SDRAM - what does _ Unbuffered _ mean in the description ?

I'm ordering additional system ram for a new computer. What does the unbuffered in the description below mean?

VIKING 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) System Memory - OEM

My thanks, as always, for your assistance.

~Mary
mleek at arkwest dot com
mmleek at hotmail dot com
3 answers Last reply
More about sdram _ unbuffered _ description

    In news:%239LWX6SlFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Mary Fowler Leek <mleek@arkwest.com> had this to say:

    > I'm ordering additional system ram for a new computer. What does the
    > unbuffered in the description below mean?
    >

    > VIKING 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) System
    > Memory - OEM
    >
    > My thanks, as always, for your assistance.
    >

    > ~Mary
    > mleek at arkwest dot com
    > mmleek at hotmail dot com

    What is unbuffered memory?:
    http://www.tech-faq.com/unbuffered-memory.shtml

    All you wanted to know and more...

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    OK, now need to find out if my computer uses it?

    Thank you for your help. I should have thought to Google this question!

    Mary

    "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uzsBPETlFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : In news:%239LWX6SlFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    : Mary Fowler Leek <mleek@arkwest.com> had this to say:
    :
    : My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    :
    : > I'm ordering additional system ram for a new computer. What does the
    : > unbuffered in the description below mean?
    : >
    : >
    : > VIKING 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) System
    : > Memory - OEM
    : >
    : > My thanks, as always, for your assistance.
    : >
    : >
    : > ~Mary
    : > mleek at arkwest dot com
    : > mmleek at hotmail dot com
    :
    : What is unbuffered memory?:
    : http://www.tech-faq.com/unbuffered-memory.shtml
    :
    : All you wanted to know and more...
    :
    : Galen
    : --
    :
    : "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    : without them."
    :
    : Sherlock Holmes
    :
    :

    Mary Fowler Leek wrote:
    > OK, now need to find out if my computer uses it?
    >
    > Thank you for your help. I should have thought to Google this question!
    >
    > Mary
    >

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uzsBPETlFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > : In news:%239LWX6SlFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > : Mary Fowler Leek <mleek@arkwest.com> had this to say:
    > :
    > : My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    > :
    > : > I'm ordering additional system ram for a new computer. What does the
    > : > unbuffered in the description below mean?
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > VIKING 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) System
    > : > Memory - OEM
    > : >
    > : > My thanks, as always, for your assistance.
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > ~Mary
    > : > mleek at arkwest dot com
    > : > mmleek at hotmail dot com
    > :
    > : What is unbuffered memory?:
    > : http://www.tech-faq.com/unbuffered-memory.shtml
    > :
    > : All you wanted to know and more...
    > :
    > : Galen
    > : --
    > :
    > : "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    > : without them."
    > :
    > : Sherlock Holmes
    > :
    > :
    Go to the Crucial website - they have a wizard which will tell you
    what kind of memory your MB needs.

    /dan

DDR2 SDRAM Windows XP