FSB and multiplier settings...HELP ME!

GodFather

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

PC configuration:

1.. AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (Socket A)
2.. Motherboard ASUS A7V600-X (BIOS 1002)
3.. 512 MB of RAM 400DDR Elixir
4.. HD Maxtor SATA 80GB.
5.. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1

The default settings in BIOS are:
CPU SPEED: 2083 MHz
CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE: 12.5x
CPU EXTERNAL FREQ.: 166/33
MEMORY FREQ.: AUTO
CPU VCore SETTING: AUTO

If I rise CPU EXTERNAL FREQ. from 166 to 200 ( =>400FSB right? ) and I
decrease CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE from 12.5x to 10.5x, do I obtain again about
2083 MHz in CPU SPEED, right?
Therefore, I wonder whether:

1)Since I have RAM 400DDR, do I gain something in terms of performance?
2)Do I cause a general overheating?
3)Do I have the same stability that I have now with default settings?
4)Can these changes be considered overclock?

It's useful to do these two changes?
Thanks

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:09:35 +0000, Godfather wrote:

> PC configuration:
>
> 1.. AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (Socket A)
> 2.. Motherboard ASUS A7V600-X (BIOS 1002)
> 3.. 512 MB of RAM 400DDR Elixir
> 4.. HD Maxtor SATA 80GB.
> 5.. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
>
> The default settings in BIOS are:
> CPU SPEED: 2083 MHz
> CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE: 12.5x
> CPU EXTERNAL FREQ.: 166/33
> MEMORY FREQ.: AUTO
> CPU VCore SETTING: AUTO
>
> If I rise CPU EXTERNAL FREQ. from 166 to 200 ( =>400FSB right? ) and I
> decrease CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE from 12.5x to 10.5x, do I obtain again about
> 2083 MHz in CPU SPEED, right?

2100MHz.

> Therefore, I wonder whether:
>
> 1)Since I have RAM 400DDR, do I gain something in terms of performance?

Yes, A little. Maybe 4%

> 2)Do I cause a general overheating?

Shouldn't.

> 3)Do I have the same stability that I have now with default settings?

You'll have to test and see. If you have good ram, you should.

> 4)Can these changes be considered overclock?

What does it matter?

> It's useful to do these two changes?

Not nuch, about 4%.:)

Wes Newell mumbled his insignificant opinion in:
pan.2004.07.04.16.58.52.933800@TAKEOUTverizon.net

>> It's useful to do these two changes?
>>
> Not nuch, about 4%.:)

That sure depends on how you benchmark it... Try a memory benchmark, and you
will notice an allmost direct proportional difference between 166 and 200. I
did same trick with my nforce2 board with xp2000, raised both cpu and ram to
200/400, and it scored 15% higher in memory benchmarks , and generally gave
a 3-5 fps increase in games -thats around a 5-10% increase.

Absolutely worth it.

"Godfather" <godfather@godfather.com> wrote in message
> PC configuration:
>
> 1.. AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (Socket A)
> 2.. Motherboard ASUS A7V600-X (BIOS 1002)
> 3.. 512 MB of RAM 400DDR Elixir
> 4.. HD Maxtor SATA 80GB.
> 5.. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
>
> The default settings in BIOS are:
> CPU SPEED: 2083 MHz
> CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE: 12.5x
> CPU EXTERNAL FREQ.: 166/33
> MEMORY FREQ.: AUTO
> CPU VCore SETTING: AUTO
>
> If I rise CPU EXTERNAL FREQ. from 166 to 200 ( =>400FSB right? ) and I
> decrease CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE from 12.5x to 10.5x, do I obtain again about
> 2083 MHz in CPU SPEED, right?
> Therefore, I wonder whether:
>
> 1)Since I have RAM 400DDR, do I gain something in terms of performance?
> 2)Do I cause a general overheating?
> 3)Do I have the same stability that I have now with default settings?
> 4)Can these changes be considered overclock?
>
> It's useful to do these two changes?
> Thanks

Is the CPU Unlock'd?

If not then your not going to be able to run it like that.

GodFather

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Yes the CPU is unlock'd

> Yes the CPU is unlock'd
>
> "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > "Godfather" <godfather@godfather.com> wrote in message
> > > PC configuration:
> > >
> > > 1.. AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (Socket A)
> > > 2.. Motherboard ASUS A7V600-X (BIOS 1002)
> > > 3.. 512 MB of RAM 400DDR Elixir
> > > 4.. HD Maxtor SATA 80GB.
> > > 5.. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
> > >
> > > The default settings in BIOS are:
> > > CPU SPEED: 2083 MHz
> > > CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE: 12.5x
> > > CPU EXTERNAL FREQ.: 166/33
> > > MEMORY FREQ.: AUTO
> > > CPU VCore SETTING: AUTO
> > >
> > > If I rise CPU EXTERNAL FREQ. from 166 to 200 ( =>400FSB right? ) and I
> > > decrease CPU FREQ. MULTIPLE from 12.5x to 10.5x, do I obtain again
about
> > > 2083 MHz in CPU SPEED, right?
> > > Therefore, I wonder whether:
> > >
> > > 1)Since I have RAM 400DDR, do I gain something in terms of
performance?
> > > 2)Do I cause a general overheating?
> > > 3)Do I have the same stability that I have now with default settings?
> > > 4)Can these changes be considered overclock?
> > >
> > > It's useful to do these two changes?
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > Is the CPU Unlock'd?
> >
> > If not then your not going to be able to run it like that.

Then yes, if you run @ 200fsb with the correct settings you'll see some
improvement.