Funny OC failure

I am running a 2600 Barton on an Epox 8KRA2+ which will run at 166FSB and
13.5 multiplier. I decided to have a play to try and tweak the OC so that
it ran closer to stock 3200 speed, so I tried 163FSB and 13x but it fails
to boot. Now that I dont understand, I could understand if I had upped the
FSB, but overall these settings are slower! Can anyone suggest why?

Stuart

sunbow

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

you cant change the mulitplier on your chip. only the FSB. put it back at
13.5 and it should boot back up.

"Sunbow" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in

> you cant change the mulitplier on your chip. only the FSB. put it back
> at 13.5 and it should boot back up.
> "Stuart Rogers" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> I am running a 2600 Barton on an Epox 8KRA2+ which will run at 166FSB
>> and 13.5 multiplier. I decided to have a play to try and tweak the OC
>> so that it ran closer to stock 3200 speed, so I tried 163FSB and 13x
>> but it fails to boot. Now that I dont understand, I could understand
>> if I had upped the FSB, but overall these settings are slower! Can
>> anyone suggest why?
>>
>> Stuart

No I can change the multiplier just fine, it boots at 11x 12x 13x and 13.5x
with no problems all with 166 FSB. I only have a problem if I tweak the FSB
up or down from 166!

Stuart

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:26:04 +0000, Stuart Rogers wrote:

> I am running a 2600 Barton on an Epox 8KRA2+ which will run at 166FSB and
> 13.5 multiplier. I decided to have a play to try and tweak the OC so that
> it ran closer to stock 3200 speed, so I tried 163FSB and 13x but it fails
> to boot. Now that I dont understand, I could understand if I had upped the
> FSB, but overall these settings are slower! Can anyone suggest why?

Most likely cause. The KT600 chipset doesn't have a PCI/AGP bus lock, so
at 163MHZ FSB you've overclocked the PCI/AGP buses beyond where your (and
probably anyone elses) PCI/AGP devices will function. AT 163 it's using a
4 divider (pci=40.75 agp= 81.5), at 166 it uses a 5 (33/66).

Something else. It also may be overclocking the ram bus by 30Mhz.
Basically, you're overclocking a 133MHz FSB to 163. Ram bus usually
follows the FSB overclock.

To see this, try setting the FSB to 140 and then check your bus speeds.

> "Sunbow" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > you cant change the mulitplier on your chip. only the FSB. put it back
> > at 13.5 and it should boot back up.
> > "Stuart Rogers" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >> I am running a 2600 Barton on an Epox 8KRA2+ which will run at 166FSB
> >> and 13.5 multiplier. I decided to have a play to try and tweak the OC
> >> so that it ran closer to stock 3200 speed, so I tried 163FSB and 13x
> >> but it fails to boot. Now that I dont understand, I could understand
> >> if I had upped the FSB, but overall these settings are slower! Can
> >> anyone suggest why?
> >>
> >> Stuart
> >

> No I can change the multiplier just fine, it boots at 11x 12x 13x and
13.5x
> with no problems all with 166 FSB. I only have a problem if I tweak the
FSB
> up or down from 166!
>
> Stuart

Yes, Sunbow was incorrect
You can set it to anything but (if it is lock'd) then it's only going to
boot at 13.5 no matter what..

166 -> 163 should leave you with no problems..
Tell us what else your changing

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in news:xK1Gc.593$Oh4.538
@newsfe2-win.ntli.net:

> "Stuart Rogers" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> "Sunbow" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>> > you cant change the mulitplier on your chip. only the FSB. put it
back
>> > at 13.5 and it should boot back up.
>> > "Stuart Rogers" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
OC

>> No I can change the multiplier just fine, it boots at 11x 12x 13x and
> 13.5x
>> with no problems all with 166 FSB. I only have a problem if I tweak
the
> FSB
>> up or down from 166!
>>
>> Stuart
>
> Yes, Sunbow was incorrect
> You can set it to anything but (if it is lock'd) then it's only going
> boot at 13.5 no matter what..
>
> 166 -> 163 should leave you with no problems..
> Tell us what else your changing

No it is not locked as I can boot at different multipliers all with 166
FSB and it boots fine at the correct speed for FSB x Multiplier.

Wes said that an FSB of 163 will probably use a divide by 4 for the PCI
speed giving a PCI clock much too fast to boot. I will try some more
combinations to see what happens

Stuart

sunbow

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

nobody`s perfect.....:)

"Sunbow" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> nobody`s perfect.....:)

heh

> "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
>> > >>
>> 166 -> 163 should leave you with no problems..
>> Tell us what else your changing

He has a KT600 chipset and it doesn't lock PCI/AGP like an NF2 chipset.
Going from 166 to 163 could radically change the pci/agp/ram buses.

> >> 166 -> 163 should leave you with no problems..
> >> Tell us what else your changing
> >>
> He has a KT600 chipset and it doesn't lock PCI/AGP like an NF2 chipset.
> Going from 166 to 163 could radically change the pci/agp/ram buses.

yeh yeh
I was wrong
but he read ur post first and said he seen it .. so there!