mobo - gfx card thing

Hi
Forget the word, begins with G, with AMDs i read you had to install
something for the mobo to make the gfx card work, i knock up old puters from
bits and had trouble with 2.

does anyone know what im on about?

thanks!

Julian Hales wrote:
> Hi
> Forget the word, begins with G, with AMDs i read you had to install
> something for the mobo to make the gfx card work, i knock up old puters from
> bits and had trouble with 2.
>
> does anyone know what im on about?
>
> thanks!

Glide. It enables GFX which some games need for best graphics. I use
Open Glide v007b4 for my Red Baron 3D. There are various flavors of
Glide so do a Google search for the specific game you want to run. Hope
this helps.

--
FRH

"Frank Hagan" <none@no.net> wrote in message
> Julian Hales wrote:
> > Hi
> > Forget the word, begins with G, with AMDs i read you had to install
> > something for the mobo to make the gfx card work, i knock up old puters
from
> > bits and had trouble with 2.
> >
> > does anyone know what im on about?
> >
> > thanks!
> >

> Glide. It enables GFX which some games need for best graphics. I use
> Open Glide v007b4 for my Red Baron 3D. There are various flavors of
> Glide so do a Google search for the specific game you want to run. Hope
> this helps.
>
> --
> FRH

thanks, it was mentioned in Micro mart a few weeks back but 'her who must be
obeyed' thru it away, im sure it said check with mobo maker. looked at the
mobo in question but couldnt find any details, pretty old, have another
crack

thanks

"Julian Hales" <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> "Frank Hagan" <none@no.net> wrote in message
>> Julian Hales wrote:
>> > Hi
>> > Forget the word, begins with G, with AMDs i read you had to install
>> > something for the mobo to make the gfx card work, i knock up old
>> > puters
> from
>> > bits and had trouble with 2.
>> >
>> > does anyone know what im on about?
>> >
>> > thanks!
>> >

>> Glide. It enables GFX which some games need for best graphics. I use
>> Open Glide v007b4 for my Red Baron 3D. There are various flavors of
>> Glide so do a Google search for the specific game you want to run.
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> FRH
>

> thanks, it was mentioned in Micro mart a few weeks back but 'her who
> must be obeyed' thru it away, im sure it said check with mobo maker.
> looked at the mobo in question but couldnt find any details, pretty
> old, have another crack
>
> thanks

Are you thinking of GART this I think is a motherboard driver for the AGP
bus.

Julian Hales wrote:
> Hi
> Forget the word, begins with G, with AMDs i read you had to install
> something for the mobo to make the gfx card work, i knock up old puters
> from bits and had trouble with 2.
>
> does anyone know what im on about?

When you say install something... I presume you mean software, not hardware?

In which case, I would have to agree with robin0800 - Gart driver. Should
be part of your chipset driver package.

Ben

"robin0800" <robin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Julian Hales" <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>

> > "Frank Hagan" <none@no.net> wrote in message
> > from

> >> Glide. It enables GFX which some games need for best graphics. I use
> >> Open Glide v007b4 for my Red Baron 3D. There are various flavors of
> >> Glide so do a Google search for the specific game you want to run.
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> --
> >> FRH
> >

> > thanks, it was mentioned in Micro mart a few weeks back but 'her who
> > must be obeyed' thru it away, im sure it said check with mobo maker.
> > looked at the mobo in question but couldnt find any details, pretty
> > old, have another crack
> >
> > thanks
> >

> Are you thinking of GART this I think is a motherboard driver for the AGP
> bus.

oh yes, thats it, little world beginning with G

What part of a website would it be under? i have a couple of old, around
450mhz AMD nice little systems that i want to use with AGP cards.

I refurb other peoples leftovers and give away or LAN gaming for the local
kids, so this spec will be OK for SOF 2.

Thanks for the info.

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Julian Hales wrote:
> > Hi
> > Forget the word, begins with G, with AMDs i read you had to install
> > something for the mobo to make the gfx card work, i knock up old puters
> > from bits and had trouble with 2.
> >
> > does anyone know what im on about?
>

> When you say install something... I presume you mean software, not
hardware?

> In which case, I would have to agree with robin0800 - Gart driver. Should
> be part of your chipset driver package.

Thanks, i hate throwing anything away and someone game me a old pc a while
back, he said it was his sisters but crashed often, in safe mode it was ok
and after a bit of playing around sort of worked out what was wrong then the
hd failed, after a fresh install i still had probles and swopped the psu,
maybe this was the problem.

Guess its a case of taking off the case again and seeing who made the mobo
one question, is it a case of drivers for the chipset before the agp
drivers? just wonderd if any conflict if not done in correct order.

thanks

Julian Hales wrote:
> "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In which case, I would have to agree with robin0800 - Gart driver.
>> Should be part of your chipset driver package.
>
> Thanks, i hate throwing anything away and someone game me a old pc a while
> back, he said it was his sisters but crashed often, in safe mode it was ok
> and after a bit of playing around sort of worked out what was wrong then
> the hd failed, after a fresh install i still had probles and swopped the
> psu, maybe this was the problem.
>
> Guess its a case of taking off the case again and seeing who made the mobo
> one question, is it a case of drivers for the chipset before the agp
> drivers? just wonderd if any conflict if not done in correct order.

Perhaps you missed:
"Gart driver. Should be part of your chipset driver package."

You should be able to ascertain the chipset manufacturer by delving around
in device manager - IDE Controller drivers, various stuff in the System
devices and maybe the USB controllers should give it away.

You'll be looking for VIA, SiS or nVidia.

Ben

> Julian Hales wrote:
> > "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> In which case, I would have to agree with robin0800 - Gart driver.
> >> Should be part of your chipset driver package.
> >
> > Thanks, i hate throwing anything away and someone game me a old pc a
while
> > back, he said it was his sisters but crashed often, in safe mode it was
ok
> > and after a bit of playing around sort of worked out what was wrong then
> > the hd failed, after a fresh install i still had probles and swopped the
> > psu, maybe this was the problem.
> >
> > Guess its a case of taking off the case again and seeing who made the
mobo
> > one question, is it a case of drivers for the chipset before the agp
> > drivers? just wonderd if any conflict if not done in correct order.
>

> Perhaps you missed:
> "Gart driver. Should be part of your chipset driver package."
>

> You should be able to ascertain the chipset manufacturer by delving around
> in device manager - IDE Controller drivers, various stuff in the System
> devices and maybe the USB controllers should give it away.
>
> You'll be looking for VIA, SiS or nVidia.
>
> Ben

Couldnt find anything to take note from even with sisoft and a fresh devices
one i use.

"Matt" <m.t.day.ZZZ@ntlworld.com.ZZZ> wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:25:55 GMT, "Julian Hales"
> <julianhales@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> You should be able to ascertain the chipset manufacturer by delving
around
> >> in device manager - IDE Controller drivers, various stuff in the System
> >> devices and maybe the USB controllers should give it away.
> >>
> >> You'll be looking for VIA, SiS or nVidia.
> >
> >Couldnt find anything to take note from even with sisoft and a fresh
devices
> >one i use.
>
> Try Aida32, or it's replacement, Lavalys Everest
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3
>
> It should name the motherboard and chipset - If the system is a
> Socket 7 - AMD K6-2, then something like a VIA Apollo MVP3/4 chipset
> is likely

thanks, useful