting too, at $40
less than what I ended up paying. BUT, with these chips, I would HAVE
to OC it to get what I wanted, rather than a little OC as icing on the
cake, so to speak. And, although I might be completely wrong on this,
I assumed I'd have to go to a high end/expensive/noisy cooling
solution to OC even a mobile XP 2500 or 2600+ to 3200-3400+ levels,
because I'd have to increase the Vcore too much.

Anyways, thanks to you all for your replies; any further info would
still be appreciated!

Peace!
ECM

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

Anyways, thanks to you all for your replies; any further info would
> still be appreciated!
>
> Peace!
> ECM

Unless your Barton is a pre week 39 2003 model, you're stuck at 10.5, but at
the very least you should get 2200Mhz out of it, you just need to try it and
see.

To overclock the XP2500+ Mobile you would not need to increase the voltage
past the desktop standard 1.65V and would not need any fancy cooling.. You
would only need to do those things if you wanted the last few % of
performance.
The big advantage of the mobiles is that they are unlocked whereas all
desktops are now multiplier locked.

BTW...you cant do 2400MHz with a 200FSB and a 12.5 multi....because 12.5 x
200 = 2500MHz.

As you say, as long as you don't hold out too much hope of overclocking I'm
sure your new rig will perform very well.
> "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > It's always best to ask before making the purchase rather than after.
You
> > could have got an XP2500+ Mobile from Newegg at less than the price of
your
> > 3000+ which would have been a much better bet as far as overclocking
goes.
> > Is it too late to change?
> >
> > PS. the default clock speed is 2.1GHz not 2.167
> >
> > --
>
> Thanks to all of you for your replies!
>
> Yeah, I knew that the FSB OC method was going to be very limited with
> this processor - I've heard that people are getting a whole 203MHz out
> of it before it goes unstable. However, I've also read here and there
> that some people are getting over 2400MHz with a 12.5 multiplier and a
> stock 200MHz FSB. I guess that's kind of what I'm asking - is this
> acheivable? Are the rumors/whispers I hear about this processor being
> unlocked true? Could I get there with a Vcore of 1.75?
>
> And yeah, of course it's 2.1 - 200 X 10.5 probably? Sorry, I just
> didn't think about it. It's the 333 FSB thats 2.167 - 166 x 13 I
> guess. I haven't been able to find out much about the multipliers on
> these chips - I sifted theough the AMD website for a good hour
> without much luck.....
>
> Just to defend my pre-purchase reasoning, I bought this one because I
> knew I'd be content with it even if I was stuck with no OC - it's
> going to be a darn sight faster than my (un-OC'd) XP1600+. The Barton
> 3000+ 333FSB is the same price (maybe because it IS an overclocker's
> dream); the price of the mobile 2500+ 266FSB was tempting too, at $40
> less than what I ended up paying. BUT, with these chips, I would HAVE
> to OC it to get what I wanted, rather than a little OC as icing on the
> cake, so to speak. And, although I might be completely wrong on this,
> I assumed I'd have to go to a high end/expensive/noisy cooling
> solution to OC even a mobile XP 2500 or 2600+ to 3200-3400+ levels,
> because I'd have to increase the Vcore too much.
>
> Anyways, thanks to you all for your replies; any further info would
> still be appreciated!
>
> Peace!
> ECM

ECM

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message news:<sZpDc.7594$l6.1804@clgrps12>...
> Anyways, thanks to you all for your replies; any further info would
> > still be appreciated!
> >
> > Peace!
> > ECM
>
> Unless your Barton is a pre week 39 2003 model, you're stuck at 10.5, but at
> the very least you should get 2200Mhz out of it, you just need to try it and
> see.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure I've got it right, you're saying that the locked
Bartons CAN'T be unlocked? Or does the L5 mod work? I've been
searching around to find out more about OCing this processor, but the
signal/noise ratio is exceptionally high; I've seen stuff about
unlocking the multiplier with modifications to the L3 and/or L5
bridges, or with a piece of wire between two pins. Does any of this
actually apply to this processor (ie. Barton 3000+, 400FSB)? I was
thinking of leaving the FSB at 200MHz, and just increasing the
multiplier to 11 - 12..... I guess not possible?

Oh well,it'll still do ok for the next year or so.... until the new
processors settle down into the new packaging, at any rate....

Peace!
ECM

No they can't be unlocked.
There is a very tricky way to 'fool' the motherboard into thinking the cpu
is a mobile, which in turn can let you use 'power-now' software to change
the multi in windows, but this does not work on any Nforce 2 board.

> No they can't be unlocked.
> There is a very tricky way to 'fool' the motherboard into thinking the cpu
> is a mobile, which in turn can let you use 'power-now' software to change
> the multi in windows, but this does not work on any Nforce 2 board.

Wait just a sec, don't tell him that trick.
If you feel like going this far, a new board would help..
MB's I'm talking about are by Abit, had to look, and hopes to find it...me.
if I find the board I'm talking about, I'll post it..
Cause this may take some time, board has a forced Multiplier..
Denny. :)

Augustus wrote:
> Anyways, thanks to you all for your replies; any further info would
>> still be appreciated!
>>
>> Peace!
>> ECM
>
> Unless your Barton is a pre week 39 2003 model, you're stuck at 10.5,
> but at the very least you should get 2200Mhz out of it, you just need
> to try it and see.

Hey, no rules without exception. My Barton 3000+/333 made week 8 2004 came
partially unlocked. 12 and 12,5 do not work, but I can happily select 13,
13,5, 11,5 , 7,5 etc. Haven't tried them all.
Unfortunately that does not change anything, as my PC is unstable with the
13,5 multi. Of course I could try to run with lower multi at the higher bus,
but on the other hand, my RAM max out at around 170MHz. So much for o/c ing
the 3000+. Mine will not move 83MHz more, even if cooling is fine.

ECM

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<cblo76$okv$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> To overclock the XP2500+ Mobile you would not need to increase the voltage
> past the desktop standard 1.65V and would not need any fancy cooling.. You
> would only need to do those things if you wanted the last few % of
> performance.
> The big advantage of the mobiles is that they are unlocked whereas all
> desktops are now multiplier locked.
>
> BTW...you cant do 2400MHz with a 200FSB and a 12.5 multi....because 12.5 x
> 200 = 2500MHz.
>
> As you say, as long as you don't hold out too much hope of overclocking I'm
> sure your new rig will perform very well.

**SNIP****

OK, one more question.
I bought this from newegg, they have a decent return policy - I could
exchange my Barton 3000+ 400FSB XP with a 3000+ 266FSB XP-mobile for
about $10 plus shipping....

My main app. is video editing and encoding; I'm building a video
workstation (on the cheap - I know, the p4 seems to be better for
video encoding, but I didn't have the money for a P4 & MB). I do know
that the higher the raw CPU speed, and the faster the memory
interface, the better for encoding.

Would I be able to get the FSB on an XP-M 3000+ to anywhere close to
400MHz? I'm thinking that that's a major overclock - about 40%,
although I could reduce the multiplyer to keep it closer to the stock
2.2GHz. What's a good overclock on this chip - would eg. 2.5GHz (12.5
X 200?) be possible, or is that just plain stupid?

Thanks again for all the info.....
Peace!
ECM

12.5 x 200 is very possible if you have good air cooling and increase the
core voltage slightly.... IMO the XP2400+ (or 2500+) Mobile are the ones to
go for simply because they are cheaper.

I'm running a 2500+ Mobile at 2640MHz (12 x 220) right now, air cooled.