Heat issue?

I have an nf7-s 2.0 mb, xp 2500+ barton, 512 ocz performance 6-3-3-2.0, 500w
ps. my games run fine when at stock settings. there is an option built into
my nf7-s to overclock it to 3200+. when i do that, my games don't run long
before they lock up. the mobo under long period of gaming stress gets to
37c, and cpu up to 55c. should my games be locking up because of this? or
could there be another problem? the games run fine at stock, but not at
3200. any other desktop tasks do fine at 3200.. just not the games. i'm
running newer games on a 9700pro. fans(stock) are working on cpu and vcard.

hi

sounds like it! i had probs with oc'ing my 2500 before i switched to
watercooling and remember that some games crashed when temps got over
50-55°c.

coco

"Mike B" <zlo@insightbb.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I have an nf7-s 2.0 mb, xp 2500+ barton, 512 ocz performance 6-3-3-2.0,
500w
> ps. my games run fine when at stock settings. there is an option built
into
> my nf7-s to overclock it to 3200+. when i do that, my games don't run long
> before they lock up. the mobo under long period of gaming stress gets to
> 37c, and cpu up to 55c. should my games be locking up because of this? or
> could there be another problem? the games run fine at stock, but not at
> 3200. any other desktop tasks do fine at 3200.. just not the games. i'm
> running newer games on a 9700pro. fans(stock) are working on cpu and
vcard.

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mike B wrote:
> I have an nf7-s 2.0 mb, xp 2500+ barton, 512 ocz performance
> 6-3-3-2.0, 500w ps. my games run fine when at stock settings. there
> is an option built into my nf7-s to overclock it to 3200+. when i do
> that, my games don't run long before they lock up. the mobo under
> long period of gaming stress gets to 37c, and cpu up to 55c. should
> my games be locking up because of this? or could there be another
> problem? the games run fine at stock, but not at 3200. any other
> desktop tasks do fine at 3200.. just not the games. i'm running newer
> games on a 9700pro. fans(stock) are working on cpu and vcard.

Hi there,

If your mobo (case) temp is reaching 37C your problem is lack of air flow
through the case. This means your cpu fan is blowing very warm air over the
heatsink, you could fit the best air cooler out there and still your cpu
will run hot.
Same goes for your graphics card, the fan will be blowing very warm air into
the heatsink and basically getting nowhere, prob the cause of the lockups.

Try running with the case side(s) off, blow out your heatsinks, fan grills
etc., if the lockups go away it's very probably heat related. Aim to reduce
the mobo temp and the other temps will follow, a couple of large quiet case
fans would help.

Post back and let us know if the problem improves running with the sides
off, let us know more about your case and existing fans etc.

--
Ian

NF7-S 2.0 get the latest bios 0.24 i think, and all latest Nforce
drivers.

Iam getting the same setup and i hope it works better.

By the way what games have you tried at full detail, iam hoping to
play Fargry FULL detail high res what games have you played like this.

What CPU cooler have you got, CPU paste type, ammount of fans in the
PC case ?

Could be your ram, lower you timings on your ram as much as you can
see if that makes a difference, myself iam getting some Corsair TwinX
2,2,2,6 ram :) they say that works nicely on the 2.0 board.

Did you lock your PCI to 33 and your AGP to 66 ? i think youhave the
option to do both on the board.

Also maybe you need to up your voltage to your cpu what have you got
it at at 3200 speed i think 1.7 would be arround the voltage it should
need to overclock, correct me if iam wrong people just guessing.

See ya.

"Mike B" <zlo@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> I have an nf7-s 2.0 mb, xp 2500+ barton, 512 ocz performance 6-3-3-2.0,
500w
> ps. my games run fine when at stock settings. there is an option built
into
> my nf7-s to overclock it to 3200+. when i do that, my games don't run long
> before they lock up. the mobo under long period of gaming stress gets to
> 37c, and cpu up to 55c. should my games be locking up because of this? or
> could there be another problem? the games run fine at stock, but not at
> 3200. any other desktop tasks do fine at 3200.. just not the games. i'm
> running newer games on a 9700pro. fans(stock) are working on cpu and
vcard.

I found that on my a7v333 and on my nf7-s 2.0 that if the diode temp of my
overclocked barton 2500+ gets to 55C that I have the same problem - not just
with games - maybe you could improve the cooling or slow it up a bit.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> Well, i play all of my games at high detail, and atleast 1024x768..
usually
> one or two steps higher. I use 8x AF, but i usually don't even use AA. I
> actually do run my computer with the side of the case off, because i have
> to. I have two case fans in it that i got from best buy for 13 each. One
is
> blowing in at the lower front of the case, and the back one is blowing out
> and is set higher. The pc runs hotter with the side on, so i leave it off
> all the time. I really don't know why it runs so warm.. i mean i have two
> fans in there, and the fan in my ps is extra large, although there is only
> one in it. Maybe it's just poor case design? I don't know.
8< Snip 8<

That your temps drop with side off means that the case ventilation is poor.
Adding fans will not necessarily improve the poor airflow.

Check the air intake on the bottom of the front panel. On quite a lot of
cases this is usually 1cm * 5cm and is much to small. Some cases even have
this intake blocked by the front USB/Audio input PCB so they don't let
enough air inside the case.

Next, check the grills. The drilled type ones are very restrictive and
could cut out up to 70% of your air flow. The ones punched ones that look
spokes are better, about 40-50% of air gets through. Get snips or other
cutters and cut these grills out. If you use a nibbler or dremel then I
would recommend total disassembly of the case and a thorough cleaning before
reassembly. If grills are needed then the chrome wire ones are the best,
having a small impact on the air flow.

Check you power supply. The above about grills applies for the fan grill on
the back. On my supply, the intake is a number of vertical slots, side by
side, about 2cm high and 4mm wide with about 4mm metal between each. I used
needle nosed pliers to twist the metal between the slots so they looked like
fins and nearly doubled the intake area, without cutting.

Check you heatsink. Some copper ones with lots of fine closely placed fins
clog up very quickly.

Check you wiring. I have seen cases when the cause of overheating was
power/data cables jamming the CPU cooling fan or where the HD data cable did
not jam the fan it almost totally blocked off the top of the CPU fan.

Adding fans. The rear mounted fans should be exhaust, i.e. blowing out.
The front and side ones should be intakes, i.e. blowing in. Start with a
rear exhaust fan and add more as necessary. But be aware. My case has room
for two rear exhaust fans and for a while I used two fans there but one fan
was too loud. I disconnected it but left it mounted and the temps went up a
degree to three but when I removed the fan, the temps went up even more. As
an experiment, I taped up the unused rear fan hole and the temps dropped
back down to being 1-2C higher than when I ran two rear fans.

Don't run your computer while it is sitting on the floor, especially if is
carpet. It will fill up with dust very quickly and carpet can block your
air intakes.

Back to cabling. Some people would say you must have round HD/CD/floppy
cables for best internal case air flow but this is not so. Simply
"stealthing" your cables by hiding excess length behind case framework or
tucking the excess between drives is just as effective. The same applies
for your internal power and other cables. Having said that, I will admit I
am a bit of a neatness freak and have round data cables and have sleaved
most of the other wiring in my case and try to stealth these cables where
possible.

The above has worked for me but don't just take my word. Check out the
various overclockers sites and check their articles for cooling methods.
You could even check sites such as www.silentpcreview.com for cooling ideas
as well, to get a quiet computer you must have good cooling.

My case usually only runs the fan in the PSU and a rear 92mm exhaust that is
run at 7-9V through a home made diode fan speed controller. While I do have
a 3 coloured LED fan mounted in the side cover, this fan is rarely
connected, except when I want to show off or the room temp is above 32C in
summer - it's too noisy.

My AMD XP2000+ CPU is overclocked from 1666MHz (12.5*133) to 2025MHz
(13.5*150) and the core voltage is 1.7V instead of 1.6V and it generally
runs at 13C above room temp for average use. I am currently running Prime95
torture test - maximum heat and the CPU is 20C above room temp and the 92mm
fan is running at a little over 9V.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS