Can't assign drive letter to slave hard drive after reinst..

I had to reinstall XP because of spyware issues. I saved important data on
my slave drive. I reinstalled XP. Now the bios, device manager, and disk
manager recognizes the slave drive but didn't assign it a drive letter. In
disk manager it shows as a basic disk, NTFS, Healthy (Active), 18.65 GB,
Online. When I right click the volume to assign a drive letter it is grayed
out. The only option is to Delete it. NOT what I want to do. What do I do?
2 answers Last reply
More about assign drive letter slave hard drive reinst

    Try run,type:diskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click on the drive,go to actions,all,
    change drive letter/path Asign it a letter.If that doesnt work,at start-up or
    restart,tap the F8 key,select safe mode,enter xp as administrator,retry in
    msc.

    "mctazr2" wrote:

    > I had to reinstall XP because of spyware issues. I saved important data on
    > my slave drive. I reinstalled XP. Now the bios, device manager, and disk
    > manager recognizes the slave drive but didn't assign it a drive letter. In
    > disk manager it shows as a basic disk, NTFS, Healthy (Active), 18.65 GB,
    > Online. When I right click the volume to assign a drive letter it is grayed
    > out. The only option is to Delete it. NOT what I want to do. What do I do?

    Did both and both times I only have the choice to Delete it.

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Try run,type:diskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click on the drive,go to actions,all,
    > change drive letter/path Asign it a letter.If that doesnt work,at start-up or
    > restart,tap the F8 key,select safe mode,enter xp as administrator,retry in
    > msc.
    >
    > "mctazr2" wrote:
    >
    > > I had to reinstall XP because of spyware issues. I saved important data on
    > > my slave drive. I reinstalled XP. Now the bios, device manager, and disk
    > > manager recognizes the slave drive but didn't assign it a drive letter. In
    > > disk manager it shows as a basic disk, NTFS, Healthy (Active), 18.65 GB,
    > > Online. When I right click the volume to assign a drive letter it is grayed
    > > out. The only option is to Delete it. NOT what I want to do. What do I do?

Windows XP