SDRAM - what does _ Unbuffered _ mean in the description ?

I'm ordering additional system ram for a new computer. What does the unbuffered in the description below mean?

VIKING 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) System Memory - OEM

My thanks, as always, for your assistance.

~Mary
mleek at arkwest dot com
mmleek at hotmail dot com

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%239LWX6SlFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Mary Fowler Leek <mleek@arkwest.com> had this to say:

> I'm ordering additional system ram for a new computer. What does the
> unbuffered in the description below mean?
>

> VIKING 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) System
> Memory - OEM
>
> My thanks, as always, for your assistance.
>

> ~Mary
> mleek at arkwest dot com
> mmleek at hotmail dot com

What is unbuffered memory?:
http://www.tech-faq.com/unbuffered-memory.shtml

All you wanted to know and more...

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

OK, now need to find out if my computer uses it?

Thank you for your help. I should have thought to Google this question!

Mary

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uzsBPETlFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: In news:%239LWX6SlFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
: Mary Fowler Leek <mleek@arkwest.com> had this to say:
:
: My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
:
: > I'm ordering additional system ram for a new computer. What does the
: > unbuffered in the description below mean?
: >
: >
: > VIKING 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) System
: > Memory - OEM
: >
: > My thanks, as always, for your assistance.
: >
: >
: > ~Mary
: > mleek at arkwest dot com
: > mmleek at hotmail dot com
:
: What is unbuffered memory?:
: http://www.tech-faq.com/unbuffered-memory.shtml
:
: All you wanted to know and more...
:
: Galen
: --
:
: "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
: without them."
:
: Sherlock Holmes
:
:

Mary Fowler Leek wrote:
> OK, now need to find out if my computer uses it?
>
> Thank you for your help. I should have thought to Google this question!
>
> Mary
>

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uzsBPETlFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> : In news:%239LWX6SlFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> : Mary Fowler Leek <mleek@arkwest.com> had this to say:
> :
> : My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> :
> : > I'm ordering additional system ram for a new computer. What does the
> : > unbuffered in the description below mean?
> : >
> : >
> : > VIKING 256MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) System
> : > Memory - OEM
> : >
> : > My thanks, as always, for your assistance.
> : >
> : >
> : > ~Mary
> : > mleek at arkwest dot com
> : > mmleek at hotmail dot com
> :
> : What is unbuffered memory?:
> : http://www.tech-faq.com/unbuffered-memory.shtml
> :
> : All you wanted to know and more...
> :
> : Galen
> : --
> :
> : "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> : without them."
> :
> : Sherlock Holmes
> :
> :
Go to the Crucial website - they have a wizard which will tell you
what kind of memory your MB needs.

/dan