techie help - Serial ATA SATA to EIDE/IDE Hard Drive Mini ..

July 31, 2005 10:16:44 AM

http://www.xpcgear.com/ide2sata.html

Serial ATA SATA to EIDE/IDE Hard Drive (HDD) and Optical Drive Mini Adapter Converter with Y-Power Cable (Retail)

Features:
This SATA Serial ATA to IDE Ultra ATA-133 Converter Board is a converter solution for the Parallel Ultra ATA Devices. It has a standard 40 pin ATA port can interface to a parallel Ultra ATA (IDE) devices (such as Hard Disk, DVD-Rom, DVD+-R/W, DVD-RAM, CD-ROM, CD-RW, MO, ..). It accepts SATA commands through the Serial ATA interface from the host, decodes the commands and converts them to parallel ATA commands to the device. Response from the device through the parallel ATA bus are deciphered, processed and converted to SATA protocol and sent to the host.

One more question, please, and I think I'll be ready to make my move.

I recently purchased a new computer. Didn't plan on it so didn't do my research before the purchase, as I usually do. We live in a rural area and it's a looonnnng trip to see, purchase, etc. Now I have it home and realize it uses a serial ATA drive, with additional ATA connectors on the MB. Only one IDE connector, which will be required for the two DVD R/W drives.

I recently purchased and installed new IDE drives for my old computer. I'd like to have the use of these drives in the new computer. One I can use in the external USB IDE kit but I need an additional slave hd, coming off of the MO, for use with video editing. I don't think USB 2.0 is fast enough for video work.

Would you techies please check the above information and tell me if this will work in my situation? It sounds like it just attaches to the back of the IDE hard drive, where the ribbon cable would normally attach? Then an ATA cable (very nice and small btw) would connect to the mother board and to this adapter?

My thanks for your assistance.

~Mary
mleek at arkwest dot com
mmleek at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:34:35 PM

It would be better to buy a PCI IDE controller than to rely on a SATA to IDE
convertor.

"Mary Fowler Leek" <mleek@arkwest.com> wrote in message
[...]

August 1, 2005 7:34:36 PM

I don't think I'll have enough PCI slots free, but if so, thanks for the excellent suggestion.

Mary

"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message news:%231OmNAtlFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: It would be better to buy a PCI IDE controller than to rely on a SATA to IDE
: convertor.
:
:
!