Help a beginner!!!

Sam

Hello, i am a complete beginner with regards to newtworking. i would like to
set up a wireless network in my house to share an internet connection,
scanner, and printer. i have a main pc with a free PCI slots, another pc with
no free PCI slot (however does have a free USB port) and a laptop with a free
PCMCIA slot. what are the minimum components i need to buy to set up this
network? are there any web pages anyone can recommend to guide me through
networking step by step?

Cheers, Sam

Malke

Sam wrote:

> Hello, i am a complete beginner with regards to newtworking. i would
> like to set up a wireless network in my house to share an internet
> connection, scanner, and printer. i have a main pc with a free PCI
> slots, another pc with no free PCI slot (however does have a free USB
> port) and a laptop with a free PCMCIA slot. what are the minimum
> components i need to buy to set up this network? are there any web
> pages anyone can recommend to guide me through networking step by
> step?
>
> Cheers, Sam

Here are some links that will help you. I include the Linksys link not
because you must buy Linksys hardware of course, but because the
pictures are helpful.

Linksys networking information
http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

Wireless - Basic Configuration -
The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

And for general networking:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
(Pro)

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Additionally good IMHO one is
www.wown.com
Arkady

"Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Sam wrote:
>
>> Hello, i am a complete beginner with regards to newtworking. i would
>> like to set up a wireless network in my house to share an internet
>> connection, scanner, and printer. i have a main pc with a free PCI
>> slots, another pc with no free PCI slot (however does have a free USB
>> port) and a laptop with a free PCMCIA slot. what are the minimum
>> components i need to buy to set up this network? are there any web
>> pages anyone can recommend to guide me through networking step by
>> step?
>>
>> Cheers, Sam
>
> Here are some links that will help you. I include the Linksys link not
> because you must buy Linksys hardware of course, but because the
> pictures are helpful.
>
> Linksys networking information
> http://www.linksys.com/edu/
>
> Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx
>
> Wireless - Basic Configuration -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
> The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43
>
> And for general networking:
>
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
> (Pro)
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
> The world is diminished without him.

Quintin

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004

Beginners normally find it hard to configure networks using Windows tool
(frankly i dont blame them), try suing network magic, and also try setting up
a firewall. If you are going wireless try using something like Zone Alarm
Wireless.

good luck!

Cheers

Quintin
MVP wannabe

"Quintin" <Quintin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Beginners normally find it hard to configure networks using Windows tool
> (frankly i dont blame them), try suing network magic,

Why blame them? He probably won't have much success anyway.