2500 cpu running at 3200 out of box

Hi all,
Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.

Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:51:35 -0400, Bert Minor wrote:

> Hi all,
> Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
> Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
> 12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.

12.5x200=2500MHz. That's quite an overclock. A 3200+ is only 11x200 for
2200MHz.

> Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?

ALL CPU cores (of the same model) are the same. It doesn't matter if it's
labeled a 2500+ or a 3200+. It's just that some cores perform better than
others due to manufacturing reasons. AMD has chosen 2200MHz as the cutoff
spot for the Barton core even though some may go up to 2500MHz or even
more using the right components. My guess is that at least 90% of all
Barton cores made today will do 2200MHz reliably. Was probably lower than
that during startup.

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:51:35 -0400, Bert Minor <bminor@storm.ca>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
>Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
>12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.

>Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?

Nice O/C, what's the codes on the slug Bert ?

BoroLad

N.B You on water ?

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:51:35 -0400, Bert Minor <bminor@storm.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
> >Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
> >12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.
>
> >Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?
>
> Nice O/C, what's the codes on the slug Bert ?
>
> BoroLad
>
> N.B You on water ?

Considering his next post says he's kept the mutli at 12.5 and it's still
kicking away at 200fsb
I think that He's on something much better than water :)..

Me thinks he's just incorrectly set the fsb to 200 instead of 166.
(but that's not a bad thing with what he has)

rstlne wrote:
> <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:51:35 -0400, Bert Minor <bminor@storm.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
>>> Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it
>>> at
>>> 12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.
>>
>>> Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?
>>
>> Nice O/C, what's the codes on the slug Bert ?
>>
>> BoroLad
>>
>> N.B You on water ?
>
> Considering his next post says he's kept the mutli at 12.5 and it's
> still kicking away at 200fsb
> I think that He's on something much better than water :)..

I think he has a locked CPU ;)

> Me thinks he's just incorrectly set the fsb to 200 instead of 166.
> (but that's not a bad thing with what he has)

Agreed.

--
Michael Brown

Tan

I don't think it's locked. I just downloaded cpuz and I get the
following:
2200mhz
200fsb x 11 multiplier (i lowered it in the bios0
FAMILY 6
STEPPING 0
MODEL A

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:40:17 +1200, "Michael Brown"
<see@signature.below> wrote:

>rstlne wrote:
>> <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

>>> Nice O/C, what's the codes on the slug Bert ?
>>>
>>> BoroLad
>>>
>>> N.B You on water ?
>>
>> Considering his next post says he's kept the mutli at 12.5 and it's
>> still kicking away at 200fsb
>> I think that He's on something much better than water :)..
>
>I think he has a locked CPU ;)
>
>> Me thinks he's just incorrectly set the fsb to 200 instead of 166.
>> (but that's not a bad thing with what he has)
>
>Agreed.

Why did you lower it in the BIOS? Raise it again then check it
"tan" <tanner778@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I don't think it's locked. I just downloaded cpuz and I get the
> following:
> 2200mhz
> 200fsb x 11 multiplier (i lowered it in the bios0
> FAMILY 6
> STEPPING 0
> MODEL A
>

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:40:17 +1200, "Michael Brown"
> <see@signature.below> wrote:
>
> >rstlne wrote:
> >> <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

> >> Considering his next post says he's kept the mutli at 12.5 and it's
> >> still kicking away at 200fsb
> >> I think that He's on something much better than water :)..
> >
> >I think he has a locked CPU ;)
> >
> >> Me thinks he's just incorrectly set the fsb to 200 instead of 166.
> >> (but that's not a bad thing with what he has)
> >
> >Agreed.

"tan" <tanner778@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I don't think it's locked. I just downloaded cpuz and I get the
> following:
> 2200mhz
> 200fsb x 11 multiplier (i lowered it in the bios0
> FAMILY 6
> STEPPING 0
> MODEL A

Why did you change the multiplier to the one that the 2500+ uses
It needs to be different than 11 when you set it.. ie
set it to 11.5 and see if you get 2300 mhz.

You said however that it was 12.5 (I think you said that) at 200
and these chips are really stress'd at that (at least mine wont run at it)

tan wrote:
> I don't think it's locked. I just downloaded cpuz and I get the
> following:
> 2200mhz
> 200fsb x 11 multiplier (i lowered it in the bios0
> FAMILY 6
> STEPPING 0
> MODEL A

Unfortunately, that's no use in determining if it's locked or not. It just
says you've got a Barton. To see whether it's locked, change the multi in
the BIOS and see if the multi as resported by CPUZ changes, or post the
4-digit datestamp that's etched onto the die (the 4 digits in the line that
looks like AQZFA0410WPAW). If you've bought your CPU in the last 8 months,
there's a high chance that's it's die-locked.

[...]

--
Michael Brown

Tan

OK...I changed the multiplier in the bios and it was accepted. CPUz
now says that my cpu is running at 2260 mhz.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message
> borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:51:35 -0400, Bert Minor <bminor@storm.ca>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
> >> Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
> >> 12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.
> >
> >> Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?
> >
> > Nice O/C, what's the codes on the slug Bert ?
> >
> > BoroLad
>
> I respectfully suggest that it's multi-locked and is in fact running at
> 2.2Ghz regardless of BIOS settings. I bet it isn't Prime stable either and
> that the quoted 47° is idle.
> --
> ~misfit~

My old, unlock'd barton 2500+
I can run the In-PLace Large FFTs (maximum heat, power consumption, some
ram) Option
No errors
I have JUST clean'd my heatsink and stuff tho (like HEAVY CLEANING).. so
everything (temp) is a lot lower than it was just a week ago.

Anyhow stock multi (11) and 200fsb and it's toggling between 52 and 53 with
that thing running (is there something better I can use to load the cpu?)
It's on test3 now (I have ran it for MUCH longer times with no problems,
just wanted to catch the temps here)

Aerocool Deep Impact 102 (thinking of replacing it for something a bit
better lol)
fyi mobo/case temp reported @ 21c

tan wrote:
> OK...I changed the multiplier in the bios and it was accepted. CPUz
> now says that my cpu is running at 2260 mhz.

What the hell did you change it to? 11.3x? LOL.

It's locked son. The only way to get 2260Mhz is by changing the FSB, (To
around 205) not the multi.
--
~misfit~

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:27:19 +1200, "Michael Brown"
> <see@signature.below> wrote:
>
>> tan wrote:
>>> I don't think it's locked. I just downloaded cpuz and I get the
>>> following:
>>> 2200mhz
>>> 200fsb x 11 multiplier (i lowered it in the bios0
>>> FAMILY 6
>>> STEPPING 0
>>> MODEL A
>>
>> Unfortunately, that's no use in determining if it's locked or not.
>> It just says you've got a Barton. To see whether it's locked, change
>> the multi in the BIOS and see if the multi as resported by CPUZ
>> changes, or post the 4-digit datestamp that's etched onto the die
>> (the 4 digits in the line that looks like AQZFA0410WPAW). If you've
>> bought your CPU in the last 8 months, there's a high chance that's
>> it's die-locked.
>>
>> [...]

Rich

"Bert Minor" <bminor@storm.ca> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Can someone tell me if AMD remarked 3200 cpus to meet demand. Both
> Sandra and Asus probe report the cpu as 3200+. I can easily run it at
> 12.5 multiplier at 200FSB without any proplems. CPU Temp is at 47c.
>
> Any ideas? Is this normal? Possible?

This isn't unusual, in fact I bought a retail 2500+ from newegg last week.
Bumped the FSB up to 200 and bam, instant 3200+ (both procs use 11x
multiplier). My Asus A7N8X reports the CPU temp at 46C, and even running
various CPU stress tests I can't get the temp to go over 51C. No special
cooling, I have a 430W Thermaltake power supply and a rear exhaust fan.
That's it.