Using XP 2400+ in my ABIT KT7

Hi all, I have been reading your posts about Athlon XP compatibility
with old KT133 board (eg. KT7)... I've been wondering if I can EASILY
replace my old Thunderbird 800@954 by an Athlon XP Tbred B 2400+
(15x133). By "easily" I mean not having to mod either the mobo nor the
new cpu.

Right now, I understand that:
- If I get an UNLOCKED Tbred B 2400, I can get it to post at
20x100=2000 just by adjusting the bios settings
- If I get a LOCKED Tbred B 2400, it will post at 15x100=1500

Is this all true?

Much thx in advance, guys.
18 answers Last reply
More about using 2400 abit

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:07:50 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:

    > Hi all, I have been reading your posts about Athlon XP compatibility
    > with old KT133 board (eg. KT7)... I've been wondering if I can EASILY
    > replace my old Thunderbird 800@954 by an Athlon XP Tbred B 2400+
    > (15x133). By "easily" I mean not having to mod either the mobo nor the
    > new cpu.
    >
    > Right now, I understand that:
    > - If I get an UNLOCKED Tbred B 2400, I can get it to post at
    > 20x100=2000 just by adjusting the bios settings
    > - If I get a LOCKED Tbred B 2400, it will post at 15x100=1500
    >
    > Is this all true?

    Yes. If the cpu is unlocked, you could also use a 3000+/333 Barton core
    without mods. See link below.

    xp2400 Tbred are all unlocked.For some mainboards only the higher multies
    are available,
    on others the lower ones also.To obtain the multipliers above 15 and when
    not available in bios use a lower one if you are on a legacy mobo.
    Ok i got different mobo but i can go 7,5=22,5 x 100 with this
    cpu.Hm,ofcourse i need vcore 1.75v then.
    When the lower multies are unavailable but the higher not , the lower ones
    in your bios will translate to different multies then you read.
    Open up your case ,set vcore @ max voltage your bios allows and try all
    multies @ 100fsb,pull the cmos jumper when crash.
    This is the best way to find out which multies are available for your mobo.

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:51:09 +0200, Flow wrote:

    > "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> schreef in bericht
    >> Yes. If the cpu is unlocked, you could also use a 3000+/333 Barton core
    >> without mods. See link below.
    >>
    > xp2400 Tbred are all unlocked.

    No, they aren't. All newer AMD cpu's as of about 0339 are internally hard
    locked. Prior to this, all Tbreds and Bartons were all unlocked.

    Thx for your replies, guys. I'm gonna search for a pre-0339 2400+ to
    replace my 800@954 and 256MB more to make a total of 512. Do you think
    I'll need a new HS/FAN for it? I have a copper Spire hs/fan
    recommended for Thunderbird up to 1400.
    Both the CPU and RAM will cost around 110€ (72+38).

    This renewed PC will be for my father, and I'll get a new A64/1GB/WD
    HD/R9800PRO :)

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:17:06 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:

    > Thx for your replies, guys. I'm gonna search for a pre-0339 2400+ to
    > replace my 800@954 and 256MB more to make a total of 512. Do you think
    > I'll need a new HS/FAN for it? I have a copper Spire hs/fan
    > recommended for Thunderbird up to 1400.

    There's several models listed here. Which one?

    http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

    Most should be ok as long as you don't try to overclock it. if you've got
    one of the models with the little fans, you might want to consider a new
    cooler or new fan for the original one.

    It's the second model, the 5E34B3, the one with the copper base, the
    one that give 0.71°C/W. It keeps my 800@954 between 44-52 C.
    Do you feel I should get another for the 2400+?
    Is the 2400+ made with 0.13u cooler than my Thunderbird 800 made with
    0.18u?

    Thx again.

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:37:58 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:

    > It's the second model, the 5E34B3, the one with the copper base, the
    > one that give 0.71°C/W. It keeps my 800@954 between 44-52 C.
    > Do you feel I should get another for the 2400+?

    It's probably ok as long as you don't overvolt/clock, but it's marginal
    IMO. Just replacing the little 10mm fan with a 60x25mm would help though.
    I'd probably just replace the whole thing if I didn't have the fan laying
    around. A TR2-M1 only cost about $8 and will do a great and quiet job even
    overvolted/clocked.

    > Is the 2400+ made with 0.13u cooler than my Thunderbird 800 made with
    > 0.18u?

    No, it's hotter (63W vs. 48W), with less surface area to disapate heat. It
    the same speed of 800MHZ it would be considerably cooler though. Remeber
    that it's rated 3 times faster.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Ohh, all 2400's i've got to see were made in 2004 :(

    Is there any other cpu that has a 20 multiplier? I've just read about
    mobile athlon xp's and its unlocked multiplier due to get PowerNow
    working...

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:04:35 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:37:58 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:
    >
    >> It's the second model, the 5E34B3, the one with the copper base, the
    >> one that give 0.71°C/W. It keeps my 800@954 between 44-52 C.
    >> Do you feel I should get another for the 2400+?
    >
    >It's probably ok as long as you don't overvolt/clock, but it's marginal
    >IMO. Just replacing the little 10mm fan with a 60x25mm would help though.
    >I'd probably just replace the whole thing if I didn't have the fan laying
    >around. A TR2-M1 only cost about $8 and will do a great and quiet job even
    >overvolted/clocked.
    >
    >> Is the 2400+ made with 0.13u cooler than my Thunderbird 800 made with
    >> 0.18u?
    >>
    >No, it's hotter (63W vs. 48W), with less surface area to disapate heat. It
    >the same speed of 800MHZ it would be considerably cooler though. Remeber
    >that it's rated 3 times faster.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:58:12 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:

    > Ohh, all 2400's i've got to see were made in 2004 :(
    >
    > Is there any other cpu that has a 20 multiplier? I've just read about
    > mobile athlon xp's and its unlocked multiplier due to get PowerNow
    > working...

    AFAIK all mobiles and MP's are not locked. I'd try ebay for a used
    unlocked Tbred B core or Barton if I were you. You should be able to pick
    one up pretty cheap. Yep. A real quick search found one with a current bid
    of $17.09 (2 days left).

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44935&item=3491174559&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    Email seller for date code before bidding just to make sure it's not
    locked. If you want new, then either a mobile or MP. But it'll cost you.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:58:12 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:

    Here's another one. ends in 22 hours, hurry if you want it. It's an
    unlocked Tbred B core. Perfect for your board.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15919&item=3490540944&rd=1

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    The big problem is i am in Spain, not US. I'll take a look in ebay sp.
    Do all mobile and MP cpu's work in a desktop mobo?

    Thx.

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:25:46 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:58:12 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:
    >
    >Here's another one. ends in 22 hours, hurry if you want it. It's an
    >unlocked Tbred B core. Perfect for your board.
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15919&item=3490540944&rd=1
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Heyy, I've just found in eBay sp a new Athlon XP-M 2400+ Desktop
    Replacement 72. It's Barton 0.13u. FSB runs at 266 and has 512KB
    cache. The cpu codes are:
    AXMA2400FUT4C 2323436200563 AQXFA0334VPAW

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:25:46 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:58:12 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:
    >
    >Here's another one. ends in 22 hours, hurry if you want it. It's an
    >unlocked Tbred B core. Perfect for your board.
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15919&item=3490540944&rd=1
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Heyy, I've just found in eBay sp a new Athlon XP-M 2400+ Desktop
    Replacement 72. It's Barton 0.13u. FSB runs at 266 and has 512KB
    cache. The cpu codes are:
    AXMA2400FUT4C 2323436200563 AQXFA0334VPAW
    It's new, not used. It cost 69€, will it work in my Abit KT7-Raid?

    Much thx again!

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:25:46 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:58:12 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:
    >
    >Here's another one. ends in 22 hours, hurry if you want it. It's an
    >unlocked Tbred B core. Perfect for your board.
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15919&item=3490540944&rd=1
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:35:29 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:

    > Heyy, I've just found in eBay sp a new Athlon XP-M 2400+ Desktop
    > Replacement 72. It's Barton 0.13u. FSB runs at 266 and has 512KB
    > cache. The cpu codes are:
    > AXMA2400FUT4C 2323436200563 AQXFA0334VPAW
    > It's new, not used. It cost 69€, will it work in my Abit KT7-Raid?

    It should, since I know someone that used a 2600+XP-M in a KT7A, which
    is basically the same board with the KT133A chipset. Even uses the same
    bios. But I don't know for sure. It might limit you to a 15x multiplier,
    but that can be changed via the default max mulplier bridges for the
    mobile. I think it's L6. And then again it may let you use all of them,
    I'm just not sure. I'd still look for a used Unlocked Tbred B or Barton
    core if I were you, or make sure they have a return policy.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    I've found a Tbred B with the following stepping:
    AXDA1700DLT3C 9743377281548 JIUHB0307MPMW
    It seems a pearl, but I'm wondering if this thing will work in my Abit
    KT7 without modification because it runs at a default speed of 1467
    (11x133,3). This will not enable highter multiplier, will it? I've
    been reading your Web and found that I shoud set the 5th multiplier
    bit to hight. Any Web with comments on how to do this?

    Thx again.

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:47:54 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:35:29 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:
    >
    >> Heyy, I've just found in eBay sp a new Athlon XP-M 2400+ Desktop
    >> Replacement 72. It's Barton 0.13u. FSB runs at 266 and has 512KB
    >> cache. The cpu codes are:
    >> AXMA2400FUT4C 2323436200563 AQXFA0334VPAW
    >> It's new, not used. It cost 69€, will it work in my Abit KT7-Raid?
    >>
    >It should, since I know someone that used a 2600+XP-M in a KT7A, which
    >is basically the same board with the KT133A chipset. Even uses the same
    >bios. But I don't know for sure. It might limit you to a 15x multiplier,
    >but that can be changed via the default max mulplier bridges for the
    >mobile. I think it's L6. And then again it may let you use all of them,
    >I'm just not sure. I'd still look for a used Unlocked Tbred B or Barton
    >core if I were you, or make sure they have a return policy.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:30:35 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:

    > I've found a Tbred B with the following stepping:
    > AXDA1700DLT3C 9743377281548 JIUHB0307MPMW
    > It seems a pearl, but I'm wondering if this thing will work in my Abit
    > KT7 without modification because it runs at a default speed of 1467
    > (11x133,3). This will not enable highter multiplier, will it? I've
    > been reading your Web and found that I shoud set the 5th multiplier
    > bit to hight. Any Web with comments on how to do this?

    1. Solder wires to AJ27 and one of the vcc pins and install a spst toggle
    switch to turn on the 5th multiplier bit when you want it on.

    2. Use a single strand (very small) of ribbon cable or speaker wire and
    put between AJ27 and vcc before installing the cpu.

    There's lots of ways to do it. This cpu only has a default voltage of 1.5v
    though so you may need to increase that too before it will boot.
    Personally, I'd just mod the cpu into a 2100+ by cutting L3-3 and L3-5
    bridges, and also increase the default vcore toat least 1.60v (1.65v is
    default for 2400+ and above). In any case you can change voltage higher or
    lower with the bios if you mod it on the cpu. If you use the pinmod to
    change the voltage, don't try and set it in the bios. Bad things could
    happen.

    Resources

    http://fab51.com/index-e.html

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Chances are you can set it at 11x166 and up.
    Could be conductive ink is used to fill the gap in the bridge that enables
    the lower multiplier,maybe you can clean it out.
    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
    it's all in there

    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:30:35 +0200, David Jiménez Carrero wrote:
    >
    > > I've found a Tbred B with the following stepping:
    > > AXDA1700DLT3C 9743377281548 JIUHB0307MPMW
    > > It seems a pearl, but I'm wondering if this thing will work in my Abit
    > > KT7 without modification because it runs at a default speed of 1467
    > > (11x133,3). This will not enable highter multiplier, will it? I've
    > > been reading your Web and found that I shoud set the 5th multiplier
    > > bit to hight. Any Web with comments on how to do this?
    > >
    > 1. Solder wires to AJ27 and one of the vcc pins and install a spst toggle
    > switch to turn on the 5th multiplier bit when you want it on.
    >
    > 2. Use a single strand (very small) of ribbon cable or speaker wire and
    > put between AJ27 and vcc before installing the cpu.
    >
    > There's lots of ways to do it. This cpu only has a default voltage of 1.5v
    > though so you may need to increase that too before it will boot.
    > Personally, I'd just mod the cpu into a 2100+ by cutting L3-3 and L3-5
    > bridges, and also increase the default vcore toat least 1.60v (1.65v is
    > default for 2400+ and above). In any case you can change voltage higher or
    > lower with the bios if you mod it on the cpu. If you use the pinmod to
    > change the voltage, don't try and set it in the bios. Bad things could
    > happen.
    >
    > Resources
    >
    > http://fab51.com/index-e.html
    >
    > http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:35:02 +0200, Flow wrote:

    > Chances are you can set it at 11x166 and up.
    > Could be conductive ink is used to fill the gap in the bridge that enables
    > the lower multiplier,maybe you can clean it out.
    > http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
    > it's all in there

    Look at the subject line.:-)
    Hint: The KT7's max FSB is about 116MHz. That's a long way form 166.

AMD Overclocking Windows XP