Under Win XP Pro SP2 Need to Format Floppy with DOS Comman..

I need to flash the BIOS on my motherboard. First, however, I need to
create a BOOTABLE floppy on which to save the original motherboard BIOS and
the flash memory writer before flashing the motherboard to the new BIOS.
That way, if the new BIOS doesn't work, I can Flash the old BIOS onto my
mb,.

A WinXP Pro SP2 Command Prompt will not permit me to execute Format A:/S.
So, how can I create a bootable floppy disk under WinXP Pro SP2?
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
7 answers Last reply
More about under format floppy comman

    www.bootdisk.com

    " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I need to flash the BIOS on my motherboard. First, however, I need to
    > create a BOOTABLE floppy on which to save the original motherboard BIOS
    and
    > the flash memory writer before flashing the motherboard to the new BIOS.
    > That way, if the new BIOS doesn't work, I can Flash the old BIOS onto my
    > mb,.
    >
    > A WinXP Pro SP2 Command Prompt will not permit me to execute Format A:/S.
    > So, how can I create a bootable floppy disk under WinXP Pro SP2?
    > --
    > With kindest regards,
    >
    > Dick Smith

    This is helpful, however, it's like the old saying,"I asked for the time,
    and got a long dissertation about how to build a watch." Not complaining,
    but all I need is one floppy with the DOS system transferred to it; nothing
    else. No autoexec.bat, no config.sys--Nothing but a formatted floppy with
    the dos boot system files.
    --
    With kindest regards,

    Dick Smith
    "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > www.bootdisk.com
    >
    > " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I need to flash the BIOS on my motherboard. First, however, I need to
    >> create a BOOTABLE floppy on which to save the original motherboard BIOS
    > and
    >> the flash memory writer before flashing the motherboard to the new BIOS.
    >> That way, if the new BIOS doesn't work, I can Flash the old BIOS onto my
    >> mb,.
    >>
    >> A WinXP Pro SP2 Command Prompt will not permit me to execute Format A:/S.
    >> So, how can I create a bootable floppy disk under WinXP Pro SP2?
    >> --
    >> With kindest regards,
    >>
    >> Dick Smith

    I know, it used to be easier.

    But you CAN'T make a honest-to-God
    DOS boot floppy with NT. You can make one
    that'll be bootable, but it won't be DOS, and
    some flasher programs will bork on it.

    That's what the site is all about ;-)

    > This is helpful, however, it's like the old saying,"I asked for the time,
    > and got a long dissertation about how to build a watch." Not complaining,
    > but all I need is one floppy with the DOS system transferred to it;
    nothing
    > else. No autoexec.bat, no config.sys--Nothing but a formatted floppy with
    > the dos boot system files.
    > --
    > With kindest regards,
    >
    > Dick Smith
    > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > www.bootdisk.com
    > >
    > > " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> I need to flash the BIOS on my motherboard. First, however, I need to
    > >> create a BOOTABLE floppy on which to save the original motherboard BIOS
    > > and
    > >> the flash memory writer before flashing the motherboard to the new
    BIOS.
    > >> That way, if the new BIOS doesn't work, I can Flash the old BIOS onto
    my
    > >> mb,.
    > >>
    > >> A WinXP Pro SP2 Command Prompt will not permit me to execute Format
    A:/S.
    > >> So, how can I create a bootable floppy disk under WinXP Pro SP2?
    > >> --
    > >> With kindest regards,
    > >>
    > >> Dick Smith

    Answered in the general news group.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I need to flash the BIOS on my motherboard. First, however, I need to
    >create a BOOTABLE floppy on which to save the original motherboard BIOS and
    >the flash memory writer before flashing the motherboard to the new BIOS.
    >That way, if the new BIOS doesn't work, I can Flash the old BIOS onto my
    >mb,.
    >
    > A WinXP Pro SP2 Command Prompt will not permit me to execute Format A:/S.
    > So, how can I create a bootable floppy disk under WinXP Pro SP2?
    > --
    > With kindest regards,
    >
    > Dick Smith

    " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in

    > This is helpful, however, it's like the old saying,"I asked for
    > the time, and got a long dissertation about how to build a
    > watch." Not complaining, but all I need is one floppy with the
    > DOS system transferred to it; nothing else. No autoexec.bat, no
    > config.sys--Nothing but a formatted floppy with the dos boot
    > system files.

    1) Click Start-> Help and Support, then type "format diskette" in the
    search box.

    2) RTFM

    You can make an DOS boot dksi directly when you right click on the Floppy
    icon and click "format". You usually need these type of boot disks in order
    to flash BIOS or drive firmwares.

    >I know, it used to be easier.
    >
    > But you CAN'T make a honest-to-God
    > DOS boot floppy with NT. You can make one
    > that'll be bootable, but it won't be DOS, and
    > some flasher programs will bork on it.
    >
    > That's what the site is all about ;-)
    >

    > " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> This is helpful, however, it's like the old saying,"I asked for the time,
    >> and got a long dissertation about how to build a watch." Not
    >> complaining,
    >> but all I need is one floppy with the DOS system transferred to it;
    > nothing
    >> else. No autoexec.bat, no config.sys--Nothing but a formatted floppy
    >> with
    >> the dos boot system files.
    >> --
    >> With kindest regards,
    >>
    >> Dick Smith
    >> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > www.bootdisk.com
    >> >
    >> > " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > and
    > BIOS.
    > my

    > A:/S.

    Again, I say:

    IT ISN'T DOS.

    It's a "pseudo-DOS" bootable diskette-some
    flasher programs WILL refuse to run with it as
    the version number it reports is unknown by
    the flasher program (older Adaptec SCSI controllers
    with onboard BIOS come to mind).

    Just an FYI.

    > You can make an DOS boot dksi directly when you right click on the Floppy
    > icon and click "format". You usually need these type of boot disks in
    order
    > to flash BIOS or drive firmwares.
    >

    > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > >I know, it used to be easier.
    > >
    > > But you CAN'T make a honest-to-God
    > > DOS boot floppy with NT. You can make one
    > > that'll be bootable, but it won't be DOS, and
    > > some flasher programs will bork on it.
    > >
    > > That's what the site is all about ;-)
    > >

    > > " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> This is helpful, however, it's like the old saying,"I asked for the
    time,
    > >> and got a long dissertation about how to build a watch." Not
    > >> complaining,
    > >> but all I need is one floppy with the DOS system transferred to it;
    > > nothing
    > >> else. No autoexec.bat, no config.sys--Nothing but a formatted floppy
    > >> with
    > >> the dos boot system files.
    > >> --
    > >> With kindest regards,
    > >>
    > >> Dick Smith
    > >> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    > > BIOS.
    > > my

    > > A:/S.

BIOS Floppy Disk Motherboards Windows XP