July 6th 2004 the MBM development comes to a stop.

johny

January 21st 1998 the Internet saw the 1st version of MBM v. 1.0
Juli 6th 2004, about 7.5 years later the MBM development comes to a stop.

Yes you read it right, after thinking about it for several weeks I have
decided to stop development on MBM. Over the years many (if not all) clones
appeared that tried to do what MBM did. Some succeeded others did not. Some
I feel where technically and user wise better then MBM but with an average
of 6000 hits a day and coverage on almost every PC magazine in the world it
still seems to be the most popular monitoring tool around. And it is better
to stop at your peak :)
So why cancel MBM ? There are several reasons for this:

The industrie itself, it is getting harder and harder to get any good info
from companies, Abit and the Uguru was a good example but you can alsmost
put any other name in the list, getting info from ATI, VIA, SiS, Asus is as
good as impossible, and so I depend more and more on MBM users to help me
with info and it is just plain frustrating to keep sending mails to
companies asking for info and getting no or a BS reply back.
Time, I spend about an hour a day answering mail and answering the forum,
the FAQ does not stop many users from still mailing me with the same old
questions. This is not just the users fault, the design of MBM could have
been better but when I started it everything was pretty simple and the core
of MBM is simply old, making changes to it requires a lot of work and
changes.

Keeping up with the sensor world, many GFX cards come out with sensor chip,
I tried the plugin method in the hope that users would pick that up, a few
did but overal it was not a big success, so to keep MBM up to date I would
need to do the GFX stuff myself, wich means I need GFX cards. The donation I
get for MBM does not make up for that I am afriad

Motivation, 7.5 years is a long time...... :)
http://www.3degs.net/index.php?page=comments_news&article=169

Now johny...
What i have learned from this article is that there is hardware monitoring s
oftware out there that can get GFX temps, I'd like to get me one of those.
Can you think of one that can get me my ATI Radeon 9800 PRO temps through
MSI K8T800?

Thanks for a great program.

Do you have links to possible replacements by any chance? That would help us
MBM-dependents immensely.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"johny" <asdfae2@dfa.com> wrote in message
> January 21st 1998 the Internet saw the 1st version of MBM v. 1.0
> Juli 6th 2004, about 7.5 years later the MBM development comes to a stop.
>
> Yes you read it right, after thinking about it for several weeks I have
> decided to stop development on MBM. Over the years many (if not all)
clones
> appeared that tried to do what MBM did. Some succeeded others did not.
Some
> I feel where technically and user wise better then MBM but with an average
> of 6000 hits a day and coverage on almost every PC magazine in the world
it
> still seems to be the most popular monitoring tool around. And it is
better
> to stop at your peak :)
> So why cancel MBM ? There are several reasons for this:
>
> The industrie itself, it is getting harder and harder to get any good info
> from companies, Abit and the Uguru was a good example but you can alsmost
> put any other name in the list, getting info from ATI, VIA, SiS, Asus is
as
> good as impossible, and so I depend more and more on MBM users to help me
> with info and it is just plain frustrating to keep sending mails to
> companies asking for info and getting no or a BS reply back.
> Time, I spend about an hour a day answering mail and answering the forum,
> the FAQ does not stop many users from still mailing me with the same old
> questions. This is not just the users fault, the design of MBM could have
> been better but when I started it everything was pretty simple and the
core
> of MBM is simply old, making changes to it requires a lot of work and
> changes.
>
> Keeping up with the sensor world, many GFX cards come out with sensor
chip,
> I tried the plugin method in the hope that users would pick that up, a few
> did but overal it was not a big success, so to keep MBM up to date I would
> need to do the GFX stuff myself, wich means I need GFX cards. The donation
> get for MBM does not make up for that I am afriad
>
> Motivation, 7.5 years is a long time...... :)
> http://www.3degs.net/index.php?page=comments_news&article=169
>
> Now johny...
> What i have learned from this article is that there is hardware monitoring
> oftware out there that can get GFX temps, I'd like to get me one of those.
> Can you think of one that can get me my ATI Radeon 9800 PRO temps through
> MSI K8T800?

Ed

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 07:16:26 GMT, "johny" <asdfae2@dfa.com> wrote:

>January 21st 1998 the Internet saw the 1st version of MBM v. 1.0
>Juli 6th 2004, about 7.5 years later the MBM development comes to a stop.

On one hand I hate to see any free software die, but on the other hand I
say good riddance to MBM, it has become slow and bloated. Oh and the
window layouts/menus are the worst!

just my $0.02
Ed

hank

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Hank

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in

> Thanks for a great program.
>
> Do you have links to possible replacements by any chance? That would
> help us MBM-dependents immensely.

test

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in

> Thanks for a great program.
>
> Do you have links to possible replacements by any chance? That would
> help us MBM-dependents immensely.

Google for speed fan v1.3 is latest

Robin

Well, I appreciate your efforts and time in developing and maintaining a
quality product such as yours.

I have always enjoyed using your products.

Good luck on your further adventures.

Ty

I make that 6.5 years!

JW