Closed

Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro

I acquired a FFP joystick second hand (the original, product ID:
96755-579-0092310-00000; *not* FF2), but it did not come with a power adapter.

On the bottom of the joystick i can see that it takes 12VDC, 1.3A, but there
is no indication of the tip polarity. I don't want to risk pooching the thing
with the wrong power supply, because it seems to work fine without power,
just no force feedback, of course.

Perhaps someone could be kind enough to tell me what the specifications are
for the power adapter, and maybe where i might be able to get one (i'm in
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.)

Thank you.
5 answers Last reply
More about sidewinder force feedback

    In news:B9837AAF-3342-4C88-9CD1-B00C17AFAFDE@microsoft.com,
    Lean909 <Lean909@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I acquired a FFP joystick second hand (the original, product ID:
    > 96755-579-0092310-00000; *not* FF2), but it did not come with a power
    > adapter.
    >
    > On the bottom of the joystick i can see that it takes 12VDC, 1.3A,
    > but there is no indication of the tip polarity. I don't want to risk
    > pooching the thing with the wrong power supply, because it seems to
    > work fine without power, just no force feedback, of course.
    >
    > Perhaps someone could be kind enough to tell me what the
    > specifications are for the power adapter, and maybe where i might be
    > able to get one (i'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.)
    >
    > Thank you.

    Canadian electricity specs are akin to those in the USA. What I'm about to
    say is going to go against all your logic and is, indeed, illogical. So I
    will try to say it logically but it probably won't seem so. I have, many
    times, not known polarity on a device and had a universal adapter. I've set
    the the voltage to the closest available and then turned on the power. If
    there's a light then that's good, it generally doesn't come on unless it's
    right... Being DC that's a possibility... I guess the point I'm trying to
    make is that I've never burned out a device this way and that I've plugged
    in a number of devices using a universal adapter and hoped for the best...

    On second thought? Someone might actually know this... So this is just what
    you can do if no one seems to know.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    I don't know if the previous post was visible to you. It certainly wasn't to me.
    If you go eBay and input
    5794684173
    into the search. There is a joystick like the one you have described with a good
    enlargement of the power adapter.

    --
    Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "Lean909" <Lean909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I acquired a FFP joystick second hand (the original, product ID:
    > 96755-579-0092310-00000; *not* FF2), but it did not come with a power adapter.
    >
    > On the bottom of the joystick i can see that it takes 12VDC, 1.3A, but there
    > is no indication of the tip polarity. I don't want to risk pooching the thing
    > with the wrong power supply, because it seems to work fine without power,
    > just no force feedback, of course.
    >
    > Perhaps someone could be kind enough to tell me what the specifications are
    > for the power adapter, and maybe where i might be able to get one (i'm in
    > Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.)
    >
    > Thank you.

    Thank you, Mary, i got all the information i need from the excellently clear
    close up picture of the power adapter.

    For anyone else who may be searching for this info, here it is.

    Microsoft Part No. 96746
    12VDC 1.3A 28W
    Tip positive polarity
    plug shape: outer diam. 5.5mm, inner diam. 3.3mm, pin 0.95mm

    As it turns out, there is a suitable replacement available at RadioShack.

    --
    ad hoc techie

    "Mary Sauer" wrote:

    > I don't know if the previous post was visible to you. It certainly wasn't to me.
    > If you go eBay and input
    > 5794684173
    > into the search. There is a joystick like the one you have described with a good
    > enlargement of the power adapter.
    >
    > --
    > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
    > http://office.microsoft.com/
    > http://msauer.mvps.org/
    > "Lean909" <Lean909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I acquired a FFP joystick second hand (the original, product ID:
    > > 96755-579-0092310-00000; *not* FF2), but it did not come with a power adapter.
    > >
    > > On the bottom of the joystick i can see that it takes 12VDC, 1.3A, but there
    > > is no indication of the tip polarity. I don't want to risk pooching the thing
    > > with the wrong power supply, because it seems to work fine without power,
    > > just no force feedback, of course.
    > >
    > > Perhaps someone could be kind enough to tell me what the specifications are
    > > for the power adapter, and maybe where i might be able to get one (i'm in
    > > Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.)
    > >
    > > Thank you.

  4. i know this was long ago sorry- just found one of these old sticks. it has 9 pins on the 'dvi' type plug and I am looking for a USB adapter- can you share any info?

    thanx
  5. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Joystick Power Adapter Windows XP