print in grey-scale on a HP 3520 printer

Does anyone know how to tell WinXP SP2 when printing to print in gray-shade
only? Is this always a function of the printer driver utility, or does XP
have any built in tool or config dialog that can control this?

I have a HP 3520, I think it's the cheapest printer they make. The
cartridges are more expensive than the printer. 95% of the time, I don't
need color print-outs of web-pages I print. Grey-scale is fine with me.

I guess I could just take out the color cartridge, but seems like there
should be a way to instruct the printer to just use the black ink cartridge.

Malke

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to tell WinXP SP2 when printing to print in
> gray-shade
> only? Is this always a function of the printer driver utility, or
> does XP have any built in tool or config dialog that can control this?
>
> I have a HP 3520, I think it's the cheapest printer they make. The
> cartridges are more expensive than the printer. 95% of the time, I
> don't need color print-outs of web-pages I print. Grey-scale is fine
> with me.
>
> I guess I could just take out the color cartridge, but seems like
> there should be a way to instruct the printer to just use the black
> ink cartridge.

This is a function of the printer drivers, not the operating system. Go
to HP's site and see if they have drivers for the printer and if they
do, install them. Follow any installation instructions on the website.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers