Epson Sylus Colour 980. Scrap or repairable?

Every time a printing task is completed, the colour cartridge 'empty' light
comes on. I go through the motions of changing the cartridge and after a
long winded ink charging and cleaning session, the printer will work again
until the next job is completed. The whole sequence of events is then
repeated. The colour cartridge is a new one and is original Epson. The pages
printed are simply black text and totally without colour.
Can anyone help?

The 980 printer doesn't use any chips in the cartridge, and it has no
actual method of knowing if there is ink in the cartridge or not.

It only uses a countdown system to guess how much ink has been used from
the most recent installation, which it assumes is a new cartridge, and
the current time.

I would reset the ROM of the printer, because it may be scrambled and
causing incorrect ink counting".

To reset the IC ROM and the ink timer do the following:

Reset for Stylus Color 980 printer:

With printer off, and preferably disconnected from the computer, press
the ON, Load/Eject and Cleaning buttons all at once.

Let go of all buttons as printer goes into special mode.

While Paper Out LED is flashing (does so for about 2 seconds)

Press on Load/Eject button again for a couple of seconds to reset IC and
ink timer

Then turn printer off, and reconnect to computer.

If this doesn't fix it, there may be a problem with the leaf spring in
the cartridge compartment making an intermittent contact.

Art